Amusing Nokia Prediction(Android Bias)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
One of my favorite android enthusiasts sites out there, Phandroid
has posted a list of predictions regarding android.

Here is the link for all curious minds
12 Android Predictions for 2013

However, what amused me was the Nokia prediction....

Nokia came out the gate swinging this year with a handful of sexy, well designed handsets. There’s only one problem: they’re playing for the wrong team. As much as Nokia’s CEO pretends Windows Phone is the superior mobile OS (he’s either getting paid to say that, or he’s delusional) dismal sales in 2013 will force the once great handset OEM to make some changes, one of those being Android. Say what you will about Elope, he makes some beautiful devices — ones that would look even better with Android running on them.

I just found that amusing and wanted to share as i shake my head reading it :p

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's a wet dream of quite many to have a Nokia that runs Android. As for the rest of it, time will show. I'd hate to see Nokia go that way and it might make mean my next phone wouldn't be Nokia anymore cos I don't want to use Android. Elop has said it himself that if WP just doesnt work, they will look for other options and they're options would be quite slim, most likely some MeeGo derivate or Android.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Typical marketing. Says things enough times and people will believe it. That is why the top 2 keep downplaying WP. People will go into a store and the rep may tell them about windows phones, but the customer will hear, "The phone with none of my favorite apps, and the phone that is lagging behind in features and hardware." No matter how untrue it is.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
"The phone with none of my favorite apps, and the phone that is lagging behind in features and hardware." No matter how untrue it is.
That would be an accurate statement as far as I'm concerned. My Lumia is missing quite a few of my favorite apps, and there are some common features that are nowhere to be found as well.

Edit: I should add that the 3 or 4 times that I went into the VZW store to look at the Lumia before ordering, the sales weasels did nothing to try to dissuade me from the Lumia. Two were very knowledgeable about WP, and one offered to get someone who knew more than she did about it.

Hardware wise, no gripes at all. In fact, a Lumia running Android would be intriguing when it's time to move on from my Nexus.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia made Lumia an Android phone in the first place, they might get better result in the first 1 or two months because of people familiarity with Android, but soon, people will realize that there are better Android around, and left Nokia with their new Galaxy S-series or HTC One-series

Nokia's maps offering easily beaten by the Google Maps, makes it lose one more selling point. Nokia's colorful shells can't match the Android's nature where there are no color accents to choose from. I think, cyan 800 with cyan accent color is the best match from visual point. Yellow 920 with yellow accent color is unbeatable match, except if Nokia made AMOLED 920 :D .

Nokia's new vision of minimalist design with colorful shells easily fits the squarish, yet modern look of Windows Phone, compared to typical boring Android UI, unless Nokia could make great Android launcher, which they are not excels at.

To see the good match for their respective OS, I think HTC is the best example. See their One-series Android phone? Now look at their 8-series! There are some design that fits Android, and there are some design that fits Windows Phone. From my perspective, I think the 800 (which is basically a modified N9), is a great match with Windows Phone.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Said it many a time, Android is pointless for Nokia. You can imitate the coloured bodys of the Lumia range with a $5 silicone skin. QI wireless charging is now starting to roll out on big name phones, so really, the camera, and glove compatible screen are the only remarkable things about the lumia range. Give it a year every phone will have the same.

Add in the fact that Google are now selling the Nexus as a non-profit phone, so it can significantly undercut even the big players like Samsung, i don't see where Nokia have got to go.

The only positive i see, is if Nokia do go to Android, they'll have to drop their handset prices through the floor, and they'll have to do the same thing with their WP offerings, otherwise nobody will buy their WP devices, and as such, this will make Nokia WP devices cheaper, and may actually help WP.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Said it many a time, Android is pointless for Nokia. You can imitate the coloured bodys of the Lumia range with a $5 silicone skin. QI wireless charging is now starting to roll out on big name phones, so really, the camera, and glove compatible screen are the only remarkable things about the lumia range. Give it a year every phone will have the same.

Add in the fact that Google are now selling the Nexus as a non-profit phone, so it can significantly undercut even the big players like Samsung, i don't see where Nokia have got to go.

The only positive i see, is if Nokia do go to Android, they'll have to drop their handset prices through the floor, and they'll have to do the same thing with their WP offerings, otherwise nobody will buy their WP devices, and as such, this will make Nokia WP devices cheaper, and may actually help WP.

Honestly, if the Nokia Lumia 920 was an Android phone, I doubt it would even sell for 25p... Because as you say, they're undercutting Samsung are Google, and there's too many big names deeply entrenched in Android. If Nokia go Android, I personally think it's game over for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720