What Resolution Are You Gaming With On PC?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering about what the people of Windows Central game at! For me it'll be primarily 1080p on my TV because... that's all it can handle, lol. Occasionally I'll do 1440p on my two monitors, it feels smoother and looks sharp. 4K? Forget about it, lol.

Does anyone game at a different resolution? Feel free to share!

TheDarkSide1

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I've been gaming on just plain ol' 1920x1080p resolution! I'm fine with it... Plus I can't go higher, my PC probably won't like it and that's the resolution of my monitor. I'll try 4K one day to see what all the hype is about, lmao... maybe one day.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm gaming at 1920x1200. I think it's the Dell U2412M. Works well enough for me and looks great too. I'm satisfied for now. I am curious to experience 4K gaming since we have a 4K TV and the 4K content on it looks fab, but I'll need to upgrade my PC in order to achieve anything decent :sweaty:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@gedzum, Nice! I still remember 2ish - 3 years ago, I was Gaming on a 1650x1050 monitor, I always though it was 1080p until I searched up the model number... lol. I can probably game @ 4K but probably won't get stable 60FPS... might need to get a 1080ti instead of my 980ti

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes I know what you mean! I remember gaming on an older LG monitor. I can't even remember the resolution! Maybe 1280x768.. but it was back when I didn't really understand much about tech and FPS etc. Used to think that worked fine as well. Just played Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 anyway.. no matter how old that game was lol

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Ah yes I know what you mean! I remember gaming on an older LG monitor. I can't even remember the resolution! Maybe 1280x768.. but it was back when I didn't really understand much about tech and FPS etc. Used to think that worked fine as well. Just played Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 anyway.. no matter how old that game was lol

Woah! We're bringing it back almost two decades with that game, lol! Nice! Then again, I have played the original "Doom" game back from 1993. Games like those bring back some great memories!

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Nice! I have no idea why I haven't played either of those two games yet! I might give it a try... eventually, lol.

Last edited:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Woah! We're bringing it back almost two decades with that game, lol! Nice! Then again, I have played the original "Doom" game back from 1993. Games like those bring back some great memories!

Absolutely! I could really get lost in those games. Not too hard to run either. I've had my eye on the new Doom game. Might consider picking it up sometime this year

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely! I could really get lost in those games. Not too hard to run either. I've had my eye on the new Doom game. Might consider picking it up sometime this year

The new Doom is pretty good and looks amazing, I had it for a few months. I never had a chance to beat it yet but I'm slowly getting there, lol. It's still $60 on Steam but you can find it for $30-$40 online like Newegg, target, etc... I recommend it!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The new Doom is pretty good and looks amazing, I had it for a few months. I never had a chance to beat it yet but I'm slowly getting there, lol. It's still $60 on Steam but you can find it for $30-$40 online like Newegg, target, etc... I recommend it!

Indeed it does. It's gotten a lot of great feedback. Good to hear you're progressing well in the game :D I saw it during the steam sale but hesitated to pull the trigger. Next time it goes on sale I'll try again. I'll look around for some deals too

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Nice!!

I hesitated during the 2K games sale. They had games like Bioshock 1, 2, and infinite, Mafia 3, Civilization Vi, Borderlands, etc on a crazy sale like last week or so. Not sure why I didn't get anything but I'll wait for the next big Steam sale! They always have one every once in a while!

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing much more PC gaming and streaming since I upgraded from my GTX 560ti to the GTX 1070 Seahawk X. I have been gaming at 1080p on my 144mhz gaming monitor. I could push 4K to my TV but i really enjoy the higher frame rates. Games I have been playing recently are Doom, Mafia 3, and Mass Effect Andromeda.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm on 1920x1200 (16:10 FTW). I'd really love to get a newer higher res monitor, with much higher pixel density, but I just can't go to 16:9 as it just looks too wide, and I want more vertical space. If only I could get a 3840x2400 display resolution rather than the regular 4k 3820x2160.

Also, since 3:2 is a bit of a thing with MS, I would go for that as well. I would really go for something like a surface studio if it was a monitor only. I wonder why no one is making something like that.

My problem with resolution is, I don't like odd sizes. Since a lot of content is 1080p, it's better to have some multiple of that rather than weird numbers so that you don't get weird pixel splitting to fill it out. I also don't mind black bars, so getting more vertical space is always a plus.

There's a 30 inch dell monitor I'm looking at on ebay atm, so might go for that to get 2560x1600. Might be a good upgrade, as I'm constantly battling out screen real estate, and haven't got room to go dual monitor, not to mention my current panel is a rather old TFT which doesn't look all that good.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been doing much more PC gaming and streaming since I upgraded from my GTX 560ti to the GTX 1070 Seahawk X. I have been gaming at 1080p on my 144mhz gaming monitor. I could push 4K to my TV but i really enjoy the higher frame rates. Games I have been playing recently are Doom, Mafia 3, and Mass Effect Andromeda.

Nice!!

144Hz! Who says you can stop at 60FPS? Lol, I love getting crazy frame rates! Something about it gives me a sense of... comfort or happiness, I guess lol.

I don't know if I want to go into the 10 series like a 1070 or 1080 yet... I'll keep what I got until this MSI 980Ti dies on me!

I absolutely love Doom and Mafia 3 both are great games to play and maybe even a little addictive. I haven't got to Mass Effect quite yet but I'll check it out!

I'm on 1920x1200 (16:10 FTW). I'd really love to get a newer higher res monitor, with much higher pixel density, but I just can't go to 16:9 as it just looks too wide, and I want more vertical space. If only I could get a 3840x2400 display resolution rather than the regular 4k 3820x2160.

Also, since 3:2 is a bit of a thing with MS, I would go for that as well. I would really go for something like a surface studio if it was a monitor only. I wonder why no one is making something like that.

My problem with resolution is, I don't like odd sizes. Since a lot of content is 1080p, it's better to have some multiple of that rather than weird numbers so that you don't get weird pixel splitting to fill it out. I also don't mind black bars, so getting more vertical space is always a plus.

There's a 30 inch dell monitor I'm looking at on ebay atm, so might go for that to get 2560x1600. Might be a good upgrade, as I'm constantly battling out screen real estate, and haven't got room to go dual monitor, not to mention my current panel is a rather old TFT which doesn't look all that good.

Nice !

I'm liking all the details in your writing!

I'll occasionally switch between dual 1440p Acer monitors and just my one 1080p Sharp TV, both for different occasions and different working styles.

I can't seem to remember if I'm on 16:9 or 16:10, I think one looks off or weird to me when I first started messing around with this tv so I just keep it on one and left it there.

I'm currently looking through my display setting on Windows 10 and realizing that there's some weird resolution above 1920x1080, it shows that 2715x1527 is available... which to me is an odd resolution... hmm. Have you ever tried this resolution?

Last edited:

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
2560x1440 atm
4K next

For someone wishing on the Studio monitor check the 32UD99 LG. Visual TV Size Comparison : Display Wars will show you that it's pretty much like the studio monitor with wings. You get a lower DPI, granted, but you do get 10 bit color/HDR gamuts and most of what the Studio monitor gets you into. Just look into it and see if it fits, or at least realize that 32" 4K monitors are in right size range to give a similar experience. Personally I'm waiting for DP 1.3 to come in more of the 32's before leaping but everyone has different needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750