08-22-2015 03:32 AM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Most likely a mechanical one. Need to try out the switches first but from what I've read and the videos I've watched the MX Brown switches look like they will fit my likings.
    I have a very very expensive taste and the keyboard I have in mind is the Corsair Vengeance K70 (about 130€/180$). Not only because of the metal chassis but the flatness too (not the keys, the chassis itself -> pic for better understanding).
    I ruled out the K95 since it is only available with MX Red switches and I don't need the addictional macro buttons.
    The K65 is a tenkeyless and the K60 doesn't seem to be back-lit (plus, both don't have a wrist rest).

I'd like to get another Sidewinder X6 orX4 but they aren't available anymore here :-/
    I have the gun metal/brown switches K70 and I love it. Typing and gaming on it is brilliant. If you're considering it, I'd recommend it ;)
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    04-25-2014 01:54 AM
    How scratch-resistant is the surface of the alu-chassis? I don't want to get a black one and then have silver scratches all over it.

The K70 is actually my first choice right now but as I wrote, I first have to test the MX Cherry switches at a store (130 is quite a bit too much to just buy it online without trying them out first).
    The EpicGear Dezimator looks good too but unfortunately it isn't completely backlit and costs even more.
    A Corsair Vengeance with MX Cherry RGB would be very nice too but the price seems unreasonable (Kailh switches are said to be cheaper and offer 16Mio colors too).

Of course I will need some time to adjust to the mechanical keyboard (if I get one) since I've been using membrane keyboards for years now. Same with new mice.

Not sure if I get one next month or later (depending on what bugs me more - mouse+mousepad combo or the urge to get a new keybaord^^).
    04-25-2014 02:24 AM
    Yeah that's fair enough. I don't think there were many stores nearby that stocked it so just bought it online. For me, the thing I found I needed to adjust to most, was the key sizes were slightly smaller than my previous keyboard. I found myself making a few typing errors. I got used to it eventually though. I also saw some comments and reviews saying that some backlights are prone to dying and the RGB version addresses this issue. Haven't come across it personally, but I don't use the backlight all that often.
    04-25-2014 02:33 AM
    Backlight is essential to me (especially at night when I don't have the bright neon tubes on). The letters on my Sidewinder X6 are readable without backlight but on the Logitech G11 you really have to look for them.
    It's not about the keyboard itself I want to check but the switches.
    04-25-2014 02:46 AM
    Anyone use a blu-ray drive on their PC? I'm thinking of picking one up to primariliy watch some movies. Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation. Willing to spend up to or around 50. Internal or external drive is fine, however if it is external, then noise and (maybe) cable length will be factors. Thanks in advance
    05-05-2014 01:54 AM
    I have an external bluray writer with USB2.0 from Samsung (SE506BB), which will most likely not be in you budget of 50GBP (~80€ -> 57-65GBP on Amazon.co.uk). I can't really compare it to an internal one but it takes a few minutes to load movies/programs via USB (more than via SATA).
    The cables are usually kinda short, about 59cm from the end of one USB connector to the other, which sounds much but it isn't (intended to use with a laptop where the drive stands right next to it). I just use the one that came with my PS3 for charging the controller ;-)

Keep in mind that not every freeware program will play blurays!!! Fortunately the Samsung SE506BB came with Cyberlink PowerDVD. As far as I tried I couldn't get VLC Player to play them. Other programs will cost about 30-40€ and even more. I couldn't find a free bluray player that was really satisfying. Also: Cyberlink PowerDVD offers a region code change 5times. After that it will be locked to that region code.

Regarding the noise level: on load it CAN be a bit noisy but this is mostly subjective. It comes with small rubberfeet attached, don't know if additional rubber underneath it will lower the noise level.

I haven't tried it yet but according to the box it should even work on TVs like a regular bluray player.

If you decide on an external drive you should go for USB3.0 since it can take a few seconds (max. 5sec) to "reload" the content after you paused the movie.

The ones I got recommended were LG and ASUS but both were out of my budget (100€+).
    gedzum likes this.
    05-05-2014 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the detailed response. I'll check out that drive you mentioned, seems reasonable and good value. 57 doesn't seem too bad, especially considering it comes with that software. Another thanks for mentioning VLC, since that is what I usually use.

The noise thing isn't too big a deal, just something for me to look out for since when I was looking around some poeple brought it up on some drives.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    05-05-2014 11:06 AM
    There are some rumors and guides how to make VLC Player recognizing bluray. I tried it but it didn't work, also it seems to be kind of a grey-area :-/

After a short search on the web it turns out there isn't any really good bluray player software. I use PowerDVD by Cyberlink. It works (I'm really glad it does) but it's far away from VLC.
    Although if you don't mind having the movies on your HDD you could rip them with MakeMKV and convert them with Handbrake (fairly large files in .mkv format, L.A. Confidential was about 40GB before converting it and my i3-4130 CPU got kinda hot ~60C but I was told this is normal and I don't need to worry). I wouldn't recommend doing this on a regular basis unless you have sufficient aftermarket cooling ;-)

But honestly I don't know what the law says about this procedure.

Edit: Just ripping another bluray, seems like the CPU doesn't always get that hot (at least not during ripping, maybe when converting it, need to check it out).

Edit2: Okay, the CPU gets hot while converting^^ And it's quite time-consuming.
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 05-05-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    gedzum likes this.
    05-05-2014 12:14 PM
    I asked a few weeks back, and was told that there IS an extension for VLC to get Blu-Ray playback. As I don't have any Blu-Ray discs (or an optical drive), I have no interest in the application, nor do I have a way to test it.
    gedzum likes this.
    05-05-2014 01:44 PM
    I asked a few weeks back, and was told that there IS an extension for VLC to get Blu-Ray playback. As I don't have any Blu-Ray discs (or an optical drive), I have no interest in the application, nor do I have a way to test it.
    An official extension?
    05-05-2014 02:34 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into this in more detail over summer holidays.
    05-05-2014 05:20 PM
    An official extension?
    This is posted on the VideoLAN site, so I suppose it's at least semi-official:

VideoLAN - libbluray

They've got links to versions to handle Blu-Ray if it's protected by AACS or BD+, it says, so if the basic extension in there isn't good enough (they warn it isn't for many commercial discs), one of those should be a suitable alternative.
    05-05-2014 06:11 PM
    This is posted on the VideoLAN site, so I suppose it's at least semi-official:

VideoLAN - libbluray

They've got links to versions to handle Blu-Ray if it's protected by AACS or BD+, it says, so if the basic extension in there isn't good enough (they warn it isn't for many commercial discs), one of those should be a suitable alternative.
    That's the thing I tried out and I didn't get it to work (both 32 and 64 bit version). I'll try it again when I come home from work today to check if I did something wrong.
    05-06-2014 03:51 AM
    Well, as I said, they've got special versions for the different locks on the discs, so maybe one of those versions was needed.
    05-06-2014 10:32 AM
    Well, as I said, they've got special versions for the different locks on the discs, so maybe one of those versions was needed.
    Well, until there is less complicated (just tried it again, didn't get any Blurays to play) I'll just keep using PowerDVD.
    It's a shame that it's more complicated to play a Bluray on PC than on a dedicated Bluray player with a TV -_-
    05-06-2014 10:59 AM
    Did you try the other ones they linked? It says that the one in the main page isn't likely to work for many Blu-Ray discs, because of the copyright protection. They link you to solutions for those in there.
    05-06-2014 12:06 PM
    To be honest, I'm too frustrated and not really motivated enough to keep trying which keys might work, since I already got a program to play my Blurays :-P
    05-06-2014 02:04 PM
    Ok I picked up that drive you recommended. I got the white one since it was nearly 10 cheaper. At firrst I couldn't play bu-rays, that PowerDVD app kept crashing. It worked fine playing DVDs though. Turns out it may have been a Windows update since it is the only thing that changed. When I rolled back it was ok again.

The drive itself is sleek and seems solid enough. It is also somewhat audible, particularly noticeable in quiter scenes, but it isn't noisy per se. You were also right about load times, but once it gets going, playback is smooth. The only "complaint" is the CyberLink OEM suite. It installs quite a lot of things I probably won't use and I had to disable quite a lot of the start up things.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    05-15-2014 03:50 AM
    Ok I picked up that drive you recommended. I got the white one since it was nearly 10 cheaper. At firrst I couldn't play bu-rays, that PowerDVD app kept crashing. It worked fine playing DVDs though. Turns out it may have been a Windows update since it is the only thing that changed. When I rolled back it was ok again.

The drive itself is sleek and seems solid enough. It is also somewhat audible, particularly noticeable in quiter scenes, but it isn't noisy per se. You were also right about load times, but once it gets going, playback is smooth. The only "complaint" is the CyberLink OEM suite. It installs quite a lot of things I probably won't use and I had to disable quite a lot of the start up things.
    Nice! I have the white one too :-D

Strange....what version of Windows do you use? Worked fine with Windows 8.1 and all updates for me.

Yeah, it installs quite a lot and I had to disable some programs too (completely forgot about it....I guess I suppress such things that annoy me). But it's the best way to go when it comes to Bluray playback software, since there is no satisfying free solution and other programs you have to pay for also don't seem to be much better. So I'd say it's a welcome drop of bitterness, considering that it works just fine.

I was quite busy ripping and formatting Blurays and was really disappointed when I tested the files with VLC player and only a few worked and those who worked had non-removeable English subtitles :-( Haven't found a common thread yet so I can determine which Blurays will work and which won't (ripping and formatting; just playing them with PowerDVD worked with all I've tested yet). Have to tinker around with the settings of the programs a bit more.
    05-15-2014 10:35 AM
    Nice! I have the white one too :-D

Strange....what version of Windows do you use? Worked fine with Windows 8.1 and all updates for me.

Yeah, it installs quite a lot and I had to disable some programs too (completely forgot about it....I guess I suppress such things that annoy me). But it's the best way to go when it comes to Bluray playback software, since there is no satisfying free solution and other programs you have to pay for also don't seem to be much better. So I'd say it's a welcome drop of bitterness, considering that it works just fine.

I was quite busy ripping and formatting Blurays and was really disappointed when I tested the files with VLC player and only a few worked and those who worked had non-removeable English subtitles :-( Haven't found a common thread yet so I can determine which Blurays will work and which won't (ripping and formatting; just playing them with PowerDVD worked with all I've tested yet). Have to tinker around with the settings of the programs a bit more.
    Awesome man. I still haven't taken the plastic film off the top of it. Gives it a textured glass look. Also don't want it to get dirty lol. I might have to take it off eventually though since some it is coming loose already.

I'm also using Windows 8.1. The reason I thought it was a Windows update was because some games were also crashing on start up. It is strange because it was only a few of them. After I uninstalled the updates, everything seems to be working again. I was going to try Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre first since it seemed to get good feeback and didn't come with all the bloat that PowerDVD comes with. But that also crashed on start up. As a bundled free solution, PowerDVD is pretty feature rich and the interface is good.

Sounds like a let down that your Bluray rips didn't all work. Must have taken a while to rip them.

I know I kinda pushed this thread slightly off topic, so sorry..but last question about PowerDVD. Have you tried using that setting to try and enhance the image quality of DVD playback? I forgot what it is called. And if you have, do you have some graphic artifacts initially?
    05-16-2014 01:16 AM
    Awesome man. I still haven't taken the plastic film off the top of it. Gives it a textured glass look. Also don't want it to get dirty lol. I might have to take it off eventually though since some it is coming loose already.
    Mine came loose too on the sides, so I took it off. That's why I got the white one instead of the black (not a racist thing^^) because it's quite dusty here (dusting/vacuuming every second day -_-) and that would be much more visible on the black one.

I'm also using Windows 8.1. The reason I thought it was a Windows update was because some games were also crashing on start up. It is strange because it was only a few of them. After I uninstalled the updates, everything seems to be working again. I was going to try Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre first since it seemed to get good feeback and didn't come with all the bloat that PowerDVD comes with. But that also crashed on start up. As a bundled free solution, PowerDVD is pretty feature rich and the interface is good.
    That sucks :-/
    Haven't heard about TotalMedia Theatre at all (Arcsoft rings a bell but I can't relate it right now). Is it for free?

Sounds like a let down that your Bluray rips didn't all work. Must have taken a while to rip them.
    Yeah but that happend with some DVDs too (Underworld 2, Knights of the Coconut,...). Seems like they have a different protection.

I know I kinda pushed this thread slightly off topic, so sorry..but last question about PowerDVD. Have you tried using that setting to try and enhance the image quality of DVD playback? I forgot what it is called. And if you have, do you have some graphic artifacts initially?
    Hey, that's okay ;-) Look what the AMD vs Intel thread turned into^^
    I actually haven't tried any DVDs yet since I already have all my movies on the HDD. (Also I have to read up on 'graphic artifacts"^^)
    05-16-2014 09:15 AM
    Mine came loose too on the sides, so I took it off. That's why I got the white one instead of the black (not a racist thing^^) because it's quite dusty here (dusting/vacuuming every second day -_-) and that would be much more visible on the black one.

That sucks :-/
    Haven't heard about TotalMedia Theatre at all (Arcsoft rings a bell but I can't relate it right now). Is it for free?

Yeah but that happend with some DVDs too (Underworld 2, Knights of the Coconut,...). Seems like they have a different protection.

Hey, that's okay ;-) Look what the AMD vs Intel thread turned into^^
    I actually haven't tried any DVDs yet since I already have all my movies on the HDD. (Also I have to read up on 'graphic artifacts"^^)
    Yeah my room gets quite dusty too, no matter how hard I try and clean. I place it on top of my PC case and the white contrasts really well with the black.

When I was looking around for possible software solutions, I saw threads recommending TotalMedia Theatre. Unfortunately it is paid software, but it comes with a (2 week) trial I think. I just wanted to give it a try before commiting to PowerDVD.

Oh and the thing with the artifacts..it was like when I switched on that enhancement setting for DVDs it would introduce coloured boxes as it tried to do its enhancements. After a while they would go away and the final video is indeed a bit sharper. I was just wondering if it was normal for the coloured boxes to appear.
    05-16-2014 10:45 AM
    Yeah my room gets quite dusty too, no matter how hard I try and clean. I place it on top of my PC case and the white contrasts really well with the black.

When I was looking around for possible software solutions, I saw threads recommending TotalMedia Theatre. Unfortunately it is paid software, but it comes with a (2 week) trial I think. I just wanted to give it a try before commiting to PowerDVD.

Oh and the thing with the artifacts..it was like when I switched on that enhancement setting for DVDs it would introduce coloured boxes as it tried to do its enhancements. After a while they would go away and the final video is indeed a bit sharper. I was just wondering if it was normal for the coloured boxes to appear.
    I agree, the white one stands out in general more than the majority of multimedia devices (which are almost always black/-ish).

Ah, I understand. I'm quite satisfied with PowerDVD, especially because it came with the bluray player for free.

Have to try it out with a DVD. I sometimes have this phenomenon with older video files of tv shows that are already in bad quality (240p-360p). But that occurs when I use VLC.
    gedzum likes this.
    05-17-2014 03:54 PM
    Just a quick update about that artifacting issue in PowerDVD. Turns out it is most likely due to using the external drive. I'm guessing the USB interface isn't sufficient for that feature, maybe USB 3.0 might work but I only have USB 2.0 on my desktop. When I used my internal drive it worked smoothly when I turned on the enhancement feature. So I guess that issue is solved
    05-21-2014 01:29 AM
    Just a quick update about that artifacting issue in PowerDVD. Turns out it is most likely due to using the external drive. I'm guessing the USB interface isn't sufficient for that feature, maybe USB 3.0 might work but I only have USB 2.0 on my desktop. When I used my internal drive it worked smoothly when I turned on the enhancement feature. So I guess that issue is solved
    What enhancement setting do you mean?
    Now I really wanna try out if USB 3.0 does make a difference.
    05-21-2014 02:20 AM
113 1234 ...