Do you believe in the second screen experience?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So far two screens haven't done much for the Wii U but that's not stopping Microsoft and Sony from incorporating tablets and smartphones into next gen games. Do you think this approach will ever take off? At least with the Wii U the second screen is already in my hand. It's going to be awkward trying to juggle a tablet/smartphone and controller.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I watch the PS4 being demonstrated with this feature for two games which was Battlefield 4 when the player was on a tablet or smartphone and could select were the missiles were going to hit and for tom clancy division where a player can entering as a drone which can spot enemies and be a distraction. I know the PS4 was talking about playing anywhere, I suppose they could add a second screen however I won't be too keen on such an idea.

I want to be watching my 32 inch TV not a 5 inch screen!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I want to be watching my 32 inch TV not a 5 inch screen!

Which is one of the frustrating things about using the Wii U. I've only played one a handful of times at a friend's but it's strange switching my eyes back and forth. The second screen probably works best in the hands of a friend. However, with tablets coming in so many shapes, sizes and software configurations, the second screen experience amongst tablets might vary greatly.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel it depends so much on how it's done. I'm not really a fan of the idea if it requires someone to use it full time, sort of. There are many ways to take use of such things like certain managemental things, an interactive map, etc, but I would avoid trying to make it into an actual second controller.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Coreldan: it depends on the execution of the second screen. In time someone will find the right application and it'll take off. What microsoft is doing with smartglass feels like it's only the tip of the iceberg (e.g. used mostly to show additional data). Nintendo I think should be given some credit for trying to bring more immersion with that experience.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally no other than showing stats, or maps or navigating the UI but having two active screens with gameplay.. people will need two extra eyes lol. However I guess when it comes to clan battles / team fire fights it may come in handy. Never the less since the second screen experience is here to stay, I guess all we can do is just adapt the same way we have learned to use the PS or Xbox controller without self mutating second thumbs.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Personally no other than showing stats, or maps or navigating the UI but having two active screens with gameplay.. people will need two extra eyes lol. However I guess when it comes to clan battles / team fire fights it may come in handy. Never the less since the second screen experience is here to stay, I guess all we can do is just adapt the same way we have learned to use the PS or Xbox controller without self mutating second thumbs.

Having/needing a second screen is not only not very popular, I don't think it is here. There are very few examples where it makes any sense playing a single player game.

In video game past, playing games in the same room used to be extremely popular. While people still do it today, it happens A LOT less, defaulting to multiplayer over the internet. With this being true, a second screen doesn't really make sense for multiplayer either.

I see it simply as companies trying to find something new to do.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Having/needing a second screen is not only not very popular, I don't think it is here. There are very few examples where it makes any sense playing a single player game.

In video game past, playing games in the same room used to be extremely popular. While people still do it today, it happens A LOT less, defaulting to multiplayer over the internet. With this being true, a second screen doesn't really make sense for multiplayer either.

I see it simply as companies trying to find something new to do.

Yup, I guess it hows how it is implemented imo being able to on separate screens on the same console in the same room would have been nice (if you could stand the noise :p) i.e Player One has one 21inch screen and Player two has the 2nd 21inch screen so on.

True, I miss the n64 days playing mario kart, mario tennis etc (gamecube version was not so good.. imo it was to kiddified), playing time splitters 4 players on the Ps2.. lol endless fun. Oh No Mercy on the n64 - one ladder match lasted pretty much a day and half, my cousin's and I only stopped playing cos the console overheated and froze LOL. These days games just don't have that appeal it becomes stale after a few matches. Then again I guess you could call that growing up lol.

General rule of thumb, if you don't take risks you can not innovate - something may catch on where as it might just disappear quicker than a ice cube in a desert.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte