CPU Scratched.... Would it still work?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Im looking on buying a cpu for my laptop though haven't bought it yet as im unsure if the scratch's it has would have damaged it. Here a pic I wanted some input if anyone may know if I should or shouldn't get it. Thank you for any help. :)s-l1600.jpg

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Im looking on buying a cpu for my laptop though haven't bought it yet as im unsure if the scratch's it has would have damaged it. Here a pic I wanted some input if anyone may know if I should or shouldn't get it. Thank you for any help. :)View attachment 140390

First of all where are you buying it from and is the seller reputable?

I ask as there are chances it can be DOA cpu and if that happens what recourse do you have?

Lastly, how much is the CPU and how much are you willing to pay?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
First of all where are you buying it from and is the seller reputable?

I ask as there are chances it can be DOA cpu and if that happens what recourse do you have?

Lastly, how much is the CPU and how much are you willing to pay?

its on ebay and he giving 5 days for refund if its DOA upon it arrivaing. So guess when I get it id have to put it in immiadtely to see if its not DOA. :S

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
its on ebay and he giving 5 days for refund if its DOA upon it arrivaing. So guess when I get it id have to put it in immiadtely to see if its not DOA. :S

Looks like that would be your only option as no one can say for certain if it's a good buy without the price range :).

Good luck!

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Looks like that would be your only option as no one can say for certain if it's a good buy without the price range :).

Good luck!

Thanks its only 70 dollars for a Ivy Bridge cpu. The guy say on description that it is funtional upon testing it before taking it out. Speaking of testing. Whats a good cpu testing software now that I think about it? Any recommendations?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks its only 70 dollars for a Ivy Bridge cpu. The guy say on description that it is funtional upon testing it before taking it out. Speaking of testing. Whats a good cpu testing software now that I think about it? Any recommendations?

Well, you have your usual synethic benchmarking software suchas Cinebench, there's prime95 for the overkill workload stress testing and for indepth monitoring there's HWiNFO64, Speedfan and you may be able to get away with MSI afterburner for a third level of monitoring on a laptop - never tried so your mileage will vary.

Lastly both CPU-Z and GPU-Z both have benchmarking capabilities so does AIDA64 although I'm not sure if that is available in the free version.

Out of curiousity what thermal compound are you looking to use and I'm guessing your going to be using your current CPU cooling solution?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, you have your usual synethic benchmarking software suchas Cinebench, there's prime95 for the overkill workload stress testing and for indepth monitoring there's HWiNFO64, Speedfan and you may be able to get away with MSI afterburner for a third level of monitoring on a laptop - never tried so your mileage will vary.

Lastly both CPU-Z and GPU-Z both have benchmarking capabilities so does AIDA64 although I'm not sure if that is available in the free version.

Alright I'll take a look. Though based on what you see on the pic.. The scratch's not going to cause harm to the cpu is it?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Alright I'll take a look. Though based on what you see on the pic.. The scratch's not going to cause harm to the cpu is it?

To behonest It's hard to tell from that image quality and the image looks like it's been taken on carpet (so be weary about the static discharge unless he or she was earthed when they took that picture via anti static wrist band). So it could be just lint and if it's indeed a scratch on the actual CPU itself then yes there is a possibility (as it depends how deeply it's scratched). If it's just the IHS then no, you'll be fine.

If I was you would ask the buyer to send a clearer image with the the lint or whatever those specks are removed. That would give you a better indication of the condition of the underside of the CPU itself.

Last edited:

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
To behonest It's hard to tell from that image quality and the image looks like it's been taken on carpet (so be weary about the static discharge unless he or she was earthed when they took that picture via anti static wrist band). So it could be just lint and if it's indeed a scratch on the actual CPU itself then yes there is a possibility (as it depends how deeply it's scratched). If it's just the IHS then no, you'll be fine.

If I was you would ask the buyer to send a clearer image with the the lint or whatever those specks are removed. That would give you a better indication of the condition of the underside of the CPU itself.

This the buttom part of the cpus-l1600.jpg

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

sorry that is NOT a carpet... that looks like to be an E.S.D. pad underneath, they came in brown-ish and green... as for the scratch, I've been building computers for the better of 10 years and that scratch is minuscule and will not impact the CPU whatsoever... as long as the connector pins are not broke/bent then you have nothing to worry about. I've seen worse and CPU worked fine... as long as there is no breakage. now make sure you put an even amount and not too much thermal and you will be fine.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This the buttom part of the cpuView attachment 140392

Ah right, I figured as much but since there was image of the underside cpu shown It was hard to say for certain. You should be fine in terms of that scratch.

sorry that is NOT a carpet... that looks like to be an E.S.D. pad underneath, they came in brown-ish and green... as for the scratch, I've been building computers for the better of 10 years and that scratch is minuscule and will not impact the CPU whatsoever... as long as the connector pins are not broke/bent then you have nothing to worry about. I've seen worse and CPU worked fine... as long as there is no breakage. now make sure you put an even amount and not too much thermal and you will be fine.

Fair enough, I've seen carpet/underlay in that form/style before as I used to work in real estate for awhile plus it could be part of a Sofa or part of an underlay - you can get laminate that look like tiles and you can laminate that looks like it has tiles or carpet on them but look like traditional laminate from a distance - if you have the money you can get anything made as you want it and even have an entire floor as an aquarium of gold fish if you're looking to over board.

My point is it could be anything as there is no other image that provides distance context.

Plus the Image is not really of great quality either as it's leading to people to speculate on what it is laid on and plus I imagine the OP didn't link the Ebay listing is that he/she didn't want someone just snapping a deal lol.

So what would be helpful here is a zoomed out image showing on what the image of CPU was taken.

I've learned to never to presume or assume let alone speculate when it comes computer hardware and software. As there are far too many variables involved.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Ah right, I figured as much but since there was image of the underside cpu shown It was hard to say for certain. You should be fine in terms of that scratch.

Fair enough, I've seen carpet/underlay in that form/style before as I used to work in real estate for awhile plus it could be part of a Sofa or part of an underlay - you can get laminate that look like tiles and you can laminate that looks like it has tiles or carpet on them but look like traditional laminate from a distance - if you have the money you can get anything made as you want it and even have an entire floor as an aquarium of gold fish if you're looking to over board.

My point is it could be anything as there is no other image that provides distance context.

Plus the Image is not really of great quality either as it's leading to people to speculate on what it is laid on and plus I imagine the OP didn't link the Ebay listing is that he/she didn't want someone just snapping a deal lol.

So what would be helpful here is a zoomed out image showing on what the image of CPU was taken.

You are smart about the deal as it was 70 dollars. :) I just order the cpu. As im hoping to be able to put it into my hp elitebook 8570p that I got a few weeks ago for 100 dollars. It currently has a Intel i5-3360m 2,8ghz dual core the one above is a Intel Core i7-3740QM 2.7ghz quad core. I know it may sound silly since the laptop don't have a dedicated graphic card though I heard of people being able to put a eGPU on it by using expresscard. So I may turn this laptop into a gaming rig. Only thing id need is 16gb of ram as it only has 8gb of ram currently. Though thank you for the info. I will report back by the 14th when I get it so I have someone to guide me threw it i have a little shakes in my hands do to a very mild case of cerebral Palsy. I just hope I'll be abele to do this easily as the back plate of the laptop is easy to take off just unlock panel and slide it out and there everything right there. No digging around or unscrewing a bunch of stuff to get into it.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys quick question. I was looking at my motherboard looking inside the laptop and I grab a image online of the same motherboard. I know one is for wifi though there one more maybe a slot above im not sure exactly what it is can anyone tell me? Here a pic and my laptop is a HP EliteBook 8570p2.jpg

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiousity what thermal compound are you looking to use and I'm guessing your going to be using your current CPU cooling solution

As onto your question. Im not sure I don't have any. I have a 20 dollar gift card for best buy so im going to drop into my local best buy and see what they have. I went there a few days I believe there were two options. Though if you have recommendations im all open for recommendations. that if you speaking of Thermal paste. If you mean as cooling system. Well only fan as you know with a laptop. :p :)

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I was once repairing Sony and Toshiba laptops as a service provider. I would be surprised if that CPU has issues. Assuming they removed properly, did not abuse it and used anti-static precautions it should be fine. They are tougher than you think.

I would be more concerned about how it actually performs in your laptop. Make sure you re-apply fresh thermal paste or even add the OEM thermal pad(s) if possible. Sometimes they have thermal pads on the Graphic Chip or other IC chips, just depends. The design of that board was made for the lower voltage 3360M, so even though the socket allows the CPU to fit, it may not perform completely to its capabilities. At least you can try and see, and return if you need to.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would be more concerned about how it actually performs in your laptop. Make sure you re-apply fresh thermal paste or even add the OEM thermal pad(s) if possible. Sometimes they have thermal pads on the Graphic Chip or other IC chips, just depends. The design of that board was made for the lower voltage 3360M, so even though the socket allows the CPU to fit, it may not perform completely to its capabilities. At least you can try and see, and return if you need to.

Actually I may stand corrected, if the HP EliteBook MB sku for the i7 model 8570p is the same as the MB sku for the i5 8570p you should be fine.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Actually I may stand corrected, if the HP EliteBook MB sku for the i7 model 8570p is the same as the MB sku for the i5 8570p you should be fine.

I've look at thee manual book on hp also found a few models on ebay with that cpu in it along with newegg and so on having the cpu in it. It is compatible to the laptop with the same fan and heatsink and all. I made sure I got the right one before. Thanks fhough for double checking :) Though no one seems to know my question about the motherboard thing I posted above lol. Im puzzled.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've look at thee manual book on hp also found a few models on ebay with that cpu in it along with newegg and so on having the cpu in it. It is compatible to the laptop with the same fan and heatsink and all. I made sure I got the right one before. Thanks fhough for double checking :) Though no one seems to know my question about the motherboard thing I posted above lol. Im puzzled.
Ya I read more on the sock/board for that elite book and yes it's fine.

For your question with the bare board pic? Are you referring to something hidden a bit from view? I see the two dimm slots but can't tell what your pointing at?

It could be a Bluetooth slot or some other pcie slot like maybe for a wwan card...

I don't think it is a m.2 slot is it? Or nvme?

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Ya I read more on the sock/board for that elite book and yes it's fine.

For your question with the bare board pic? Are you referring to something hidden a bit from view? I see the two dimm slots but can't tell what your pointing at?

It could be a Bluetooth slot or some other pcie slot like maybe for a wwan card...

I don't think it is a m.2 slot is it? Or nvme?

the first one above is what im confused about the second one pointing to the side that say for wifi is where it shows in my unit with the wifi card though when i glance up i see the second part as I state above what is this? Cause on my board there nothing on the top one it looks kinda like a pci-e though im not sure cause the bottom one has my wifi card in hint the one stating wifi pci-e. I'm so sorry I must of been so tired that night im like no wait that the ram slots. Let me show you a proper arrow of what im talking about. Here the right one im speaking of lol.

Inkeds-l1600LGVL8DDKI.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)