11-23-2012 09:13 PM
92 1234
tools
    TuneIn exists, doesn't it? Maybe it needs updates to work well with Windows Phone 8
    its not in the wp8 marketplace
    11-21-2012 02:38 PM
    Wait wait wait... Hold the phone here (no pun intended)

So, you bought a product, stay with me here, and you didn't like it. I mean there was something you wanted out of it and didn't get it. Still with me? Alright so, this product you got didn't perform as expected. Keeping up with the story so far? And you decided to return it for a different product that fits your needs. Which is pretty logical.

This is post-worthy... how????

Come on people this isn't twitter! Nobody cares about your daily logical activities.
    11-21-2012 03:20 PM
    I think that is a big problem with WP. You have 3 different kinds of people: 1) WP does everything they need and are happy with it. 2) WP does not do everything they need, but are willing to wait for updates. 3) WP does not do everything they need, so they're switching to iOS/Android.

WPCentral has some of the worst fanboys I've ever seen, but you can point them out relatively quickly. They don't make up the majority of people here, but I agree they can be annoying.

Legitimate issues need to be addressed, insulting people for their needs and how WP is not fulfilling them is hurting this community.
    People who join this forum and have 3 posts which are all about their complaints and how they are returning their Windows Phone after 2 days are what hurts the community. We don't need people who aren't looking for answers and instead come here just to vomit bile all over our forum.

If people want help, that's different. Posting once just to tell us you hate the phone and you're going to return it is absolutely pointless. This kind of crap is why many forums have a waiting period for noobs before they are allowed to post in the general forums.
    11-21-2012 04:43 PM
    I think we should have a stickied thread with a list of all the troll fanboys with a message in bold, "Do not feed the trolls!"
    thekonger and Nataku4ca like this.
    11-21-2012 05:10 PM
    Doh, social. I liked your post but then realized I wouldn't be allowed to post under those conditions. How about the ability for senior members to vote down newbie posts. Enough votes and the user is locked down. Of course you would need a forum framework that supports that...

Well, regardless, I like the concept. I have been troll bashing all day.
    socialcarpet and CoopII like this.
    11-21-2012 05:22 PM
    The Android troll mojo is strong in this thread!

(And even if I was a "fanboy" and not a user experienced across ALL major platforms who chose the best platform for myself, I have a friggin' right to to let my Metro Flag fly here at WINDOWS PHONE Central. How lame and stupid does someone have to be to create fake accounts to troll another product's forum? Talk about "fanboy." And no, I am not going to post a self-righteous, teary-eyed post on Android Central about how I "ditched my GS 3 due to hundreds of freezes, crashes, lags and lock-ups and going to a Lumia 920, Android is really crap," even though it's 100% true and accurate.) :D
    First off, I wasn't trolling. I actually do own a L920 and despite some shortcomings of the Windows marketplace, I still enjoy the user experience thus far on WP8. However, what I don't like is reading blind fanboy posts from people like yourself. Sure there is no problem in supporting a product you love, but when you spit out misinformed and uneducated opinions about other products it degrades the quality of the posts I have to read. Think of it this way: if these forums were filled with people like you, it would likely be one of the most ignorant and uneducated "cult-like" boards out there. There is nothing wrong with having a good opinion of other competitor's products and being fully informed.

(This post is mainly due to the fact that you are ignorant enough to believe that there is no such thing as an Android user that doesn't experience lag, reboot, and crash issues)
    Last edited by ninnnnnja; 11-21-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: formatting
    11-21-2012 06:04 PM
    (This post is mainly due to the fact that you are ignorant enough to believe that there is no such thing as an Android user that doesn't experience lag, reboot, and crash issues)
    I never said that I don't believe there is NO user who has never had any of Android's well-documented and serious stability, lag, freeze, reboot, battery life and malware issues... I was simply pointing out that it's unlikely that someone who knows 12+ people using top Android devices would credibly report that not a single one of them has EVER had any of those issues.

Anybody who is actually familiar with Android (and HONEST) will note that users have a whole host of stability and compatibility problems across Android devices. That's why "Gingerbread/ICS/Jelly Bean will fix that" is one of the most repeated phrases for Android, along with "install this custom ROM."

when you spit out misinformed and uneducated opinions
    if these forums were filled with people like you, it would likely be one of the most ignorant and uneducated "cult-like" boards out there
    blind fanboy posts from people like yourself

Stop talking dirty. You bad, bad boy! :D

I actually have owned several Android devices, and my opinion of them grows from the user experience. I daresay my familiarity with Android is probably greater than yours.

And I'll never insult you once, let alone four times in a single post, because my confidence in my opinion grows out of experience, not Android fanboyism. When the facts are on one's side, ad hominems are unnecessary. ;)

the posts I have to read

You don't "have" to read any posts here. AndroidCentral is right over there ------->
    11-21-2012 07:40 PM
    First off, I wasn't trolling.

500 Imaginary points if somebody can tell me the first sign of guilt! ...Anybody? (Here is a hint, it's DENIAL, which isn't just a river in Egypt ya know.)
    lordofthereef likes this.
    11-21-2012 08:16 PM
    buy the right android device and tiu get fixes too. My point? Blanket statements are silly.
    You shouldn't have to buy a "right" phone to get updates, just sayin :P
    11-21-2012 08:23 PM
    You don't "have" to read any posts here. AndroidCentral is right over there ------->[/COLOR]
    You are right, I should probably sift through garbage better, but I like to be thorough as I'm new to WP8 and want to learn as much as possible. I like how you assume I'm an android fanboy right away just because I called you out on having extremely ignorant/bias opinions after the android comment. For the record, I am equally for iOS/Android/WP8 and would switch between any of them if the hardware appealed to me enough and I'm probably the last person that will be sitting around here blindly defending a god damn phone OS (its really not that big a deal). The only thing (and I'm repeating again) that I'm against is ignorant opinions and blind fanboyism.

500 Imaginary points if somebody can tell me the first sign of guilt! ...Anybody? (Here is a hint, it's DENIAL, which isn't just a river in Egypt ya know.)
    Intelligence is strong in this one.
    11-21-2012 08:28 PM
    Grab some developers in WPCentral. Tell them how you envision your Streaming Apps. Hire them, monetize your Apps. Use it as you wish, earn some money from it. Keep in mind that there is no streaming App that suit your need in the market right now. Mean there are thousand or more of same people with the same need! Profit!
    11-21-2012 08:34 PM
    In regards to the "TellMe" issue...I have an SGS3, in addition to my new 920. Samsung's version of SIRI is complete and utter crap. Totally unusable to the point where I am wondering whose idea it was to include it on the phone. For the record, even SIRI sucks. Neither me nor my wife EVER used it for anything other than the weather. So I wouldn't think lack of a digital assistant is really much of a deal breaker.
    11-21-2012 08:45 PM
    Intelligence is strong in this one.
    Smartest thing you have posted.
    11-21-2012 09:22 PM
    To be fair to Android, Jelly Bean really did improve the UI performance in terms of reducing the epidemic stutter and lag issues. That said, WP is still FAR more fluid and responsive and can do it on lower end hardware too. Even on Jelly Bean, Android needs pretty massive hardware to run with any speed and smoothness.
    11-21-2012 10:13 PM
    You shouldn't have to buy a "right" phone to get updates, just sayin :P
    It's the way Android was built. I agree, it's a bit of an achille's heel. But if updates REALLY matter to the user, the user can pretty easily do their due dilligence and pick a phone that is going to get this support. Google has caught on quite well. Look at what they are doing with their Nexus line. They are catering directly to those that complain about updates, fragmentation, etc.
    11-21-2012 10:18 PM
    They screwed up the stream/podcasts thing for sure. how could they even miss that? I think instagram is overrated, if you want photo filters there's photogram.
    What happened with podcasts/streaming?
    11-22-2012 12:29 AM
    To be fair to Android, Jelly Bean really did improve the UI performance in terms of reducing the epidemic stutter and lag issues. That said, WP is still FAR more fluid and responsive and can do it on lower end hardware too. Even on Jelly Bean, Android needs pretty massive hardware to run with any speed and smoothness.
    That is because of a fundamental flaw in Android which will never be remedied. When they first started working on Android, it was intended to be a non-touch OS, and their prototypes were Blackberry-like ripoff keyboard phones.

Later on when Eric Schmidt got a look at the iPhone in development, since he had privileged access as a member of Apple's board of directors, he realized the Blackberry ripoff was going to look pretty dated. So Google decided they needed something more like an iPhone ripoff instead and went in that direction.

Well the foundation of the OS was already built and they were on their way. As a result of it not being originally intended to be a touch OS, touch input was NOT prioritized by the OS. Basically the touch input from the user is handled on the main thread with normal priority. So your touch request to scroll the screen or open an app has the same importance to Android as animating your tacky undulating ocean background and your 50 widgets. So that means it won't seem as responsive as OS's like Windows Phone or iOS which were designed to prioritize touch input from the beginning.

This is something that will never, ever change unless they rewrite Android from scratch and break all the apps in the process. So what do they do? Keep heaping on ghz and cores to try and overcome it, while adding more stupid bells and whistles which have the opposite effect. Android is fundamentally flawed in many ways, but this is one of the core reasons it is inefficient and an embarrassment to the open source/Linux community.

CLIFFS NOTES:

When you touch your Android phone, it says "Oh, I'm being touched, OK.. hang on, let me refresh these waves moving on your background and make the sun sparkle on your tacky weather widget, then I'll see about making the UI respond to your touch, m'kay?

When you touch a Windows Phone or an iPhone it says "Oh, I'm being touched. My user wants something, the most IMPORTANT thing for me to do right now is respond to that, everything else must get in line behind my users immediate needs."
    11-22-2012 09:19 AM
    Look at what they are doing with their Nexus line. They are catering directly to those that complain about updates, fragmentation, etc.
    Even the "Nexus" is fragmented. If you have a Nexus 1, you no longer get updates. If you have a Nexus S, it is slow, stutters and freezes with the latest update. If you have a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint or Verizon, you're not running the latest update (and if the carrier decides to not let you have it, you never will). If you buy the Nexus 4, you get a phone with an obsolete radio and slow data speeds.

I understand the appeal of Android from a propellerhead perspective. I also understand its serious usability flaws from an end user perspective. Android is that "all you can eat" buffet for $7 where you gorge on food but never talk about the taste.
    11-22-2012 10:43 AM
    People who join this forum and have 3 posts which are all about their complaints and how they are returning their Windows Phone after 2 days are what hurts the community. We don't need people who aren't looking for answers and instead come here just to vomit bile all over our forum.
    Not fair. I'm sure that if I want to the Android forum to complain that my Nexus One will not receive any updates and that my Nexus S crashes all the time after the 4.0 update, and so I am buying a vastly superior Windows Phone and departing FOREVER, they'd acknowledge my wisdom. No doubt they'd also be quite open to being called fanboys when I point out all of the ways that Windows Phone is better, and they happen to disagree.

We are just uniquely evil here in the WPCentral forums, since we refuse to acknowledge our clear inferiority. This is something we have to work on... millions of Android users depend on us! :D
    11-22-2012 10:54 AM
    That is because of a fundamental flaw in Android which will never be remedied. When they first started working on Android, it was intended to be a non-touch OS, and their prototypes were Blackberry-like ripoff keyboard phones.

Later on when Eric Schmidt got a look at the iPhone in development, since he had privileged access as a member of Apple's board of directors, he realized the Blackberry ripoff was going to look pretty dated. So Google decided they needed something more like an iPhone ripoff instead and went in that direction.

Well the foundation of the OS was already built and they were on their way. As a result of it not being originally intended to be a touch OS, touch input was NOT prioritized by the OS. Basically the touch input from the user is handled on the main thread with normal priority. So your touch request to scroll the screen or open an app has the same importance to Android as animating your tacky undulating ocean background and your 50 widgets. So that means it won't seem as responsive as OS's like Windows Phone or iOS which were designed to prioritize touch input from the beginning.

This is something that will never, ever change unless they rewrite Android from scratch and break all the apps in the process. So what do they do? Keep heaping on ghz and cores to try and overcome it, while adding more stupid bells and whistles which have the opposite effect. Android is fundamentally flawed in many ways, but this is one of the core reasons it is inefficient and an embarrassment to the open source/Linux community.

CLIFFS NOTES:

When you touch your Android phone, it says "Oh, I'm being touched, OK.. hang on, let me refresh these waves moving on your background and make the sun sparkle on your tacky weather widget, then I'll see about making the UI respond to your touch, m'kay?

When you touch a Windows Phone or an iPhone it says "Oh, I'm being touched. My user wants something, the most IMPORTANT thing for me to do right now is respond to that, everything else must get in line behind my users immediate needs."
    As an Android XDA-Developer I have to say, your understanding of the OS inner-workings is utter ****.
    robstunner likes this.
    11-22-2012 11:16 AM
    He's explaining the user experience quite accurately. Just pick up any Galaxy S III with "Live Wallpaper" and touch the screen. Suddenly the paused animations start running faster, and whatever you're trying to do takes FOREVER. That's part of the "lag" which Phandroids keep insisting doesn't exist.

Eventually, unless you reboot your S III a couple of times a day, the animations will just lock right up and crash your phone too. That's part of the "freezes" that Phandroids also insist never happen.
    11-22-2012 11:19 AM
    Got an 8X from Verizon a week ago so far no reboot issues. Turning off NFC helped a lot with the battery life. I was really missing Pandora until I found MetroRadio a 3rd party Pandora app which I like better then my wife's android Pandora app. I don't like the metro W8 sync program so I'm just sticking to WMP. On the whole I'm really liking it and don't regret going WP8. I hope the people having problems can get fixes for what they need but it seems like it's spotty so maybe it related to a carrier or an app. It seems like the last Iphone launch went awry too.
    11-22-2012 11:37 AM
    He's explaining the user experience quite accurately. Just pick up any Galaxy S III with "Live Wallpaper" and touch the screen. Suddenly the paused animations start running faster, and whatever you're trying to do takes FOREVER. That's part of the "lag" which Phandroids keep insisting doesn't exist.

Eventually, unless you reboot your S III a couple of times a day, the animations will just lock right up and crash your phone too. That's part of the "freezes" that Phandroids also insist never happen.
    But as most serious Android users would tell you: turn off the damn live wallpapers! They're a gimmick, a battery drainer and slow the OS down anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    11-22-2012 11:52 AM
    But as most serious Android users would tell you: turn off the damn live wallpapers! They're a gimmick, a battery drainer and slow the OS down anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    As most wp7 users would tell you. That's supposed to be the beauty of WP. In 7, they dont really affect battery life. Mist be wp8 issue
    11-22-2012 12:03 PM
    As an Android XDA-Developer I have to say, your understanding of the OS inner-workings is utter ****.
    Well a former Google intern says otherwise.

Here is why Android is laggy and why it?s going to remain like that in the near future

At least he did before Dianne Hackborn came along to mince words, but even her backsliding explanation doesn't deny the flaws in Android so much as it gives a more complex and nuanced set of excuses for them.

Either way, the fact is that Android is very capable. More capable than Windows Phone, I won't deny that. But 90% of the users out there don't give a **** whether or not their phone can function as a web server, they just want the UI to be consistently responsive without requiring a quad core processor and 2 GB of RAM.

The point is Android misses the forest for the trees. Forever focused on building in functionality that 90% of users don't care about while neglecting good design, reliability, consistency, quality and ease of use. Jelly Bean or whatever the latest stupidly named version is, is an improvement but Android always and forever will compromise the quality of the end user experience in it's pursuit to try and be all things to all people. Runs like crap on anything without top of the line hardware, an ugly mess of inconsistent UI themes in apps that lack any kind of serious quality control.

At best, it's a propeller heads dream come true, but when it comes to the average user, it is rife with compromise.
    11-22-2012 12:23 PM
92 1234