Would/Will you switch from wp8 to ubuntu os?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No way. Without somebody integrating SkyDrive as thoroughly as MS has and will in future, I see no point in any other OS.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I doubt I would when it first came out. I'm quite happy with Windows Phone. What I will say though, is that if I were to leave Windows Phone, I'd probably be more likely to go to Ubuntu than I would Android or iOS.

Ubuntu is a great desktop Linux OS and from what I've seen, the phone OS has great potential. I hope Microsoft is paying attention to it too, and not afraid to copy some good ideas. I think Windows Phone could use a bit more for the "power users". Not taking away from the simplicity of course, but more under the hood than we have now. Ubuntu and BB10 seem to be prepared to deliver that, so my hope is that Microsoft will follow their lead and WP 8.5 or WP 9 will have some more robust features.

I think they will have a hard time getting it to take off though. As nice as Ubuntu is, I've been listening to Canonical make promises about Ubuntu really taking off in the desktop world for a while and I haven't seen it materialize yet. Most OEM's are just too afraid to commit to it, which is a shame, because it's quite good and the world deserves more choice than just Windows and Mac OS X. There is no good reason why Linux couldn't been that third option and Ubuntu is the most user-friendly desktop Linux you'll ever see. Forget about dependencies and having to type arcane commands in the terminal. My 66 year old mom could use Ubuntu with no problem.

Anyway, I'll be watching them closely on the phone.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Depends...but if Microsoft manages to make Windows Phone such that when I connect it to a monitor I get Windows RT with full Office, then no.

GreenLeaf182

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure yet. I have the 920 and I am finding it extremely underwhelming. I have been leaning towards BB10 but I think I may take a look at Ubuntu.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would give it a try, not sure about a overnight switch. I'm open to trying any new OS. Depending on the app selection and the overall feel of the OS, I'd give it a shot. **** I was thinking about giving BB10 a try.

teo155

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I just hope MS will take the best from this OS and bring it on WP. I was tempt to switch (ubuntu has at least a couple of things wp8 will never have), but probably it can wait.
Also, Ubuntu should bring a decrease of the phones prices (a part from apple, of course)...

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Doubt it - my experience with Linux so far has been really frustrating. I guess it depends on the app and feature selection, though - if you can access Camera RAW files on the 920, I might be tempted.

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've used Ubuntu, and while it is a decent OS for general web surfing and what not. It cannot and will not ever hold a candle to the power of what Windows can do.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used Ubuntu, and while it is a decent OS for general web surfing and what not. It cannot and will not ever hold a candle to the power of what Windows can do.

Uh.. you do know that every supercomputing cluster worth mentioning and most of the computers that form the backbone of the Internet run Linux, not Windows, don't you?

I like Windows, but LOL @ "the power of Windows" the only power Windows has is a huge selection of software. There's nothing inherently great about the OS itself and when it comes down to mission critical stuff, Linux is usually the weapon of choice.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
As much as I like Ubuntu, I would never get rid of my 8X and the only reason I haven't switched from Windows 8 to Ubuntu is because you can't sync it with Linux.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99