The Great 920 versus 8X challenge

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I will juggle them in the air... first to fall will be socialcarpet's mandatory device... FOREVER. Palindri can donate a Treo 700, and VacantWade can lend me his Lumia 900 as well. :D

I will be honest. I can't wait for your comparison. It's always a good thing to have more data points. No matter how bias they can be.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I will juggle them in the air... first to fall will be socialcarpet's mandatory device... FOREVER. Palindri can donate a Treo 700, and VacantWade can lend me his Lumia 900 as well. :D

I'm OK with that as long as you don't let the 8X hit the floor. I don't want the soft touch coating to peel off. The Lumia I'm not worried about, but you should be worried about your floor. :p

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is unfair to HTC, since I have the Lumia 920 first, but I wanted to share some initial observations based on several hours of use.

1: The matte casing (in black on mine) is definitely grippier than the glossy casing. This is a heavy phone, and I'd be frightened of dropping it on the pavement without the matte. Even with the matte, I find I'm handling it gingerly because of my fear of losing my grip... but that could be just me. In black, the phone doesn't "look" as heavy as it is, which is nice. With the naked eye, the proportions are fine, and it has a curved back that fits comfortably in my hand (I'm a 6'2" muscly dude, so take that with a grain of salt if you have smaller hands).

2: The screen. OH MY GOD THE SCREEN. This is not only the best screen I've seen on a mobile device so far, it's the best screen I have seen on any electronics product, period. I think Nokia needs to stop touting a billion different features of the phone and focus on the screen. It really is that good. Even WP7 titles like Plants v Zombies (which scales up nicely by the way) look better on this display than any I've ever used before. You turn on this phone, and fall into that screen. Photos pop, web pages zing, text is crisp and sharp (like reading text on a printed page from a high-resolution digital printer). There are no pixels, no gaps between pixels -- it's hard to put into words how good this screen is.

3: I have played a little bit with the camera. It's a good camera. I have taken a couple of photos in low and moderate light conditions, and it's done a better job than my S3.

4: Someone asked about what happens when you put a T-Mobile USA SIM into this device. It comes back with an error message saying you have put a non-approved SIM in, and asks for an unlock code. Unless AT&T will give you an unlock code, you won't be using this on T-Mo anytime soon.

5: Windows Phone 8 is FRICKIN' AWESOME. The OS is super-snappy, and it has been very cleverly updated by Microsoft. It's truly a triumph of design because the changes made are often subtle but VERY valuable... like the new emoticon keyboard. There's nothing jarring or "disruptive" to the experience ala iOS 6 maps or Android's "UI of the week." Everything flows really well -- even better than in 7.5. It's even smoother and more intuitive. If you've been holding out on a Mango or Tango device, you will get a world of good out of 8.

6: I will be trying Vcards per another request later this weekend when I have more time to play with the phone.

Early, premature assessment: a bit chunky, but with an absolutely gorgeous screen that blows away anything else I have ever seen. And WP8 is awesome.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the thread, it looks like it's going to be quite useful for people who are broken between the two devices. I've come up with a list of differences between the two devices, could you comment on how significant each of the items in the list are and possibly add to the list.

Nokia Lumia 920:
Super sensitive screen for glove typing
Pure Motion HD+ screen
Less glare and reflection on screen (is that true?)
Deeper blacks (is that true?)
Oleophobic layer on screen (how effective is it?)
2000 mAh battery (how do the battery lives compare?)
Gyroscope
Dolby audio support (is it just a gimmick?)
Nokia apps (how significant of an advantage do they have?)

HTC Windows Phone 8X:
Beats audio (how much better is the audio?)
342ppi screen (how much better does it look?)
Reportedly more comfortable design (is it really?)

Which phone's camera is faster to start up and take the first shot and then consecutive shots?

Which phone is more comfortable to type with one hand?

I'd really really appreciate it if you could address these questions. Thanks once again. Cheers.:D

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am having so much fun just scraping information together on these new WP 8's, I am PUMPED you are in a position to do this, buddy. I have no doubt you will give the phones their due. I am popping popcorn, and tuning in daily to get updates. It is like a real good football game between two power houses...

THANKS BIG DAWG!!!

jollydogg

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hold on..... I feel an announcement coming. I think he's about to spread news of the first recorded birth between a cellular device and man. Congratulations to him and the 920.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster