WP7 impression after 4 years with iPhone

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I must say it's very impressive.
I got my iPhone the day it came out 4 years ago and did not even bother to switch to Android. But when WP7 was announced I wanted to jump ship but was reluctant.

The announcement of 4S (instead of 5) and Siri exclusivity, really made the switch. I thought it was not a clever move by Apple - at least from my point of view.. but that's another story.

All, I have to say.. I'm glad I made that switch.
I told the ATT guy to let me turned the screen on for the first time (after reading how impressive the AMOLED screen is, I have to try it myself). And I'm floored. The live-tiles are so vibrant and impressively looking. The animation is slick. There are so many subtleties that you can't help yourself but appreciate Microsoft for taking the risk to not making another iPhone clone.

The interface is very intuitive. The action menu will always be within your reach and will always be at the same spot and you don't need to figure out where the thing is. The back button is the best since sliced bread. I first thought the back button was a silly idea but I'm so glad to be proven wrong.

I'm still using my iPhone just to communicate with my wife using Facetime (who's currently travelling to Asia). I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I can't help my self but to feel a bit ancient everytime I use my iPhone. (On a side note I hope they quickly bring in Skype to the Marketplace because Tango is subpar compared to Facetime - both the video and audio quality).

Anyway, I was born and grew up in Asia where Mango is probably the sweetest. Unfortunately I don't like Mango at all. But I will make a special exception for this particular Mango. I love it. I really do.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Facetime is the equivalent trojan in some circles as the blu ray was to the PS3. I think it demonstrates the power of integration over a 3rd party App.

If I now cast myself to the Windows Phone then I know I use social networks a ton more now that I have it baked in.

Sometimes you just have to take the leap especially when you have the apple as a cosy pair of slippers. Welcome aboard no looking back now ;)

SJamG

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This thread has really made my day! I've been set on switching for a while now, but only 95% sure I would. Thanks to your post, I am 100% sure this is what I want to switch to - thank you!

I have also been an iPhone user for 4 years and took the leap to Android last year and hated it! Just hope this switch won't go the same way!

I have started a migration piece on my blog. Check it out if your interested:

Http://SJamG.tumblr.com

Thank you very much!

blurredvision

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I was a 3-year iPhone user and just made the jump to a Focus S 3 days ago. There are really only 2 things I can think of that I miss from my iPhone 4; the high-res retina display and having access to an app store that is the lead for pretty much any developer out there.

Everything else about WP7 has been great. I was pleasantly surprised at the Facebook and Twitter integration. I honestly didn't think it could be done right but this is pretty damn close. Every time I've wanted to filter a certain way or view certain data, the option has been there to do that.

Other things I liked is the main tile screen, it's really well done and runs without a hitch. I really like how options in apps are presented with just icons and the extra info is hidden under a toggable option. I love the XBOX Live integration, Zune integration....it's all here.

I'm really hoping WP7 will take off with Nokia in the fray.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Even if you take Nokia out of the equation you do seem to get a sense of movment for the Windows Phone. It will be interesting to see how sales numbers stack up and how the carriers support is 6 monhts from now, They are a fickle bunch for sure.

Hopefully the additional bow wave of Nokia gen 1 and the mega tsunami of gen 2 will finally see the Windows Phone get the attention it deserves.

Also I finally feel the app store moving round a corner now with Spotify and Tango released in the last couple of days... Happy Days...

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
@SJamG: Anytime :)

@Blurredvision:
I don't think I miss the retina display at all to be honest. I think the screen looks more gorgeous on Focus S. Infact I think the typeface is sharper on Focus in my opinion.

@Welsbloke:
I agree. The timing of these 2 apps couldnt get any better.

blurredvision

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
@Blurredvision:
I don't think I miss the retina display at all to be honest. I think the screen looks more gorgeous on Focus S. Infact I think the typeface is sharper on Focus in my opinion.

The only times I find myself missing it is when viewing pictures and browsing the web (picture detail and small text highlights the lower ppi). Everywhere else has looked fantastic. If I could have the black levels and color saturation of the Focus S combined with the ppi of the iPhone 4/4s, I'd be a very happy man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium