Is an SSD worth it?

N00B2k16

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
(this is my first forum post :)) I just bought an Asus ROG G20CB computer. It doesnt have an ssd, just a 1Tb HDD ( because it is cheap for a pre built gaming pc.) It has (as far as I know) 2 hard drive places, so should I buy a 120gb ssd (about 70?/75$)? Does the os migrate process have risks?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

As mentioned above, you'll lose your Microsoft Windows activation if you move your OS partition to the SSD. You could always reinstall your OS again on the new SSD. If it was a Windows 10 upgrade from a lower OS version then you'll have to first install the lower OS version, activate, perform the Windows 10 upgrade again and check activation. After this Microsoft will have your new SSD saved for your machine's configuration and the next time you reinstall your OS you won't need a key anymore.

But to answer your question, yes SSDs do make a significant difference overall. It doesn't improve gaming performance though, just the load times. You can check some cheaper 128GB Kingston SSDs for $40-45 or go for 240GB Crucial BX SSDs for $60-65. Good luck!

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

Yes, yes, yes!!

I installed an SSD on my wife's PC as she only does web stuff mainly so no need for a 671TB HDD! I got a 128GB Kingston cheaply and it made no end of difference.

N00B2k16

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
re:

As mentioned above, you'll lose your Microsoft Windows activation if you move your OS partition to the SSD. You could always reinstall your OS again on the new SSD. ...
I'm not sure if I understood right... So if I use a software to clone my windows (10) to the SSD, I won't be able to activate it?? So what is the safest and best way to do the hdd> ssd migration process? Thx for answers! :)

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

Clean install would be the best way, but if you do clone it then you will have to activate it again. Is it a retail or oem version of Windows?

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
re:

No you DON'T need to activate it again if you clone it.
The license is locked to the motherboard, not the HDD.
I cloned my old laptop HDD to a new Samsung Evo, popped the new drive in with no problems, worked like a new PC.
I used Samsung's own software that came with the drive, never swapped or installed a new drive in my life before that.

N00B2k16

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
re:

Thx everybody, your answers have really helped! :) I am thinking of buying a Samsung SSD. Because they seem to be good, and I can then also use the Samsung's own software. Do you recommend any Samsung 2.5 SSDs (~128Gb)? It doesn't have to be super-fast. And after I clone the OS, and choose the SSD as a boot drive from bios, do I then need to delete the old OS partition from HDD?

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I got a 120GB one, was a bit short on storage but it was the only drive I had in it.
You should be able to keep the os on the other drive still, it's what I've done on my desktop after adding a SSD.
My advice for the steps to take to help hopefully stay away from problems.
1) Clone the drive externally. I used a usb 3 to sata cable (very cheap) and Samsung's own software, it's very easy and straightforward, it automatically copies the System Partition leaving you free to choose up to 2 others.
2) Remove the old drive and install the SSD. This way there's no conflict when booting from your new drive for the first time.
3) Check it works, boots fine etc and change the bios if necessary. It may do that itself saving you the hassle as it's the only drive there. (if your laptop has got 2 drives put the SSD in the old drive's space)
4) Plug your old drive in by using the cable (again helps protect from **** ups)
5) Make sure your SSD is labeled C and change the label of your old HDD to something else.
6) Put your old HDD back in and everything should be hunky dory.

TBH you can do it without swapping out the drives, but I hit a few problems first time that doing it this way aren't possible.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re:

No you DON'T need to activate it again if you clone it.
The license is locked to the motherboard, not the HDD.
I cloned my old laptop HDD to a new Samsung Evo, popped the new drive in with no problems, worked like a new PC.
I used Samsung's own software that came with the drive, never swapped or installed a new drive in my life before that.

Is this Windows 10 you mention about?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When choosing an SSD, please note that some of the cheaper units like Kingspec and others on eBay and Amazon don't handle re-writes on a constant basis very well and could fry in short order. The advantages of a good SSD trump any cost difference between a good 7200rpm HDD in every conceivable way. The caveat being: stay away from anything cheap.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The SSD is definitely a big deal if you're one to start your computer up a lot. If you let it idle and don't turn it off, it doesn't matter as much. If you're getting something small like 120/128 GB, I wouldn't bother aiming for a high-end brand. I got a Kingston 120 from Amazon during a pricing error (for $25). It's worked perfectly fine for a couple of years or so now. I'd go with a cheaper offering like Kingston short-term. If you go with a higher-end brand, then you might be better-off aiming for a 256- or 512-GB one, something that will last longer. You're supposed to partition 20% of the drive or so for protection. As someone with a 120-GB, I'm sitting under 20 GB now, have for a long time. If you're buying a gaming PC to game, you want something bigger to fit those games on, I imagine.

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Before you clone your existing drive, install the Windows newer ACHI SATA Drivers in place the existing older IDE Drivers for optimum performance with your SSD. Go with the Samsung EVO Series and you won't be disappointed.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Before you clone your existing drive, install the Windows newer ACHI SATA Drivers in place the existing older IDE Drivers for optimum performance with your SSD. Go with the Samsung EVO Series and you won't be disappointed.

I went with a Samsung EVO and could not be happier. Using the included software, it took me a whole hour to move my OS from beginning to end. For my homebuilt gaming PC the gains were quite noticeable. I highly recommend it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Consider upgrading to Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drives with atleast 256GB. Its small and has monstrous RW speeds over 2GB/s and 1.4GB/s respectively. And simply clone your current SSHD using Acronis or Samsung Cloning SW to new drive and you can keep both drives SSD:OS and essential SW and HDD:Large volume movie, music, old games etc. Since its a gaming PC the drive is good.
Doesn't Onedrive store your w10 license when you synced your PC with onedrive?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb