Is Xbox one worth it?

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Lately I've been considering buying a new console. I've been a PlayStation person most of the time but considering giving the Xbox a shot. So my question is, anyone that has both an Xbox and a ps4 which one do you like more and why?

GrandGerminator

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I would definitively prefer the Xbox One over the PS4, because of Games (Forza, Halo, Gears of War). Anyway, I don't think these console woth the price right now. Except Forza 5 and Horizon, there are no epic games for Xbox One since Halo MCC is broken all the way. I don't know more about the PS4, but I never been a PS guy

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a totally subjective argument. There's pros and cons to each console and each has different strengths.

Read up on what the xbox can and can't do, watch videos, play with demos in game shops.

This is your choice based on your own preferences. What anyone says in this thread is based on their own experience and priorities.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a totally subjective argument. There's pros and cons to each console and each has different strengths.

Read up on what the xbox can and can't do, watch videos, play with demos in game shops.

This is your choice based on your own preferences. What anyone says in this thread is based on their own experience and priorities.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Halo MCC isnt broken all the way, only the multiplayer. While Im generally an online gamer, Halo to me is first and foremost an epic single player experience. And there are ALOT of really great games on Xbox one, it just depends what kinda games one like.

PS4 to me wouldnt be worth the price to me, but Xbox One I don't regret buying (at full price during launch) at all.

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't know. You guys are saying its subjective but really. Both of them seem to be the same at this point, so its really hard to make a decision.

Tom87

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Not just games but if you're a media person the Xbox One may tip the scales for you. I have an Xbox One and the vast majority of the time I use it to use Plex which runs flawlessly. When I game I only have Halo TMCC and Titanfall so far and both are great games.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Tom87, are you using it as a Plex SERVER, or is it just consuming Content from some other Plex server in your house? I have an old PS3 that is great at consuming content from my Plex server. But I eventually would like to replace my old Plex server with something newer and better. I don't think xbox1 can function as a Plex server, but I would love to be wrong.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am not a massive game player (Although I do play the odd bit of Forza and GTA5) but forgetting the games I would say the Xbox One is worth it (Nicer if it was ?50 less, but then you could say that about most things) just as a home entertainment hub, I really appreciate this side of the system, for me it means one simple remote control for TV, receiver and cable box, for TV, also in my case Netflix and catch up TV from the BBC and other UK channels, music, pictures, ordering pizza and other stuff and then the games side is a bonus.

For once my very non technical wife is able to understand the entertainment system (Although using Smartglass is still beyond her), so much so I went and bought her one for Xmas.

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am not a massive game player (Although I do play the odd bit of Forza and GTA5) but forgetting the games I would say the Xbox One is worth it (Nicer if it was ?50 less, but then you could say that about most things) just as a home entertainment hub, I really appreciate this side of the system, for me it means one simple remote control for TV, receiver and cable box, for TV, also in my case Netflix and catch up TV from the BBC and other UK channels, music, pictures, ordering pizza and other stuff and then the games side is a bonus.

For once my very non technical wife is able to understand the entertainment system (Although using Smartglass is still beyond her), so much so I went and bought her one for Xmas.

Appreciate your input on this. Kind of swayed me a little towards Xbox. Will fully think this through over the next few days. Thank you all for your input!

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Personally I started off with the original Xbox, then ps2 and ps3 and Xbox 360....... But I think I will go for the Xbox as it will be able to interact with my 1520....

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
For me, I like fast switching between tv, games and the other apps I use. The voice control is really cool too. I prefer the one over the p4

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
TV streaming is one of the best things the Xbox can do. Here's a video of it in action real time (note that this is before I replaced our router with a vastly superior one);

https://m.facebook.com/video_redire...3d&oe=548ADDE6&refid=52&ref=bookmark&__tn__=F

Means me or the mrs can play and watch tv at the same time, or I can stream tv to the kitchen etc...

The games line up is more suited to me on XB1 too, as it was on 360 (I had a ps3, bought 2 games over its entire life and haven't turned it on in the last 4 years).

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
TV streaming is one of the best things the Xbox can do. Here's a video of it in action real time (note that this is before I replaced our router with a vastly superior one);

https://m.facebook.com/video_redire...3d&oe=548ADDE6&refid=52&ref=bookmark&__tn__=F

Means me or the mrs can play and watch tv at the same time, or I can stream tv to the kitchen etc...

The games line up is more suited to me on XB1 too, as it was on 360 (I had a ps3, bought 2 games over its entire life and haven't turned it on in the last 4 years).

That TV streaming looks really nice! But not really dealmaker for me because I don't watch tv at all. :) All of my streaming is done from Netflix or Amazon prime.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Neither can currently be streamed to smartglass but I'm hopeful it will come.

Kinect controlling everything when I say Xbox on is a great feature. Turns on the tv and surround sound 😉

One of my favorite features is snap. If you have had a large party it is nice to snap the party app so you can see who is talking when. Also snapped achievements or IE has its uses.

Snap TV or YouTube can be useful as well but less so.

A HUGE feature that should be stoked up more is the instant start of games if you have your Xbox on standby. I can jump straight back to the last game I played, to the very point I stopped playing provided it isn't Destiny (kicks you off for inactivity). A god send with dragon age... Last I heard Sony promised this and as of yet haven't delivered 😉

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte