why i will buy a nexus4 instead of 920

bigpython

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
cause 920 does not support vpn. thats the only problem, everything else is good
especially the camera of 920, i really cannot give it up. but without vpn can be a big problem for me.
so thats the only thing i feel disappointing about 920

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
especially the camera of 920, i really cannot give it up. but without vpn can be a big problem for me.

Do we know this for a fact? I know 7.x didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised now with native code access to a Win NT shared code kernel that VPN clients couldn't be written for 8.x now. I'm not a dev, so I don't know for sure of course.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
VPN support can be addes via an app - AFAIK, the network stack does support it, so it just needs a decent app porting over

VPN's are vital in the 2010's - A VPN is the only way I can access the switches at work which is why I still have my old trusty N900, The VPN access is established and then I have full SSH access to every network device and as it is a N900, I have a full keyboard as well.
I can't tell you how grateful I am for that as well as all the times it has enabled me to fix issues without having to head into work...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Cool story, bro. Next time post in the right forum.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow. VPN. I mean, sure, some stuff needs it. Still, can't you get a proper laptop for that stuff?

I could, but the whole point is that I can support the network while out and about without having to carry a laptop around with me. To be fair, the N900 was a unique phone as it was Linux based so it was actually very powerful

Don't dis VPN's, they are becoming more popular, not less as more and more governments try to control what we can access, more people are running their own VPN to get around it.
Alot of companies also insist on VPN's for external access for staff

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I could, but the whole point is that I can support the network while out and about without having to carry a laptop around with me. To be fair, the N900 was a unique phone as it was Linux based so it was actually very powerful

Don't dis VPN's, they are becoming more popular, not less as more and more governments try to control what we can access, more people are running their own VPN to get around it.
Alot of companies also insist on VPN's for external access for staff

Not dissing it. I use VPNs for work too, but I rather have more screen estate and a keyboard to do work on. I mean, sure, it is a good thing to have, extra features wouldn't hurt and it is your needs that matter in you buying a phone. Still, I have to say that as a make or break feature, VPN is pretty far out there.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
VPN support can be addes via an app - AFAIK, the network stack does support it, so it just needs a decent app porting over.

Are you sure that is all that is required? Making a VPN connection with an app is just half of the problem. The other half is making sure it stays connected when you switch apps.. If WP8 doesn't allow a VPN connection to stay connected in the background then the app is pretty useless. I would also think that if they DID support VPN out of the box it would have been something they would have talked about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo