So I've made a few posts on here about my apprehension to purchase a Lumia 710 because...well it's just not that good of a phone. This despite the fact that I'm an Android user who was ready to jump on board the WP7 train, because I think it will gain a lot of steam this year and go more mainstream.

However, as a T-Mobile user, there was nothing else current besides the Radar and Lumia. I didn't want to carry around a white phone, so Radar was out. And I couldn't buy the 710 knowing an 800 and 900 were already on the way....So using a $100 Best Buy gift card I purchased an HTC Amaze that happened to be on sale.

With tax, the total for the phone under a new two year contract was $105.

I've been going back and forth today over the decision. Should I have gone with the cheaper phone (Lumia) w/ the operating system I preferred? Or am I crazy to even compare the two?
    01-16-2012 06:32 PM
    So I've made a few posts on here about my apprehension to purchase a Lumia 710 because...well it's just not that good of a phone. This despite the fact that I'm an Android user who was ready to jump on board the WP7 train, because I think it will gain a lot of steam this year and go more mainstream.

However, as a T-Mobile user, there was nothing else current besides the Radar and Lumia. I didn't want to carry around a white phone, so Radar was out. And I couldn't buy the 710 knowing an 800 and 900 were already on the way....So using a $100 Best Buy gift card I purchased an HTC Amaze that happened to be on sale.

With tax, the total for the phone under a new two year contract was $105.

I've been going back and forth today over the decision. Should I have gone with the cheaper phone (Lumia) w/ the operating system I preferred? Or am I crazy to even compare the two?
    The Amaze 4G is a helluva phone. Goood camera (and good camera SW to support the HW), good screen. Are you crazy to compare the two...? No. Not at all. Of course, Android phones don't have much time at the top before they are topped, either (the average being about 2-4 months before another device from the same manuf. tops it!).
    01-16-2012 06:42 PM
    The Amaze 4G is a helluva phone. Goood camera (and good camera SW to support the HW), good screen. Are you crazy to compare the two...? No. Not at all. Of course, Android phones don't have much time at the top before they are topped, either (the average being about 2-4 months before another device from the same manuf. tops it!).
    That's not really true for T-Mobile phones. The only time that's really happened that way was with the Vibrant. HTC won't be bringing another ridiculous Android phone to T-Mobile for a bit.

No, the phones are not comparable, but even if T-Mobile had the Lumia 900 they'd still not be comparable becuase the Amaze poops all over the WP7 hardware specs/requirements and the camera is definitely Amazing (an Amazing accomplishment for an HTC phone, mind you).

That being said, it has terrible battery life. I see absolutely no reason to buy an HSPA+ 42 Mbps phone - PERSONALLY. The way they achieve that theoretical speed is just asking for battery issues...
    01-17-2012 03:05 PM
    I say the same thing whenever anyone asks a question like this. Buy the software experience. The hardware only matters in as much as it affects the software experience IMHO. Would you rather view and use WP7 on a 3.7" screen, or Android on a 4.3" screen? Don't think about dual cores, or SAMOLED, or any of the other specs. Think about how much you would like to use the phone you buy. Then buy it.
    02-15-2012 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD