[#SaveXboxWP] Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend. #SaveXboxWP

Don't worry man, I'll keep fighting this everyday! Why not add Ben Rudolph (@BenThePCGuy) since he is also another big player in the WP space?

He's the guy from some Microsoft commercials, right? Is he a Microsoft employee? What does he do exactly? If he has clout with Microsoft then I say yes, let's tweet to him too!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Asphalt 8 is NOT an Xbox Title: Let's Mobilize to Reverse the Trend. #SaveXboxWP

Well, I had held out hope despite the premature launch of Angry Birds Go! a few days ago, but today Rovio officially launched Angry Birds Go! without Xbox integration. It is their first non-Xbox game on WP. They've joined Gameloft in abandoning the platform. I've added the relevant Twitter accounts to the list above. Start Tweeting @AngryBirds and @Rovio along with @Microsoft and @Gameloft in the #SaveXboxWP Twitter crusade. Our hopes now lie with EA, Ubisoft, and Microsoft Studios as the only major publishers left who have yet to officially abandon Xbox on WP.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I'll be tweeting this out.

Don't forget to search Twitter for #SaveXboxWP and then re-tweet some of your comrades' tweets. The best ones to re-tweet are those that call out the Microsoft executives' accounts listed in the original post. Thanks for you help. Spread the word!

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I did, I'm glad I'm not the only one that this is important to. I bought a WP8 as soon as I found out that I could earn achievements and play against my fellow Xbox Live friends. If these games disappear I really don't see the point of keeping a Windows Phone which is a shame because I feel like there's a niche to be filled. I personally don't feel like packing two devices around (i.e. tablet, handheld), so my phone is also my gaming system on the go. There's not another platform that fully addresses this need, because WP8 works directly with your Xbox Live account.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

He's the guy from some Microsoft commercials, right? Is he a Microsoft employee? What does he do exactly? If he has clout with Microsoft then I say yes, let's tweet to him too!

Yes, he does a lot of their commercials. He's does a lot with pushing Windows Phone to customers. He also has some say with Microsoft and I know he would try to at least get the word put to them.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Yes, he does a lot of their commercials. He's does a lot with pushing Windows Phone to customers. He also has some say with Microsoft and I know he would try to at least get the word put to them.

Cool. I'll add his Twitter handle to the original post.

I started this on instagram as well.

Excellent! Also, the #SaveXboxWP movement is getting blogged about too!

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site

This is happening bcs developers are sick of Xbox bureaucracy. I'd be too for the stupid paper work oneself has to do. Any way... I think it doesn't really matter games are good despite Xbox support lacking it will not make it automatically bad. bcs to be honest there are ugly Xbox labeled games out there.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

This is happening bcs developers are sick of Xbox bureaucracy. I'd be too for the stupid paper work oneself has to do. Any way... I think it doesn't really matter games are good despite Xbox support lacking it will not make it automatically bad. bcs to be honest there are ugly Xbox labeled games out there.

We in the #SaveXboxWP movement agree that the Xbox certification process on Windows Phone is not good. That's one of the goals of the movement: to prod Microsoft to fix it and extend the ID@Xbox program to WP and Windows 8/RT so that indie developers can self-publish like they can do on Xbox One. Help us out!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Forum member DJCBS pointed out that EA stripped Tetris Blitz of Xbox branding with an update on 13 December 2013. Xbox achievements still seem to be in the game, buried in submenu, but in the Windows Store the game has lost the Xbox branding ribbon. I've added EA's Twitter accounts--@TetrisBlitzEA, @EA, and @EAMobile--to the original post. Tweet them and tell them it's not okay to take away Xbox branding from games we've already purchased or downloaded.

This is really worrisome because for some reason I was holding out hope that, despite Gameloft's, Rovio's, MiniClip's defections, that EA and Ubisoft would still release Xbox games. This can only mean that Microsoft themselves are killing Xbox on Windows Phone because there is no way that all other developers would suddenly start eschewing it.

UPDATE: As of 18 December 2013, the Xbox banner is now back on the game art for Tetris Blitz in the Windows Phone app store. That was a very bizarre series of events. The good news is that there is now no official evidence yet that EA has given up Xbox support like Gameloft, Rovio, and Miniclip have.

Last edited:

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Phil Spencer tweeted me back :) he said more titles coming next year

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Phil Spencer tweeted me back :) he said more titles coming next year

Really?! Can you link us to the tweet?

Edit: Found the link!

This is promising. We at least know now that the #SaveXboxWP movement has caught the attention of at least one Microsoft executive. Everyone, keep tweeting to the accounts listed in the original post. There is still hope yet.

Last edited:

TNTJudbud

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Sorry but that twitter reply clear states "WP Games"! LMAO no where in his tweet does he say "Xbox or Live" PERIOD!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Sorry but that twitter reply clear states "WP Games"! LMAO no where in his tweet does he say "Xbox or Live" PERIOD!

Phil's tweet was a reply to a #SaveXboxWP tweet that said "@XboxP3 Please support and encourage Xbox windows phone games. They're what brought me to the platform and keep me there. #savexboxwp." So, yes, while his response is ambiguous in that it says "new WP releases from us" and doesn't explicitly say those release will be Xbox branded, it implies that they will, especially since Microsoft Studios has never released a non-Xbox game on Windows Phone (although, they did release a 'crafting guide' for Age of Empires Online, but that wasn't a game). Still, yes, obviously it would've been more reassuring had he explicitly said "Xbox" in his reply, but the fact that he acknowledged the #SaveXboxWP movement with a reply is good news.

There is, of course, a nontrivial chance that even Microsoft Studios will start releasing non-Xbox games on Windows Phone. There is some precedence for this as they have released two educational kids games for Windows 8/RT that are not Xbox-branded (Kodu Game Lab, Sesame Street Touch & Learn TV). For this reason, we need to keep tweeting them to #SaveXboxWP. So, maybe you can help us out instead of whatever it is that you were trying to achieve with your post.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I don't own an Xbox so is there a reason I should care? In fact I never liked achievements in games.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't own an Xbox so is there a reason I should care? In fact I never liked achievements in games.

Yes, there are a few reasons you should care (assuming you care about Windows Phone's growth):

1. Growth of Windows Phone
Xbox on Windows Phone is good for the growth of both Windows Phone (and Xbox, but more on that later). Right now Windows Phone is the 3rd most popular mobile OS in the world, but it is way behind the first (Android) and second (iOS). What this means is that Windows Phone needs every advantage it can get to help convince people to switch over. No one here is saying that Xbox on Windows Phone is going to convince the masses (who mostly don't care about games) to switch to Windows Phone, but there is certainly a sizable niche of consumers who do enjoy mobile gaming. Right now, iOS and Android have way more games and they get them way sooner. To help offset that, Windows Phone needs as many distinguishing features as it can get. One such feature is Xbox integration.

Here is why Xbox integration is cool.
1. Exclusivity: your friend has Mirror's Edge on his iPhone and he thinks it's cool. You show him your version of Mirror's Edge with extra features that he doesn't have and can't get unless he makes the switch. Many gamers care about that kind of stuff, particularly those who are more likely to actually buy games and support developers
2. Features:
(a) Achievements: You may not care about achievements now, but they are actually a brilliant innovation that Microsoft introduced to the gaming realm. They add replay value by encouraging you to play the game in different ways to fully complete it (it is really satisfying to 'complete'--i.e. get all the achievements--in some games; I'll never forget the first game I completed--Hexic Rush on Windows Phone--when I got that final, really challenging achievement). Even better is that it then records all of your progress for that game and ties it to your profile (gamertag), which allows you to compare your progress with friends, which makes gaming more social. Which leads us to...
(b) Social Gaming: Xbox gaming allows you to make friends (both random people you meet in games that have the same interest as you as well as your friends and family in real life) who you can then easily play games with online in games that have Xbox integration, compare high scores and game progress via leaderboards, send messages back and forth, and follow their game activity. For example, I set up gamertags for all of my immediate family, none of who have Xboxes but all of who have Windows Phone. Now we can all play against each other in Carcassonne, Alphajax, Wordament, Kingdoms & Lords, etc, and everyone really enjoys being able to easily play with and follow each other's progress. People that don't care at all about console gaming still like the social features that Xbox on Windows Phone bring.

2. Growth of Xbox
You don't own an Xbox, but I'm guessing you still care about the success of Microsoft, or at least Windows Phone. Well, their success is all intertwined in this contemporary world of 'ecosystems'. Guess what, I never owned an Xbox before either (or a PlayStation or a Nintendo). I also didn't care about Xbox achievements and found them kind of silly--a digression from the actual game. My friends all had Xbox 360s and always nagged me about buying one but I rebuffed them. Then I got a Windows Phone and tried out a few Xbox games. My friends, iOS and Android users, were suddenly intrigued when I added them as an Xbox friend and then saw I was playing Xbox games on my phone (this drew them to Windows Phone). I got a Surface too and started playing Xbox games on there too. Soon I began to appreciate the benefits of Xbox's achievements and social gaming features listed above. Shortly thereafter I decided to preorder an Xbox One and my friends did as well, and they also ditched their iPhones and Androids and picked up some Windows Phones too. Now, this is not to say that everyone who plays Xbox on WP is suddenly going to buy an Xbox One, or that everyone who owns an Xbox is suddenly going to buy a Windows Phone just to play Xbox on the go, but many people will, and even those who don't are still new customers in the ecosystem.

In short, you may not own an Xbox console now, and you may not even care about Xbox achievements now, but there is a non-trivial chance that if you really looked at the benefits if Xbox gaming on Windows Phone, that you may come to appreciate achievements, and you may even find that you're more enticed to buy an Xbox One or Xbox 360, etc. But, even if that never happens, surely you can see how the exclusive features of Xbox gaming on Windows Phone help distinguish it from iOS and Android, which is only a good thing. Xbox on WP --> Growth of WP --> Growth of Xbox --> Growth of WP --> etc.

So, even if you find this whole #SaveXboxWP uproad "silly", I encourage you to still help out your Windows Phone comrades by going to Twitter, searching for #SaveXboxWP posts and re-tweeting them.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I agree that having an exclusive feature on Windows Phone is a definite plus but being a PC gamer, I always felt consoles held gaming back. But back on topic, you have a good point that Xbox Live for WP can take social grouping to a new level for multiplayer games and that is something I would likely enjoy. Last night I tried playing Asphault 8: Airborne against my girlfriend's iPhone and although both games are identical, they didn't recognize each other which I thought was pretty silly. So at the very least, having a tight integration within WP + Xbox wouldn't be a bad idea for a game like that--though I'd much prefer a setup where Android/iPhone/WP users could all compete in MP games.

I think the growth of WP really depends on how much marketing + subsidizing Microsoft is willing to put in. When I go to stores like Best Buy, I see huge Samsung kiosks and salesmen pitching the latest Galaxy line of phones to customers and they are doing an exceedingly good job of it because the Samsung booth is always full. Microsoft also has a flashy Windows section but its only dedicated to laptops and desktops, Windows Phone (+ sales reps) are nowhere to be found which is a colossal mistake. So while the rest of us may want to see WP succeed and grow, MS isn't helping.

Last edited:

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

This should also be posted in the Windows Phone Games Section

phstratton

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Coip, I also posted this in Windows Phone Games section, I feel it works very well there, hope you don't mind...

Btw, can you add @popcap to the list? I'd love to see PVZ2 with Xbox Live features on WP8.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)