Intel vs AMD

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
What do you all think about AMD releasing the 3rd generation Ryzen, and growing their market share? I think that it is hitting Intel harder than they initially anticipated. I also think that Intel might take a few years to catch up to where AMD is now, assuming AMD makes no more strides in the manner they have been.

I recently converted to AMD myself. I needed to seriously consider upgrading my PC for development classes that I am taking. Intel's offerings were disappointing at best. And the cost wasn't appealing either. When I did upgrade, I started hearing about Ice Lake a little more. And I was even more disappointed. The performance seemed to be lacking, and this was only the mobile chips. Desktop variants might still be better, but that is still speculation.

What is your take on the situation?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Price to Performance wise, AMD is the way to go at present for example you can get 6 Cores, 12 threads for £189.

Ryzen 5 3600.JPG

Whereas at present Intel's latest i7 Processer (a U variant on 14nm) is recommended to be sold at $443.

10th i7u.JPG

It's the only 10th gen i7 processors with 6 cores and 12 threads at present.

Intel 10th gen.JPG

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10710u-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-7-ghz.html

So to speculate, it looks like the desktop variants aren't going to be priced competitively.

However, you can of course find cheaper CPUs from previous generations but that means you are locked within that chipset. Whereas with Ryzen, we still have one more generation or so for AM4 so you could effectively spend more on high end motherboard and get a cheap first gen cpu then jump to 3rd gen later or do the opposite get a high end CPU and cheap motherboard. However that means you won't get the benefits of PCI-E 4 until you upgrade.

But if you want the latest and greatest you'll have to spend even more as PCI-SIG ratified PCI Express 5.0 this year just as AMD started pushing PCI-E 4.0. So now you're stuck in the waiting game and hoping AMD is able to integrate PCI-E 5.0 in Ryzen 4 haha.

Never the less, that scenario is infinitely better than being locked to chipsets/Sockets with an Intel build. As you still would be able to upgrade to Ryzen 4 on AM4 and get a bit more use out of your motherboard until Ryzen 4 boards mature.

Edit: I also forgot, you also have option to squeeze in an R9 3900x on AM4 aswell.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
So to speculate, it looks like the desktop variants aren't going to be priced competitively.

I'm inclined to agree; I think Intel won't be able to compete price-wise on the Ice Lake platform that it may stumble out of the gate (whenever that will be...).

Edit: I have the CPU you listed....it is a wonderful chip for the price.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used a pc since the one I had which had a Phenom II 925 I believe and switch over to a pc with a intel i7-2600 ok sure I know these are old chips and by far the winner was the intel cpu. Though I do wonder how AMD has changed there cpu as in would I be experiencing major gaming performance like I once did with the old computer I had. Was so sad. Though when I do see how the CPU's are with AMD these days im like wow they came a long way. I im not mistaken didn't intel licensed there threading technology to AMD a few years back? Correct me if im wrong. And if I am right. Could intel tell them at some point that they are not willing to licensed the technology to AMD anymore once the contract is over or am I getting it all wrong?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I haven't used a pc since the one I had which had a Phenom II 925 I believe and switch over to a pc with a intel i7-2600 ok sure I know these are old chips and by far the winner was the intel cpu. Though I do wonder how AMD has changed there cpu as in would I be experiencing major gaming performance like I once did with the old computer I had. Was so sad. Though when I do see how the CPU's are with AMD these days im like wow they came a long way. I im not mistaken didn't intel licensed there threading technology to AMD a few years back? Correct me if im wrong. And if I am right. Could intel tell them at some point that they are not willing to licensed the technology to AMD anymore once the contract is over or am I getting it all wrong?
, iirc hyper threading etc becomes less interesting the more cores you have (it can even slightly decrease performance I think in certain cases), considering how many cores some new cpu's nowadays have I think both parties may drop it eventually (might slightly improve security too iirc).
Anyway for desktops AMD is a no brainer: better price/spec, more cores (/futureproof), longer supported between motherboards and as a bonus you support the smaller company so better for competition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3