12-09-2012 08:00 PM
45 12
tools
    WhatsApp has been temporarily pulled from the store until the WP8 version is released in about a month.

And OP, it's time to Think Different. Get the 8X. ;)
    12-08-2012 01:37 PM
    The best way really is to try it. Get it and live with it for 14 days. That is how you will truly judge it. If it is the $35 fee that is stopping you, I will seriously pay it for you. I am that confident you will like it as an overall package. Just PM me here if you end up returning it.
    12-08-2012 01:52 PM
    If you were on AT&T, I would suggest the 920. But since you are on Verizon, get the 8X. The 822 is not as good, because it doesn't have as good as a screen. But it has more exclusive apps.
    12-08-2012 01:57 PM
    WhatsApp has been temporarily pulled from the store until the WP8 version is released in about a month.

And OP, it's time to Think Different. Get the 8X. ;)
    How do you know its going to be released in about a month? The email that's been circulating says there's no timeline I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    12-08-2012 03:13 PM
    I was told by their support "about a month."

It's tempting me to switch over to Kik, which is available now (and doesn't pull stunts like taking the client offline for months at a time).
    12-08-2012 03:38 PM
    I was told by their support "about a month."

It's tempting me to switch over to Kik, which is available now (and doesn't pull stunts like taking the client offline for months at a time).
    And how long ago was that?

12-08-2012 03:47 PM
    If you're concerned about the restocking fee you can get the phone from Best Buy if there's one nearby. No restocking fee on returns or exchanges and they carry the iPhone as well.
    12-08-2012 05:06 PM
    And how long ago was that?

Ha! Good point! About a week ago.
    12-08-2012 05:51 PM
    Ha! Good point! About a week ago.
    So about 3 weeks from now. Maybe they'll release it for the new year.

12-08-2012 06:04 PM
    Did you really just ask in a WP forum if you should get an iPhone? :D
    12-08-2012 06:55 PM
    Try to take this decision a bit rationally. I know people will make terrific sounding statements that make the iPhone look like crap in front of windows phone but try to take this decision a bit cool headedly. I suggest you look at what you are going to do most with your device and what you will actually use the device for?

When I asked myself that I said I need a very solid instant messaging system that will work with people who are on other platforms. Unfortunately as one of my recent topics discusses, there is NO solid, reliable instant messaging system on wp8.

The iPhone on the other hand has iMessage (which given iOS and Mac's popularity, a lot of people use) and also whatsapp.

Sure windows phone looks flashy, stable and fresh but the real question is will it serve you or bog you down. Fortunately I stopped myself before I could jump ship and switch to windows phone. I'm going to wait until at least whatsapp comes out if it does and I may possibly consider blackberry 10 especially since here in Canada and elsewhere in the world it is still somewhat popular and bb10 has features (like BBM Voice) and solid multitasking that will actually make my life easier.

I have WhatsApp on my WP7.5, sure hope it is available on WP8.
    12-08-2012 07:04 PM
    If you were on AT&T, I would suggest the 920. But since you are on Verizon, get the 8X. The 822 is not as good, because it doesn't have as good as a screen. But it has more exclusive apps.
    Funny, I'd say the 822 is better. Removable and larger battery, super sensitive touch screen, expandable storage, Nokia exclusive apps. The screen resolution is negligible to me. It's only 4.3 inches, so I don't need HD resolution, I think the 822's screen looks better, and the battery life is likely better.
    12-08-2012 07:11 PM
    I'd say try it for 13 days. If you decide WP isn't for you take back and get the IP5. I'd recommend giving L822 a look before making a WP decision though.
    12-08-2012 09:25 PM
    Do you use your phone as a music player? If so, right now WP8 + music sync'ing + adding songs etc is a bit of a mess... You can work around these, but I guess if you have a lot of music already in iTunes if could be a bit of a mission.
    12-08-2012 09:55 PM
    Just an FYI ... What's app is available on 7.5 and we had a comment from what's app team that the app will be 6 times faster on wp 8 when compared to wp 7.5 .. So it should arrive in a few weeks or a month
    12-08-2012 10:25 PM
    I'd say try it for 13 days. If you decide WP isn't for you take back and get the IP5. I'd recommend giving L822 a look before making a WP decision though.
    Ehh, I like the Lumia line, but the main reason why I want this one over the 822 is because of its form factor; it's incredibly easy to hold, and I like the style of it more.
    12-09-2012 10:28 AM
    Do you use your phone as a music player? If so, right now WP8 + music sync'ing + adding songs etc is a bit of a mess... You can work around these, but I guess if you have a lot of music already in iTunes if could be a bit of a mission.
    And yes, many times I do if I don't have my iTouch with me. I especially would with the 8X because of the Beats Audio... Is the music syncing that much of a hassle right now? Ugh I really don't wanna go with the iPhone but everything seems so much more simple! Plus I can get more internal storage with it....

Guess I still have some decision making to do lol.
    12-09-2012 10:30 AM
    I have an iPhone 5. I love it. It is an amazing phone. Having said that, if you do not have an iPad or Mac, I would highly recommend trying windows phone. Apple makes great products and has an ecosystem that in my opinion is unrivaled, but this comes at a cost. As you have found with your iTunes and app collection, once you get invested in an ecosystem it is VERY difficult and costly to leave it. If I didnt have an iPad and Macbook I would have gone for a Lumia 920 but I use iCloud way too much to use anything else and I love iOS so I am not upset about it being boring.

I would say you should try Windows Phone and see what you think after a couple weeks. Also, the rebooting and other bugs will surely be fixed soon. Microsoft and HTC are going to get things working properly for their users. I wouldnt worry too much about that long term.
    12-09-2012 12:49 PM
    What did you decide to do? iPhone or WP8?

12-09-2012 07:41 PM
    I've been agonizing over the same decision.

I had an upgrade from an iPhone 4 on AT&T.

I agonized over all the WP8 phones. The 8x was too low on storage. The 920 was too bulky. The ATIV S might have worked if it ever came stateside.

But eventually I went with an iPhone 5 (and my wife got a 920).

I'll say this about my iPhone: it just works, and it is fast. I'm tired of iOS, I really am, but it's the little things, like universal background audio, car audio connectivity, picture copy/paste, "undo" support, mobile browser site support, multiple synced email folders, the list goes on and on.

I love WP8 for what it does well, but it's still so young. My phone is a tool first and foremost, and while it makes me yawn every time I look at, the iPhone is, for me, a better tool. At least for now.

I also tell myself that if WP8 improves in the next 6 months and/or ATIV S comes stateside, I can always sell my iPhone.
    StevesBalls likes this.
    12-09-2012 08:00 PM
45 12