WP going back to the store....going to Android

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Going back to the store. Buying some food for Thanksgiving.

Going back to the store. Going to get Starbucks.

Going back to the store. Just thought I'd walk around.

Just thought I'd announce my movements to everyone. That's what the theme of this three was, right?

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Highly unlikely.

Oh this is very likely. I work for a Cellular Company (will not mention names) and believe me the amount of SIII I have dealt with with issues and cannot even count. Oh and don't get me started on the iphone 5 on its release date. They had poor stock availability and we had 4/10 return rate on the iphone5s. Mainly the main speakers would just die and issues with them not powering on not to mention the iphone5 feels cheap to me. If people are adamant on getting in iphone I steer them towards a 4S instead.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
that's largely irrelevant. The point was a Droid had issues. And windows phone 8 seems.to have the same/similar issues.

Indeed it is, the wpc app has been buggy a bit (though seems to be the switch to the new unified accounts, and forum style). Typed a longer post, and poof. Oh well too long now to make original point.

Though I agree with the issues. WP is a better experience, but if your need one thing our phone doesn't have you are going to be disappointed. We have many holes but they seem to be filling faster.

Though tune in and iheartradio work great.

Can audio from a website play during the lockscreen?

bryan_05

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Got my new WP 3 days ago, was excited - until - I tried to stream a few of my favorite radio stations, none of which are playable on WP. (All of which work fine on my wife's Android).

Too bad because I really like the phone, but if I can't get it access things I want, it's useless to me. Phone's going back to store.

I agree this is a major issue. Streaming podcasts and .m3u files are a big deal and it's really irritating WP8 doesn't allow it. Surely a developer wants to make a quick buck and is going to release an app to do this - VLC, Winows Media Player, TuneIn, etc.?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The Android troll mojo is strong in this thread!

(And even if I was a "******" and not a user experienced across ALL major platforms who chose the best platform for myself, I have a friggin' right to to let my Metro Flag fly here at WINDOWS PHONE Central. How lame and stupid does someone have to be to create fake accounts to troll another product's forum? Talk about "******." And no, I am not going to post a self-righteous, teary-eyed post on Android Central about how I "ditched my GS 3 due to hundreds of freezes, crashes, lags and lock-ups and going to a Lumia 920, Android is really crap," even though it's 100% true and accurate.) :D

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried Tune In. Station looks like it connects, but no sound. (Yes, the volume was up).

Also tried downloading TuneIn app, got: !This app is not available for your device.

I'm using a Nokia 810 on TMo.

would everybody please quit bytching! You guys asked him what problems he has had and no one is helping him. I don't use streaming music so I can't offer any help. Take your ****** comments to another thread and offer this person some advice that may keep him a WP user.

Isolated1

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that is a big problem with WP. You have 3 different kinds of people: 1) WP does everything they need and are happy with it. 2) WP does not do everything they need, but are willing to wait for updates. 3) WP does not do everything they need, so they're switching to iOS/Android.WPCentral has some of the worst fanboys I've ever seen, but you can point them out relatively quickly. They don't make up the majority of people here, but I agree they can be annoying.Legitimate issues need to be addressed, insulting people for their needs and how WP is not fulfilling them is hurting this community.

That's a great point and I agree. Right now I am person number 3.

I'm actually happy to see many people willing to stay in Nokia's corner. At this moment though, the blame cannot be on them in my opinion. The main reason I am deciding to go to Android (still have a month till my contract expires) is due to the WP8 operating system. It just isn't mature and stable enough. It is also lacking in features I use/need/want when compared to the Android.Granted, there are a lot of things I like about WP8. I actually love their apps. At this point in time, the app "eco system" needs a major overhaul rather than just companies being able to play the numbers game and say "I have more apps than the other therefore I am better". I'm the kind of guy that goes on Hulu and watch weird movies that I've never heard of before in my life. With WP8, I was actually excited to try the many new and never before heard of apps as well.

Many users have posted things that are lacking or features that are missing in WP8 and some of them shock me a bit. Can some of them be added in future updates? Absolutely. But at this point, I need definite answers. At the very least, I need someone from Nokia and Microsoft to actually acknowledge them as whether they are actual problems or the usual "that's now how you do it". It's also funny too how users bash Apple and Steve Jobs for the infamous "you're holding it wrong" quote. Basically, they are teasing users that Apple is smarter than them and therefore, they must be right.

With some hardcore WP8 fanboys, they are doing the exact same thing.
You don't need back and forward buttons in IE10! They are so yesterday! Use your recent history tabs!
You don't need VPN! Who actually uses VPN anyways?!
You don't need notification center! You're using WP8 wrong if you want one! Everything is in the tiles!
You don't need separate volume controls! Things are much more simpler if it is combined into one!

I personally don't want to wait for who knows how long before WP8 SP1 comes out and that's why while I'm still interested in the platform, will nonetheless have to use another OS.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand are people who point out logical UI are being branded as "fanboys."

If you need an old-fashioned Android or iOS UI with notification centers, nested menus, front and back buttons, and all that other 25-year-old legacy cruft from Atari ST days, using Windows Phone makes ZERO sense. You should just buy an iOS or Android device. And many of us are adamant about NOT bringing in all those horrible legacy things you just described because we DON'T want them ruining the platform's UI.

I had a nightmare about opening up IE on my 920 last night and getting the Chrome for Android UI, complete with six buttons across the top and lots and lots of nested menus. Then a notification window shade flew down, filled with spam and irrelevant notifications, forcing me to sort through dozens of irrelevant stuff to find actual relevant stuff. *shudder*

If the Android/iOS way of doing things works better for you, then by all means, you should go, just like many people in the 1980s dumped GUI systems for MS DOS. There's no shame in liking the "old fashioned" way of doing things... just let me use the modern platform and not have to see all the legacy crap I just escaped tacked back on in a misguided effort to appeal to the moribund mainstream OSes.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Wait wait wait... Hold the phone here (no pun intended)

So, you bought a product, stay with me here, and you didn't like it. I mean there was something you wanted out of it and didn't get it. Still with me? Alright so, this product you got didn't perform as expected. Keeping up with the story so far? And you decided to return it for a different product that fits your needs. Which is pretty logical.

This is post-worthy... how????

Come on people this isn't twitter! Nobody cares about your daily logical activities.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think that is a big problem with WP. You have 3 different kinds of people: 1) WP does everything they need and are happy with it. 2) WP does not do everything they need, but are willing to wait for updates. 3) WP does not do everything they need, so they're switching to iOS/Android.

WPCentral has some of the worst fanboys I've ever seen, but you can point them out relatively quickly. They don't make up the majority of people here, but I agree they can be annoying.

Legitimate issues need to be addressed, insulting people for their needs and how WP is not fulfilling them is hurting this community.

People who join this forum and have 3 posts which are all about their complaints and how they are returning their Windows Phone after 2 days are what hurts the community. We don't need people who aren't looking for answers and instead come here just to vomit bile all over our forum.

If people want help, that's different. Posting once just to tell us you hate the phone and you're going to return it is absolutely pointless. This kind of crap is why many forums have a waiting period for noobs before they are allowed to post in the general forums.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I think we should have a stickied thread with a list of all the troll fanboys with a message in bold, "Do not feed the trolls!"

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Doh, social. I liked your post but then realized I wouldn't be allowed to post under those conditions. How about the ability for senior members to vote down newbie posts. Enough votes and the user is locked down. Of course you would need a forum framework that supports that...

Well, regardless, I like the concept. I have been troll bashing all day.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Android troll mojo is strong in this thread!

(And even if I was a "******" and not a user experienced across ALL major platforms who chose the best platform for myself, I have a friggin' right to to let my Metro Flag fly here at WINDOWS PHONE Central. How lame and stupid does someone have to be to create fake accounts to troll another product's forum? Talk about "******." And no, I am not going to post a self-righteous, teary-eyed post on Android Central about how I "ditched my GS 3 due to hundreds of freezes, crashes, lags and lock-ups and going to a Lumia 920, Android is really crap," even though it's 100% true and accurate.) :D

First off, I wasn't trolling. I actually do own a L920 and despite some shortcomings of the Windows marketplace, I still enjoy the user experience thus far on WP8. However, what I don't like is reading blind ****** posts from people like yourself. Sure there is no problem in supporting a product you love, but when you spit out misinformed and uneducated opinions about other products it degrades the quality of the posts I have to read. Think of it this way: if these forums were filled with people like you, it would likely be one of the most ignorant and uneducated "cult-like" boards out there. There is nothing wrong with having a good opinion of other competitor's products and being fully informed.

(This post is mainly due to the fact that you are ignorant enough to believe that there is no such thing as an Android user that doesn't experience lag, reboot, and crash issues)

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
(This post is mainly due to the fact that you are ignorant enough to believe that there is no such thing as an Android user that doesn't experience lag, reboot, and crash issues)

I never said that I don't believe there is NO user who has never had any of Android's well-documented and serious stability, lag, freeze, reboot, battery life and malware issues... I was simply pointing out that it's unlikely that someone who knows 12+ people using top Android devices would credibly report that not a single one of them has EVER had any of those issues.

Anybody who is actually familiar with Android (and HONEST) will note that users have a whole host of stability and compatibility problems across Android devices. That's why "Gingerbread/ICS/Jelly Bean will fix that" is one of the most repeated phrases for Android, along with "install this custom ROM."

when you spit out misinformed and uneducated opinions
if these forums were filled with people like you, it would likely be one of the most ignorant and uneducated "cult-like" boards out there
blind ****** posts from people like yourself

Stop talking dirty. You bad, bad boy! :D

I actually have owned several Android devices, and my opinion of them grows from the user experience. I daresay my familiarity with Android is probably greater than yours.

And I'll never insult you once, let alone four times in a single post, because my confidence in my opinion grows out of experience, not Android fanboyism. When the facts are on one's side, ad hominems are unnecessary. ;)

the posts I have to read

You don't "have" to read any posts here. AndroidCentral is right over there ------->

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You don't "have" to read any posts here. AndroidCentral is right over there ------->[/COLOR]

You are right, I should probably sift through garbage better, but I like to be thorough as I'm new to WP8 and want to learn as much as possible. I like how you assume I'm an android ****** right away just because I called you out on having extremely ignorant/bias opinions after the android comment. For the record, I am equally for iOS/Android/WP8 and would switch between any of them if the hardware appealed to me enough and I'm probably the last person that will be sitting around here blindly defending a god damn phone OS (its really not that big a deal). The only thing (and I'm repeating again) that I'm against is ignorant opinions and blind fanboyism.

500 Imaginary points if somebody can tell me the first sign of guilt! ...Anybody? (Here is a hint, it's DENIAL, which isn't just a river in Egypt ya know.)

Intelligence is strong in this one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)