Would/Will you switch from wp8 to ubuntu os?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
unlocked phones and boot loaders ftw!

ya, I'll try it out. if its anywhere near android 2.3 usability, that will rock.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Ubuntu is alright as a desktop os, but as a phone? erm, no. The idea is you plug it into a monitor. Its not a phone os.

The question should be. Would you find having a full desktop os available on your phone that you could plug into a monitor/keyboard/mouse be helpful? The answer? Probably not :D

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read a couple of posts regarding connecting to a monitor like it's the newest, most fascinating thing out there. Well, I hate to break the news but, it's nothing new. Celio, the fine folks who brought us the RedFly Companion back in the Windows Mobile days, have had the "ScreenSlider" app and the Celio Mobile Dock available for Android devices for quite some time. As for Ubuntu, I would definitely try it since it is gesture-based as my late, lamented webOS, which was Linux-based also.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I may flash this to my Galaxy Nexus, which is currently running a flashed ROM. The Ubuntu OS has some great ideas, and I'd really like to get a feel for how it works in daily use.

I will not be switching to it however. I was with Windows Phone from the start and I love the platform. Starting over with a new OS on my daily driver would be silly.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I may flash this to my Galaxy Nexus, which is currently running a flashed ROM. The Ubuntu OS has some great ideas, and I'd really like to get a feel for how it works in daily use.

I will not be switching to it however. I was with Windows Phone from the start and I love the platform. Starting over with a new OS on my daily driver would be silly.

Starting over on a new OS would not be silly. Fact is, most of us who have had smartphones and PDAs since their inception, have HAD to learn a new OS because their previous favorite went the way of the dinosaur. Myself, I've had the misfortune of going from PalmOS to Windows Mobile to webOS to Symbian to Blackberry OS7. Talk about riding a losing streak.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Starting over on a new OS would not be silly. Fact is, most of us who have had smartphones and PDAs since their inception, have HAD to learn a new OS because their previous favorite went the way of the dinosaur. Myself, I've had the misfortune of going from PalmOS to Windows Mobile to webOS to Symbian to Blackberry OS7. Talk about riding a losing streak.

I've been on every PDA/smartphone platform since Palm OS 3.0, save for webOS. I've settled on Windows Phone for the foreseeable future. I really don't want to have to migrate to another platform, especially one which hasn't gotten off the ground and doesn't offer the apps and services I use now. That, for me, would be silly. :)

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Uh.. you do know that every supercomputing cluster worth mentioning and most of the computers that form the backbone of the Internet run Linux, not Windows, don't you?

I like Windows, but LOL @ "the power of Windows" the only power Windows has is a huge selection of software. There's nothing inherently great about the OS itself and when it comes down to mission critical stuff, Linux is usually the weapon of choice.

You're talking about web services and he's talking about client machines. Apples and Oranges, folks. Windows Server has a huge presence in corporate IT, but I don't hear you mentioning that.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
If they make one with a keyboard I will most definitely consider it. Microsoft and its partners seem to have no intention of catering to my desire for a keyboard, so ****em.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss