Camera comparision between Lumia 920 and iPhone 5

zmqlumia900

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Not at all buddy no troll here. 920 is great just not the best. That's all I am stating here. I'm happy cant complain just will be much happier once they polish things out.

Sent from my 64gig "New" iPad using Tapatalk

Aldiggi: You are correct on your opinion and I am still confused why many people in this forum still do not admit the weakness of 920's camera. You always talked about the landscape softness issues but people here always show you some close-up images which are not the problem we are considering. Not to say their pictures has the obvious white balace issue.

Though its camera is good, it is still far behind what it shoud reach. The camera's firmware definitely has the problem (the alogrithm converting binary data to image). Currently I can use Cameraeasy app to get sharper image (not sharpened by an alogrithm but reasonably using the sensor data). As a consumer I really wish Nokia is still working on their camera firmware to really improve the quality of image.

For those who still think lumia920 can get better pictures than other cell phones, I recommend you go to this website (Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com) and put down the prejudice to compare the image quality from different phones. Then you will know why many N8 and iphone5 users are not happier with 920.

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Aldiggi: You are correct on your opinion and I am still confused why many people in this forum still do not admit the weakness of 920's camera. You always talked about the landscape softness issues but people here always show you some close-up images which are not the problem we are considering. Not to say their pictures has the obvious white balace issue.

Though its camera is good, it is still far behind what it shoud reach. The camera's firmware definitely has the problem (the alogrithm converting binary data to image). Currently I can use Cameraeasy app to get sharper image (not sharpened by an alogrithm but reasonably using the sensor data). As a consumer I really wish Nokia is still working on their camera firmware to really improve the quality of image.

For those who still think lumia920 can get better pictures than other cell phones, I recommend you go to this website (Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com) and put down the prejudice to compare the image quality from different phones. Then you will know why many N8 and iphone5 users are not happier with 920.

Thanks buddy as that is all I am merely trying to say.

Sent from my 64gig "New" iPad using Tapatalk

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Meh, my Lumia beats the iPhone 5 based of the video camera alone, not even mentioning the low light voodoo. But yes, in daylight, its easier to use the iPhone 5as a p&s and take good pictures. But that's the only field where I see it as compedetive vs the Lumia... But id take the iPhone 5 over the GS3

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well... more pictures are taken during the day than at night.. so.. they need to work a bit more on the jpeg processing, and I am sure that they will.

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well... more pictures are taken during the day than at night.. so.. they need to work a bit more on the jpeg processing, and I am sure that they will.
of course they will. I was merely stating that the camera is top of class stuff and out of all the things you use it for, its not the best (yet) at one of them. But frankly, fix the algorithms and its the best there is, except for the 808 of course. someone remind me why Nokia ain't making dslr(s)? Would give canon and Nikon a run for their money

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
of course they will. I was merely stating that the camera is top of class stuff and out of all the things you use it for, its not the best (yet) at one of them. But frankly, fix the algorithms and its the best there is, except for the 808 of course. someone remind me why Nokia ain't making dslr(s)? Would give canon and Nikon a run for their money

The 808 is ridiculous haha, was Nokia just pointing out the can make a bad @ss camera but carriers will not allow them to jump that high so fast!?;)
They want us to buy the 12 megapixel then 15/20/25.....

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i think what's lost in this whole convo is the fact that the camera doesnt just take daylight pics. if you have to pick on this 1 thing about the lumia 920 camera to give another camera an advantage then the lumia 920's camera has already won. lets compare the lumia 920's camera to the iphone 5's in all camera category's (since after all you're talking about the camera and not just daytime pics)

daytime pics: i'll concede this to iphone 5 to prove my point although i dont think this is the case if you actually know how to take pics.
nighttime pics: lumia 920
daytime video: lumia 920
nighttime video: lumia 920
video audio (since this goes hand in hand with the video): lumia 920 with HAAC mics

so if we're talking about the camera of the lumia 920 vs. the iphone 5, the lumia 920 beats it period. as i already said, you have to really be nit picking to find 1 thing to give the iphone 5 an advantage. that says alot about the lumia 920's camera.

I find this method of comparing phones very poor, although it it's all over the net. It's like Grade I math.
A Grade V math would be more suited for this comparison, although still a simple method. In that method, you apply weights or percentages to each factor, rating on how important they are for you, and then you add them up.
In my case, daylight photos constitute most of my camera activity. If I were to use percentages, daylight photos weight of 60%. Unfortunately, my L920 sucks at this chapter, and apparently I5 doesn't.
Since i5 got over 60% of the points, L920 just can't beat it anymore, no matter who wins the other categories. Of course, other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I find this method of comparing phones very poor, although it it's all over the net. It's like Grade I math.
A Grade V math would be more suited for this comparison, although still a simple method. In that method, you apply weights or percentages to each factor, rating on how important they are for you, and then you add them up.
In my case, daylight photos constitute most of my camera activity. If I were to use percentages, daylight photos weight of 60%. Unfortunately, my L920 sucks at this chapter, and apparently I5 doesn't.
Since i5 got over 60% of the points, L920 just can't beat it anymore, no matter who wins the other categories. Of course, other people will have other ratings based on their use and purpose, so there is no clear winner or loser.

You argument with weights is all flawed. Depending on the scoring within each category the Lumia 920 could still win overall so saying it couldn't is false.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
A bit more detail on the ip5, and it also seems like it got the color reproduction a bit more accurate, but... you are the only one who can really say if did or not.

The 920 is so much wider tho... very nice. The 920 shot seems like a more accurate representation of your compositional intent, the ip5 shot looks compromised..

cn45Q.jpg

Z7f7S.jpg

Here is the detail from that

6ORLE.jpg

ip5
lbC8g.jpg

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
One day, I've tried iPhone 5 and 920. The former take pictures like 1-2 times faster than 920.
And I pressed the snap icon on iPhone 5, directly pressed down the snap button on 920.
So this impressed me a lot in a slight bad way.

I rarely use the camera button on 920, but touch to focus and shoot is great for me especially when i take my own photo using back camera

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
A bit more detail on the ip5, and it also seems like it got the color reproduction a bit more accurate, but... you are the only one who can really say if did or not.

The 920 is so much wider tho... very nice. The 920 shot seems like a more accurate representation of your compositional intent, the ip5 shot looks compromised..

http://i.imgur.com/cn45Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7f7S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ORLE.jpg

ip5
http://i.imgur.com/lbC8g.jpg

are these pics taken with latest firmware (Peurto Rico) or the old one?

Fitu Pham

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

http://i.imgur.com/cn45Q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7f7S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ORLE.jpg

ip5
http://i.imgur.com/lbC8g.jpg

Yes, the i5 has more details than the 920. if look at the sky color, i5 is more accrulated than 920, but if look at the building, 920 is more accrulated tham i5.

Look at the building on the left (the tallest one) you will see that the 920 has more details (there are some marks on the area around the flag, nad the poles of the building)

In my opinion, both of this cameras in the daylight condition are win-win position, yes i5 is a bit sharper but this 920 is not getting the firmware update yet. 920 is also good at the exposure area too.

It depends on the uses of people, but for me I rate for Lumia 920, because I am a DSLR user, so I just love the manual settings that come with stock camera app. If you want a bit better picture and easier controls of taking a picture, I recommend CameraPro app, that makes you get a great shot easier.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
old firmware, because my region has not released new one yet.

The game will change once you get Peurto Rico update. This thread is to compare Lumia 920 having Peurto Rico update with iPhone 5. I think you are the best person to post the comparision once you get Peurto Rico update

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb