HTC 8X vs. Nokia Lumia 820

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I've only handled the 8X a bit. So I can't really speak on its merits. I do have an 820. To say this phone is cheap feeling is absurd. The thing feels like a a freaking many tank, like its made from some good stuff. My only grip was that it was a bit slippery and I had to be extra careful when handling it. I have a case with grip on it, so that is no longer an issue. The screen is gorgeous. My original criteria was nothing smaller than a 4.5 screen. Somehow, this phones screen gives off the illusion of being bigger than it says. The expandable memory is a plus.

And I say all this not as a Nokia ****** (my original target was the ATIV S), but as someone who was absolutely impressed with this phone.

MDominik13

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree the 8X does feel a bit awkward and the 820 feels solid. My co-workers are obsessed with small and hate the 820 but it feels just right to me (currently using an HD7 with a case that makes it about the same size). And I couldn't tell that the 8X was the only one that was HD (granted I didn't do much with the two to see much difference in video). Still the only factor that could sway me away is the photo quality. Any complaints you have with your 820?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I Still the only factor that could sway me away is the photo quality. Any complaints you have with your 820?

Not even remotely. Having come from an iPhone 4, I am blown away by the quality of the pics from my 820. That said, I'm not a photographer. Here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=285765CD9C795E0!260&authkey=!AL_7k7fp_Vrq7xs - I just got a new car the other day. The first three pics were taken on my 820 with all the settings set for "automatic". It was about 2:00 PM when I took those pics, and it's a bit overcast, weather-wise.

The fourth pic - the one with me in it being all cheesy - was taken by my GF's iPhone 4 by way of comparison.

Enjoy!

Chirag Shah1

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have heard that there are issues with lumia 820 hangs a lot and also the touch isnt very responsive after just a week's use? Has anyone facing the same problem? Kindly help

Chirag Shah1

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Have you expereinced any issues with lumia 820 regarding it freezing constantly or touch being not too responsive after few weeks of use?
Thanks

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'd go with the 820 for a number of reasons. The Nokia exclusive apps and Nokia's commitment to Windows Phone are two big ones. The only thing you really miss out on is the higher resolution of the 8X. I'm just not a fan of HTC's stuff in general though.

As for the "freezing constantly" or not being responsive, I haven't heard that. That is not a normal thing though, what you read is someone who had a problem with their specific phone. If you look for problems you will find them with ANY phone. Google "HTC 8X problems" or "Lumia 820 problems" or "iPhone 5 problems" or any phone + "problems" and you will find the same kind of thing. Don't let it dissuade you from buying an 820.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the 820 and its great - love the expandable storage to hold my music. However, if someone had a mint 8X and offered it to me straight up in a trade, I'd do it. The 8X is just so much sexier. Its also much lighter - the 820 is surprisingly heavy for a phone as small as it is.

One benefit of the 820 though is the replaceable covers - if you damage your cover or want a new color, change it out. And they aren't very expensive.

Looks wise I'd go 8X - if Nokia's software is important to you (its meh to me) and you need expandable storage, go for the 820.

Oazis

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lumia 820 and really like it. The Drive application speaks for itself, if you travel a lot, it's a big advantage that you can download the maps for free and navigate offline. And genereally the phone is fast, easy to handle and looks great :)

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got the 820, sold it, got the blue 8X and am as happy as I can be. (though I admit I'd be happier if I had the red one!)

Jignesh Nagda

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
can i know what is the difference in both of these phone, i m from india i wanna buy good phone, i lumia 820 better than htc 8x
i m confused, rates r same, but confused in the slcd2 vs amoled , please help me ,
u all guys and gals from different part of world can u help me, read all ur comments, is anyone to give good suggesion

Jignesh Nagda

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
can i know what is the difference in both of these phone, i m from india i wanna buy good phone, i lumia 820 better than htc 8x
i m confused, rates r same, but confused in the slcd2 vs amoled , please help me ,
u all guys and gals from different part of world can u help me, read all ur comments, is anyone to give good suggesion

is 810 worth but not launched in india, can i get liumia 810 from outside what will it cost me here in indian rate

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
No one said something good about 8X, that's so weird I mean c'mon..What I can say about 8X is that:
-you have better audio, both speakers and headphones, the built-in amplifier does the job very well.
-the camera on HTC 8X takes good pictures
-it is very soft at touch, feels amazingly good in hand, there is no plastic! which is great.
-the battery lasts at least 24hours with e-mail account, fb twitter and other things with connectivity on
-at the apps side the only exclusive apps worth to mention is the well known weather from HTC and some photo filters app.

Now what I know to be the down side of Lumia 820 is that from my experience and I know for sure that Amoled screens have the burn-in effect. What does this mean is that if you have an icon placed in the same spot for a very long time (more than 6 months), there will be a shadow under that icon. For ex when you have a white screen or another app opened with white background or grey you will see for example the shadow of battery icon or 3G signals or WiFi even though you shouldn't.

Mike3of3

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I went for the 820 over the 8x mainly because it was more affordable and the Nokia apps are a big bonus. I like the looks of the phone and it feels reassuringly weighty rather than bulky. If you throw in the changeable covers and access to battery and memory then it was an easy decision. Ive had it a month and no issues with it so far.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
lumia 822 is in india or no, what is the rate of lumia 822, i think it is better than 820

I'm not sure its a good idea to bring a US specific phone like the 810 (T-Mobile) or 822 (Verizon) to india , The different Radios might be inconvenient ! I have a friend brought a T-Mobile SideKick to Holland\Netherlands & Her phone made & received calls just fine , but NO Internet other than Wi-Fi ! No 2G, No 3G , No Edge .... etc because it had a different Radios !

I guess it might be safer to buy an India-Specific Lumia 820 phone, You know it will work & If God forbid something happened to the phone , you can service it on the warranty !

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the 822 on Verizon, but after two troublesome devices Verizon let me swap to an 8X. The 822 is a great phone and I'm sure the 810 is also, but to me unless you really need the SD card storage the 8X is the way to go. The 822 has a bright and vivid screen, but after using the 8X I can tell a difference in the crispness of the display. The camera in the 8X is also better than the 822. I was able to take good pics with the 822, but it took more work to get them than with the 8X. I found some of the Nokia exclusive apps fairly useful, namely Nokia music and Creative Studio, but I am not really missing them in the 8X. Either way you go you will have a nice phone that you will enjoy to a while, so you can't go wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss