I have a Lumia no more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Rather than share what has been a horrid series of posts and threads on how much the Lumia 920 sucks, I wanted to share a different take on things and highlight some of the pieces of the Lumia 920 that I will miss.

First, where am I going?

I've mentioned before that I'm heavily invested in Google. I'm aware now more than ever as to who owns my information and what can be done with it however Google arguably handles this front the best. The best Gmail experience is to be had on an Android phone, and since I'm going to be married to Google applications for the long-term I'm not prepared to go through a nasty divorce. So yes, I have returned to an Android based device for the time being. Within 10 minutes I was already updating and whizzing through the OS.

Why did I leave? Just because of Google?

To be honest, Google is both the reason I left Android and the reason I came back. Google apps run my personal ecosystem. While those apps and services can be mimiced by competing Windows Phone applications the reality is there isn't enough consistency with them. There aren't enough big house developers on board with the platform yet. Music syncing is broken. My phone(s) have become a huge source of entertainment and functionality, so when I cannot perform basic tasks without employing half a dozen work arounds I do find it frustrating. The experience isn't nearly as drawn out on Android for my specific needs.

Haven't you said purchase a device for what it is, not what it will be?

Yes, and for what it's worth the Lumia 920 is still an excellent buy. I will miss the solid build quality and construction, although it's easy to see from reading the forums that not all Lumia 920's were created equally and there are units out in cicrulation that suffer from production issues. Those will be resolved over time so for anyone considering making the jump I still wouldn't hesitate if this was your only concern. Windows Phone is a smooth operating system and its 'at a glance' nature keeps you from being a slave to your device. Many people would benefit from this layout. Android, however, isn't purely a system of menu after menu to get to the one option you want. Like Windows desktop software there is more than one way to do something.

I didn't get another Android phone for customization. I find that many "skins" and overlays are indeed bloatware and take away from the Android experience. I do understand that their purpose is generally to make the phone more accessible to the user but this goal is not always accomplished and as a result devices do take a performance hit. Rooting a device solves this in most cases, though I feel the practice shouldn't be necessary to make a phone usable. I don't plan on rooting this particular device as it has the Jellybean update pending.

Was it the camera?

Not at all. I love the camera on the Lumia 920 and in the month I owned it I was able to capture nice photos and videos that otherwise wouldn't be possible on a phone. Nokia raised the bar and should be commended for their efforts. The issue with soft photos is very subjective. Whether you choose to side with the rationale that the photos should be just right from the start is up to you. With my Lumia 900 I found myself using the auto-fix option after nearly every shot. With the 920 I only used it if I felt colors were off and I used editing tools if I wanted to get creative.

What phone did you move to and why?

The model is irrelevant since utlmiately I'm going back to Android for the consistent experience with Google. I could talk about a better camera (it isn't), outstanding battery life (its about the same) and a stylish design (its plain) but that didn't make deciding on this any easier. I will say that I have removable storage again but I don't have a removable battery. Call quality is slightly better and that is still 70% of what I use my phone for.

There is a chance that as Windows Phone matures I will test the waters again but I probably won't go with any of the launch devices and hold out for something more refined. I don't consider myself a Google, Microsoft, Nokia or any other OS/device ******. I go with what works. For me. I'll still browse this forum because I think the Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware. I personally wasn't getting what I wanted out of it and had an opportunity to move from a month old device to a brand new in box device that had not been activated. You don't get those too often, especially for higher-end phones.

Enjoy the Lumia 920 everyone. In the end it just wasn't right for me and I'm not afraid to admit that.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Rather than share what has been a horrid series of posts and threads on how much the Lumia 920 sucks, I wanted to share a different take on things and highlight some of the pieces of the Lumia 920 that I will miss.

First, where am I going?

I've mentioned before that I'm heavily invested in Google. I'm aware now more than ever as to who owns my information and what can be done with it however Google arguably handles this front the best. The best Gmail experience is to be had on an Android phone, and since I'm going to be married to Google applications for the long-term I'm not prepared to go through a nasty divorce. So yes, I have returned to an Android based device for the time being. Within 10 minutes I was already updating and whizzing through the OS.

Why did I leave? Just because of Google?

To be honest, Google is both the reason I left Android and the reason I came back. Google apps run my personal ecosystem. While those apps and services can be mimiced by competing Windows Phone applications the reality is there isn't enough consistency with them. There aren't enough big house developers on board with the platform yet. Music syncing is broken. My phone(s) have become a huge source of entertainment and functionality, so when I cannot perform basic tasks without employing half a dozen work arounds I do find it frustrating. The experience isn't nearly as drawn out on Android for my specific needs.

Haven't you said purchase a device for what it is, not what it will be?

Yes, and for what it's worth the Lumia 920 is still an excellent buy. I will miss the solid build quality and construction, although it's easy to see from reading the forums that not all Lumia 920's were created equally and there are units out in cicrulation that suffer from production issues. Those will be resolved over time so for anyone considering making the jump I still wouldn't hesitate if this was your only concern. Windows Phone is a smooth operating system and its 'at a glance' nature keeps you from being a slave to your device. Many people would benefit from this layout. Android, however, isn't purely a system of menu after menu to get to the one option you want. Like Windows desktop software there is more than one way to do something.

I didn't get another Android phone for customization. I find that many "skins" and overlays are indeed bloatware and take away from the Android experience. I do understand that their purpose is generally to make the phone more accessible to the user but this goal is not always accomplished and as a result devices do take a performance hit. Rooting a device solves this in most cases, though I feel the practice shouldn't be necessary to make a phone usable. I don't plan on rooting this particular device as it has the Jellybean update pending.

Was it the camera?

Not at all. I love the camera on the Lumia 920 and in the month I owned it I was able to capture nice photos and videos that otherwise wouldn't be possible on a phone. Nokia raised the bar and should be commended for their efforts. The issue with soft photos is very subjective. Whether you choose to side with the rationale that the photos should be just right from the start is up to you. With my Lumia 900 I found myself using the auto-fix option after nearly every shot. With the 920 I only used it if I felt colors were off and I used editing tools if I wanted to get creative.

What phone did you move to and why?

The model is irrelevant since utlmiately I'm going back to Android for the consistent experience with Google. I could talk about a better camera (it isn't), outstanding battery life (its about the same) and a stylish design (its plain) but that didn't make deciding on this any easier. I will say that I have removable storage again but I don't have a removable battery. Call quality is slightly better and that is still 70% of what I use my phone for.

There is a chance that as Windows Phone matures I will test the waters again but I probably won't go with any of the launch devices and hold out for something more refined. I don't consider myself a Google, Microsoft, Nokia or any other OS/device ******. I go with what works. For me. I'll still browse this forum because I think the Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware. I personally wasn't getting what I wanted out of it and had an opportunity to move from a month old device to a brand new in box device that had not been activated. You don't get those too often, especially for higher-end phones.

Enjoy the Lumia 920 everyone. In the end it just wasn't right for me and I'm not afraid to admit that.

Ok.

Dicky_Snapples

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had dropped connection issues and music player problems with my Nokia Lumia 920 so I sent it back for a full refund.

My plan was to go back to Android, however I actually miss my 920 and regret sending back as I'm sure future Nokia/Microsoft software upgrades would have sorted my problems out in time.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So you felt the need to use the quote feature and mark down "OK"? That's awesome.

So you felt the need to let us all know, in a Nokia Lumia 920 forum, that you no longer own a Nokia Lumia 920?

Brb, need to let all the iphone forums know I don't have my iphone anymore.

Zarfus

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
So you felt the need to use the quote feature and mark down "OK"? That's awesome.

What exactly are you missing regarding google experience? My gmail pushes as it comes...my contacts, calendars, etc are all synced. I came from android, and if anything, this is more organized. I'm just curious.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So you felt the need to let us all know, in a Nokia Lumia 920 forum, that you no longer own a Nokia Lumia 920?

Brb, need to let all the iphone forums know I don't have my iphone anymore.

Well, if I have to explain the reason for my thread to you I will.

In short, I was leaving and saying why. If the topic of the thread and the content that followed wasn't interesting to you other than to lob a few remarks about how non-essential this, why bother?

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, if I have to explain the reason for my thread to you I will.

In short, I was leaving and saying why. If the topic of the thread and the content that followed wasn't interesting to you other than to lob a few remarks about how non-essential this, why bother?

I think his point, and my point as well, is that you really leave no topic open for discussion. This is a forum, people are here to discuss. Your post is more informative, which is fine but really you can't expect anyone to contribute anything to this topic since you have already made up your mind. Had you come here looking for answers, it might have been different.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What exactly are you missing regarding google experience? My gmail pushes as it comes...my contacts, calendars, etc are all synced. I came from android, and if anything, this is more organized. I'm just curious.

• Gmail didn't sync correctly all the time.
  • Not all files were supported.
  • I couldn't few all the calendars I was subscribed to. (even after using m.google.com/sync)
  • Syncing with "All Mail" gave my inbox fits. I realize this is Google's non-standard approach that causes the issue but I can't migrate from Google right now.
  • I have more luck with Google Navigation than Nokia Drive. I paid for Navigon and removed Nokia Drive+ Beta and Nokia Maps and downloaded the shortcut for Bing Maps from the Windows Phone store.
  • My content is already with Google, and Google isn't committed to supporting the Windows Phone platform. Right now that will require me to go through a nasty divorce with Google. It's cheaper to keep her - might not have applied to marriage as my father always felt it did but when it comes to phones it just might.

This is all fairly subjective I'm sure and maybe people are OK with the alternatives and workarounds. I wasn't. I also wasn't trying to bash Nokia because they put together a great phone.

I think his point, and my point as well, is that you really leave no topic open for discussion. This is a forum, people are here to discuss. Your post is more informative, which is fine but really you can't expect anyone to contribute anything to this topic since you have already made up your mind. Had you come here looking for answers, it might have been different.

Zarfus managed to engage in conversation. It isn't impossible.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The OP thinks that they are important and Nokia/WP is suffering a loss or this post is more of a justification to themselves that their actions are the "right" ones. Whatever the case, let the OP waste time writing this post and the one in the android forums detailing his "horrible" experience to the other android users. No one cares. Let this self important person fade into nothingness. We have our 920s\8xs and he has his android. Everyone's happy
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
  • Gmail didn't sync correctly all the time.
  • Not all files were supported.
  • I couldn't few all the calendars I was subscribed to. (even after using m.google.com/sync)
  • Syncing with "All Mail" gave my inbox fits. I realize this is Google's non-standard approach that causes the issue but I can't migrate from Google right now.
  • I have more luck with Google Navigation than Nokia Drive. I paid for Navigon and removed Nokia Drive+ Beta and Nokia Maps and downloaded the shortcut for Bing Maps from the Windows Phone store.
  • My content is already with Google, and Google isn't committed to supporting the Windows Phone platform. Right now that will require me to go through a nasty divorce with Google. It's cheaper to keep her - might not have applied to marriage as my father always felt it did but when it comes to phones it just might.

This is all fairly subjective I'm sure and maybe people are OK with the alternatives and workarounds. I wasn't. I also wasn't trying to bash Nokia because they put together a great phone.

Zarfus managed to engage in conversation. It isn't impossible.

I'm sorry but I do not see the point in discussing what you missed from Google IF you have already made up your mind and gone back to Android. It's not like if we come up with solutions to your problems now that you will switch back to WP8, right?

Zarfus

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I left iPhone (outdated / boring) and Android (messy / cheesy / laggy) and never looked back.

To each his own.

I agree...I read this forum and see all the issues people have with their lumia's. Not me. I'm astounded how much of an upgrade I got from android for how little I paid.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The OP thinks that they are important and Nokia/WP is suffering a loss or this post is more of a justification to themselves that their actions are the "right" ones. Whatever the case, let the OP waste time writing this post and the one in the android forums detailing his "horrible" experience to the other android users. No one cares. Let this self important person fade into nothingness. We have our 920s\8xs and he has his android. Everyone's happy
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Self-important person? "Horrible" experience?

/scans thread

I see none of this. I do see you insulting me, though. So there's that.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would you think I wanted you to come up with solutions to the issues I was facing?

Why would you think anyone would want to read your reason for leaving then, if you didn't want solutions to your answers?
I replied with "ok" because I didn't know what your post was going to contain, so I read the entire thing and found that when I got to the end, you just simply wanted to let us know why you are leaving.

Would you of rather me wish you good luck, with an added "we'll miss you"?

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Every time someone posts something like this in a forum supporting the device he/she is giving up, it's like a pack of wolves lunging for a kill.

Look, guys, chill out. I see what he's trying to do. He's actually a bit torn over his decision. I read it as "If Windows Phone 8 had more Google support/services, I'd stay" and that's a valid observation. Of course, Microsoft would be silly to support Google servies better than their own, but I'm a Google guy too and I see the limitations imposed on me due to my choice to use a Lumia 920 as my daily driver.

I have both the Lumia 920 and Note II and I'm torn between them on a daily basis. My Lumia is still my daily driver because I love the interface, wireless charging, and Social Network integration. I see the benefits of each platform and what drives each individual to switch is as varied as any other impulse we have.

If you're happy with your Lumia, it's easy to see one of these threads and go for the jugular. But he wasn't bashing the platform. He was merely venting what was probably a frustrating decision for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6