HTC 8X v. Iphone

Stephanie Parks

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am an iPhone person and have been for quite a while. I recently bought a new laptop that has windows 8 and I love it. It took some getting used to, but like I said I'm definitely starting to love it. Given that, I am thinking about making the switch to a windows 8 phone. Could anyone out there who owns one give me any pros and cons or maybe send me a link to a comparison. I've been doing some digging, but haven't really found much of anything. Is the camera just as good? Does it have a forward and rear facing camera? Does it have a flash? Are the messages in a chat format like the iphone? Are there a lot of issues with it being that the software is new? Thanks so much!!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there's front and rear cameras, and a flash. Yes, the messages are in conversation layout. There's plenty of reviews about, but if you like windows 8, then WP8 will feel very natural.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Here is a really good review of the 8x not exactly compared to other phones but it has some good points. The camera is good but I'm not sure that it is definitely better than the ipohne5 but it at least holds it's own against it, and it has a rear facing LED flash. It also has probably the best front facing camera on a smartphone to date. The messages are in chat form just like on an iphone of and android(picture below). I've had this phone for 10 days now (on Verizon) and I haven't had a single problems that has been reported there are always a few bugs with new products but overall i would say that WP8 is very stable for a new OS. Some other thought on the hardware, I handed my 8x to my Dad (an iphone5 user) the other day, and he was impressed by how nice the phone felt and how light it was for it's size.

Here are a few cons:
Only one, (low storage) option (16GB) w/out expandable memory.
The Colored 8Xs seem to be having a problem with getting dirty on the edges, I don't know for sure i have black.
The power button is on the top and really flush, but i really haven't had any problem with that.

I'm really not good at cons because I am totally enamored with this phone right now... so Pros:
The best feeling phone I've ever held it just sits in you hand perfectly.
The Super LCD 2 screen is amazing one of the best on the market, i believe that it beats the iphone5 in every category as far as specs go.
If you get the Verizon version it comes with built in wireless charging and it's the greatest gimmick add on ever i love it.
and many many more.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121126_0001.png
    wp_ss_20121126_0001.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 8

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had an iPhone since 2007. I switched recently because the iPhone 5 didn't really excite me and frankly, I was bored with iOS. That being said, the truth is, iOS and iPhone hardware are still better in my humble opinion. The quality of iOS is way better than WP8. If anyone tells you differently, they are lying or ignorant. The iPhone is built like tank. I had a case-less, screencover-less iphone for 2.5 years before finally dropping it a month ago and shattering the screen. I had dropped it many times before that and never worried about anything in my pocket or anything else, really. I never felt like the phone would break easy, and I was right. It still works, touch screen and all, battery is still good, too.

So, if you are willing to put up with buggy software, possible reboots, etc...At the end of the day, I'm really having fun and liking WP8. You have to ask yourself if you can live without certain apps or find alternatives. WP8 does feel refreshing and new. The camera is pretty awesome. Also, the updates and bug fixes will come...in time.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So,it's been a while since phone has been out. Would you still choose HTC 8x over the iPhone? I am debating the same question.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If you can live without Instagram, WP8 kills Android and iOS. Plus, if you have an Xbox you'll be even more impressed. Also Office is built in.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I won't be one of those fanatic nokia fanboys and just suggest you look at some of the choices. Do you want a flagship WP8 device or are you just the humble type and would do fine with a mid-tier device?

Of course, switching to WP8 from iOS means that you will be missing some apps, or to be accurate, a LOT of apps.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Already looked at the other choices. I just like the feel of HTC better than Nokia phones.
I guess if I really want the apps, I can load them on to my ipod. I don't use many apps on my phone and the ones I want are in the Windows Store.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the 8X is much better than the iPhone IMO. At times I take a lot of pictures with my camera and people send me the stuff they take/record to post on our page and the difference is pretty noticeable.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Or if you can live without MLB At Bat 2013. Or Flipboard. Or Mint. Or Spotify. Or Pandora. Or most banking apps. Or..... about 600,000 other apps.
Spotify and Pandora not on windows phone? Jesus, what the **** app is playing music while I type this??? :/

Edit: all banking apps for Scandinavia are present and we don't care about baseball much the same as 99% of the world.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the 8X is much better than the iPhone IMO. At times I take a lot of pictures with my camera and people send me the stuff they take/record to post on our page and the difference is pretty noticeable.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Thanks for that info. I was a little worried about the camera. I have kids and want to be able to catch those "moments" when I don't have a camera on me.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.
As for apps, I don't bank with apps. I don't usually listen to music on my phone much either. I know of Spotify and Pandora, but don't have them on my current phone or ipod. I might like to load a few songs on my phone for listening, but I mainly use my ipod touch for that.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.
As for apps, I don't bank with apps. I don't usually listen to music on my phone much either. I know of Spotify and Pandora, but don't have them on my current phone or ipod. I might like to load a few songs on my phone for listening, but I mainly use my ipod touch for that.

If you have a decent pair of headphones, I highly suggest (if you're getting the 8X) you try to put songs of high audio quality on it and prepare to be amazed. Way better than any iPod i've listened to. I'm loving my 8X for it's music. I chose the phone for this very reason (and for WP8). Amazed at how good it is! You won't be disappointed my friend ;)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Or if you can live without MLB At Bat 2013. Or Flipboard. Or Mint. Or Spotify. Or Pandora. Or most banking apps. Or..... about 600,000 other apps.

Um, there is Spotify? MetroRadio is a great Pandora app, and MS already confirmed that WP is getting a Pandora app without ads. Most banking apps are there. And yes 600,000 fart apps.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

- Never Used MLB @ Bat (Not a Sports Fan)
- We Have Live Tiles and News Apps, not as fancy but adequate.
- We Have Spotify and I cancelled my XBL Music Subscription because it works GREAT and looks AMAZING. Needs a little more functionality.
- MetroRadio LOOKS AMAZING and pulls from Pandora + Unlimited Skips!
- I heard PageOnce is good alternative for Mint & Banking Apps. I used WebApps to pin my Bank to start screen too. Works amazing for quick "App Looking" Access to mobile page.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
- Never Used MLB @ Bat (Not a Sports Fan)
- We Have Live Tiles and News Apps, not as fancy but adequate.
- We Have Spotify and I cancelled my XBL Music Subscription because it works GREAT and looks AMAZING. Needs a little more functionality.
- MetroRadio LOOKS AMAZING and pulls from Pandora + Unlimited Skips!
- I heard PageOnce is good alternative for Mint & Banking Apps. I used WebApps to pin my Bank to start screen too. Works amazing for quick "App Looking" Access to mobile page.

The point I was trying to make is that a lot of popular apps are missing. Yes, I realize that Spotify is now available, but it wasn't until recently. Most banking apps in the US aren't available as far as I know. Using 2nd or 3rd party apps usually isn't as good of an experience as 1st party. A good example is Microsoft's YouTube app. Pandora has been promised for awhile but it's not here yet. A WP user needs to make sacrifices, use workarounds, or simply do without. If it's worth it to you for the otherwise great experience, go for it!

The OP was asking for pros and cons. Coming from iPhone the app shortage will be noticed. I'm not trying to slam WP; I use a Lumia 920 myself.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The point I was trying to make is that a lot of popular apps are missing. Yes, I realize that Spotify is now available, but it wasn't until recently. Most banking apps in the US aren't available as far as I know. Using 2nd or 3rd party apps usually isn't as good of an experience as 1st party. A good example is Microsoft's YouTube app. Pandora has been promised for awhile but it's not here yet. A WP user needs to make sacrifices, use workarounds, or simply do without. If it's worth it to you for the otherwise great experience, go for it!

The OP was asking for pros and cons. Coming from iPhone the app shortage will be noticed. I'm not trying to slam WP; I use a Lumia 920 myself.
Im not saying your slamming windows phone. Im just saying some alternatives are better than an official app (MetroTube, MetroRadio, Live Tiles for news > Flipboard.)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Im not saying your slamming windows phone. Im just saying some alternatives are better than an official app (MetroTube, MetroRadio, Live Tiles for news > Flipboard.)

OK, peace!

You are absolutely correct in saying that there are some good alternative apps, but probably the reason they're better is because a lot of the official apps on WP are rather poor quality. I doubt whether the alternative apps on WP are better than the official apps on iPhone & Android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium