View Poll Results: Can the Blackberry 10 edge Windows Phone out of 3rd place?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 36.52%
  • No

41 35.65%
  • Maybe

32 27.83%
02-07-2013 10:02 AM
78 1234
tools
    I suppose if you technically look at what the poll question asked, BB10 in itself has zero market share right now. So can 'BB10' by itself get 3rd place? Or did the OP mean to say, can BB10 take BlackBerry into third place? I just talked to a friend that switched from a BB to an iPhone a couple of months ago. She is not too happy with the switch but was just too frustrated with the old BB. She will likely go back the next opportunity she has. I believe there are countless iPhone/Android users out there with a similar story.
    sirfly2fly likes this.
    01-21-2013 10:00 AM
    QNX looking good

snowmutt and Jazmac like this.
    01-21-2013 10:34 AM
    QNX looking good

yea it does, but I'm not a fan of the color schemes RIM seems to always use
    01-21-2013 02:10 PM
    After having my Nokia 820 since Christmas, I'm already thinking of changing my phone. My 820 has problems, the screen zooming in so big I have to turn the phone off to correct it, I have to do this at least 3 times over two days. I can't forward someone's text or even copy it. When I'm asleep the phone turns it's self off and won't turn on, so the only way I can turn it back on is by taking out the battery out, then touching the on switch. There are more things I could talk about but I can't be bothered, as it seems to me Nokia and MS had the same idea.
    01-21-2013 02:34 PM
    Isn't RIM IN third place right now with 7% market share? :/
    I think the number for last quarter had RIM pushing out about 7 million phones; but sell through was thought to be closer to 10 million. I think the Lumia sold 4.4 million last quarter; not sure of the total for all Windows phones. The marketplace needs as many alternatives to iOS/Android as possible. RIMM is focused on mobile; it is ALL they do. Their current tenacity and impending launch with a new OS is testament to their focus. I was an early user of WinMo on an HTC (which I still use and really retro enjoy!) but MSFT has always tried to do EVERYTHING. Office, XBOX, Windows, etc. are all grand slam hits but some of their stumbles have been equally spectacular. For me the jury is still out on WP. It can be a great platform if MSFT commits to it long term and polishes the OS and developer tools. If BB10 misses the mark this is were I will land.
    01-21-2013 02:37 PM
    Blackberry is no longer cool. It's mainly seen as a has-been device that no one uses apart from chavs, in the UK. Unfortunately, once a brand goes in this direction, it's hard to come back from.

I don't see BB10 knocking Wp8 off the 3rd spot. That being said, MS & Nokia still need to keep their finger on the pulse as there is never any guarantees. . .
    01-21-2013 02:42 PM
    After having my Nokia 820 since Christmas, I'm already thinking of changing my phone. My 820 has problems, the screen zooming in so big I have to turn the phone off to correct it, I have to do this at least 3 times over two days. I can't forward someone's text or even copy it. When I'm asleep the phone turns it's self off and won't turn on, so the only way I can turn it back on is by taking out the battery out, then touching the on switch. There are more things I could talk about but I can't be bothered, as it seems to me Nokia and MS had the same idea.
    turn off screen magnification in settings -> ease of use -> screen magnification

You should be able to copy and forward, long press the text and options will appear.

Don't know about your random power downs , I have a 920 and my phone does not do that.

If you actually learned how to use your phone rather than not being "bothered" and just complaining then you might have a more enjoyable experience...
    Oliver Newell likes this.
    01-21-2013 02:59 PM
    Blackberry is no longer cool. It's mainly seen as a has-been device that no one uses apart from chavs, in the UK. Unfortunately, once a brand goes in this direction, it's hard to come back from.

I don't see BB10 knocking Wp8 off the 3rd spot. That being said, MS & Nokia still need to keep their finger on the pulse as there is never any guarantees. . .
    WP8 isn't in the 3rd spot anyway. It is how BB10 can take their lead further and make WP8's life harder. This I see happening. Chavs don't want to move from BB10 to WP8 because, they don't get physical keyboard, their communication suite is unmatched and they can chat all day long without having to worry about connections etc! Chavs don't need Instagram anyway, but they need BBM or Whatsapp. BB10 looks to be doing that better than WP8.
    01-21-2013 03:00 PM
    I suppose if you technically look at what the poll question asked, BB10 in itself has zero market share right now. So can 'BB10' by itself get 3rd place? Or did the OP mean to say, can BB10 take BlackBerry into third place? I just talked to a friend that switched from a BB to an iPhone a couple of months ago. She is not too happy with the switch but was just too frustrated with the old BB. She will likely go back the next opportunity she has. I believe there are countless iPhone/Android users out there with a similar story.
    This is why I questioned earlier "Isn't Blackberry (as a whole) already in third place?" Blackberry as a whole has roughly 80 million users, and Windows Phone users (as a whole) doesn't have nearly as many users as Blackberry.

While BB10 has zero marketshare right now, all of BB's marketshare places them in 3rd place. Windows Phone 8 has about 4.4 million plus users so far, not sure how many WP7, 7.5 users are out there (although I am one of them). Perhaps the OP's question should have been more concise and based on OS iteration (BB10 vs. WP8) instead of BB10 vs. ALL WP version...

Depending on when BB10 is released, I'd wager that we won't have a clear picture of marketshare until end of second quarter 2013 - IDC and Nielson should have some concrete stats by then.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-21-2013 03:36 PM
    BB10 market share at start of February is 3% with Windows Phone 7%, Apple 15% and Android 75%.
    The only hardware advantage is MSM 8960T "Pro" that uses the Adreno 320 GPU where the WP8 uses the Adreno 225, Hardware accelerated web browser would be faster with BB10.
    Blackberry app count 110,000
    Windows Phone apps around 155,000.
    BB10 has more features then WP8 but we have to see what Microsoft is doing with WP8.1 one month later? We can only hope ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    This spring all 4 company's with new OS in there hands:
    - BB10
    - iOS6.1
    - WP8.1
    - Android 5.0 "Key Lime Pie"
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-21-2013 03:58 PM
    I have Windows Phone 8 myself, but maybe its to late for both BB10 and WP8 in the smartphone business?
    http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devic...-windows-phone

Its not the app number itself who counts, but you must have the most popular ones. Spotify,Instagram and all the others.
    Apps for banks and services etc..
    If they not coming I dont see a future for WP8, we will se if BB10 will have all the options to.
    But I have my doubts I think they will have similar problem like the Windows Phone platform.
    01-21-2013 04:33 PM
    I think BB10 will edge out WP8 as MS loses focus once again. They just seem to be sitting on there hands with things and could have taken a bit more time to refine WP8 before it was released. RIM has taken the time and media beating to just focus heavily on BB10 and make it something worth while, they have a following and BBM keeps them in it while they were working on this. The hardware seems great and BB10 looks to be a big nail in WP8. If businesses gravitate back toward them by just a fraction it will be all the difference. Internationally BBM will keep them in non developed countries and the cheap phones will make them worthwhile. The fact that they have almost as many apps as WP should be a slap and kick to MS face in how badly they have fumbled the WP ecosystem.
    01-21-2013 05:13 PM
    If you look at the sale over the past couple of years, RIM held a distand 2nd place for a while there.. which means that they managed to stay way ahead of the Microsoft's previous efforts..

2010-2011 is when things started to fade away..

Now they will need a solid carrier support to get back in the game, and I know that they might get it in the US, but worldwide.. I am not so sure.
    snowmutt likes this.
    There is, in my world, two larger questions:

1) Can RIM survive as a hardware/software developer? This is a point I try to make: RIM does not have the resources of Apple, which is the only other company left standing that is a strict "in house" mobile provider. They have the money and the HUGE fan base to cover the monster investments it takes in R&D to develop the iPhone, test, produce, ensure the supply chain, market it, distribute it as well as all the investments for the software development, updates, and support. There is no way you can put a single dollar on these rising costs. Even Apple is starting to get criticized for falling behind and becoming stale. RIM does not have the luxury of the cash flow of Apple. Let's not forget that BB10 became so important due to RIM falling behind in the first place. Let us not forget how many times RIM has delayed BB10. It does look like they are doing this launch right, and that BB10 will be a nice OS. But- can they continue to keep up with the frantic pace of mobile? In a year and a half will they just fall back again, unable to keep up with the innovations of other companies? This is RIMs challenge. MS and Google not only have OEM's taking care of the hardware development and supply chain costs, they are both huge companies with many ventures with many other revenue streams flowing in. BlackBerry is it for RIM. While I expect CrackBerry loyalists to make BB10 a huge success in 2013, I find that scary for their future.

2) Is there room enough in the mobile market for more then 2 or 3 OS's? If so, then this is a unimportant question. I personally think that at even a 70% market share for iOS and Android leaves plenty of sales and room in the billion dollar industry that is mobile for both RIM and WP to thrive. The third place finish is only really important if you believe there won't be enough room for a fourth OS.

I am very, VERY excited for BB10. I love competition and choices. No, I am not planning on leaving WP, but I accept that it is silly to close off yourself to options. Right now, I am 80% sure I will be a WP 8 user (On my beloved Focus S WP7 right now, no hurry to leave it), with a 10% curiosity to BB10, and a 10% open mind to Android as both ICS and JB has improved it performance tons.

I am cheering for all 4 OS's to survive.
    CDG and saintforlife like this.
    BB will always have the die hards and physical keyboard crowds. That will never change. They will also have a foot hold in emerging markets due to their data compression and edge speeds. BB will never be a force in the established markets again. China, Europe, US and Australia already passed them by for the other options. Too many people have moved on to bigger and better. I loved my BBs over the years, but I will only give up my WP8 device when WP9 comes out. The integration of systems from computer, tablet, and phone is where the next Gen is going. Apple and MS already have that area covered. Android is so open they can manage with any system. BB has very limited integration into computer side. I'm sure its better with BB10 but will never be competitive and always have limited functionality. Let them have the emerging markets.
    01-21-2013 05:21 PM
    I see BB10 being very competitive and giving it a great fight. MS is trying to fight battles on to many fronts and lacks focus on picking it's fights. RIM has one focus which is the mobile market and it looks like BB10 will be the real deal. Things are about to get interesting.
    01-21-2013 05:44 PM
    BB will always have the die hards and physical keyboard crowds. That will never change. They will also have a foot hold in emerging markets due to their data compression and edge speeds. BB will never be a force in the established markets again. China, Europe, US and Australia already passed them by for the other options. Too many people have moved on to bigger and better. I loved my BBs over the years, but I will only give up my WP8 device when WP9 comes out. The integration of systems from computer, tablet, and phone is where the next Gen is going. Apple and MS already have that area covered. Android is so open they can manage with any system. BB has very limited integration into computer side. I'm sure its better with BB10 but will never be competitive and always have limited functionality. Let them have the emerging markets.
    Or could it be going to M2M? QNX and their NOC will give them opportunity to go beyond mobile handsets... and can u explain the computer,tablet, integration going on?
    01-21-2013 05:47 PM
    People seem to throw RIM just to the low end developing nations and think that will be it. That low end leads to the high end in user experience. That have a name brand recognition that WP lacks and when they launch it's going to surprise a few how well they do.
    01-21-2013 05:55 PM

1) Can RIM survive as a hardware/software developer? This is a point I try to make: RIM does not have the resources of Apple, which is the only other company left standing that is a strict "in house" mobile provider. They have the money and the HUGE fan base to cover the monster investments it takes in R&D to develop the iPhone, test, produce, ensure the supply chain, market it, distribute it as well as all the investments for the software development, updates, and support. There is no way you can put a single dollar on these rising costs. Even Apple is starting to get criticized for falling behind and becoming stale. RIM does not have the luxury of the cash flow of Apple. Let's not forget that BB10 became so important due to RIM falling behind in the first place. Let us not forget how many times RIM has delayed BB10. It does look like they are doing this launch right, and that BB10 will be a nice OS. But- can they continue to keep up with the frantic pace of mobile? In a year and a half will they just fall back again, unable to keep up with the innovations of other companies? This is RIMs challenge. MS and Google not only have OEM's taking care of the hardware development and supply chain costs, they are both huge companies with many ventures with many other revenue streams flowing in. BlackBerry is it for RIM. While I expect CrackBerry loyalists to make BB10 a huge success in 2013, I find that scary for their future.

2) Is there room enough in the mobile market for more then 2 or 3 OS's? If so, then this is a unimportant question. I personally think that at even a 70% market share for iOS and Android leaves plenty of sales and room in the billion dollar industry that is mobile for both RIM and WP to thrive. The third place finish is only really important if you believe there won't be enough room for a fourth OS.

I am very, VERY excited for BB10. I love competition and choices. No, I am not planning on leaving WP, but I accept that it is silly to close off yourself to options. Right now, I am 80% sure I will be a WP 8 user (On my beloved Focus S WP7 right now, no hurry to leave it), with a 10% curiosity to BB10, and a 10% open mind to Android as both ICS and JB has improved it performance tons.

My guess is that RIM is trying to see how well BB10 goes before licensing out the software. They are going to use this to ramp up demand, then long term they may license it out, and let OEM's do the hardware.

RIM CEO says licensing of BlackBerry 10 'conceivable' | Mobile - CNET News
    01-21-2013 06:09 PM

I agree with #1, in the past RIM hardware always lagged behind the current crop of smartphones when released. And their software was always buggy as all heck.
    I feel ttheonly reason BB10 looks dso good is because they have not really been doing anything else, once this starts going live and the pace gets frantic again will RIM fall behind again?
    01-21-2013 06:53 PM
    I seriously doubt that will be the case. what is wrong with xbox music? It works great for me? does rim allow any music service that allows unlimited streaming for free and unlimited downloading for 10 dollars a month? In case you have not noticed Skype is still in preview mode and no, even then it does not suck at all. By now it is common knowledge that instagram is in the works for a while now and with regards to games considering the recent promotion being made It should not be too long before Microsoft finally starts to deliver on that front.
    01-21-2013 07:02 PM
    You should really get you device replaced by nokia, not get a different brand. The problems that you described have nothing to do with platform issues as are just a sign of a defective device.
    01-21-2013 07:11 PM
    Nearly 20,000 new BlackBerry 10 apps submitted this past weekend - Yahoo! News

Developers submitted 19,071 apps in 36 hours, bringing RIM closer to its goal of offering more than 70,000 apps at launch.
    01-21-2013 07:23 PM
    I can see BB10 easily outselling WP8 and eventually maybe even iOS. RIM has some serious clout still left from ye olde days. Question now is. Will it surpass WP8 in popularity? At this point it could outsell the WP8 with out hurting our base. Remember. Both OSes are now fighting over the annoyed Android and Apple users.
    01-21-2013 07:30 PM
    Yes, BB has more of they key apps. BB also has the best notifications. I have owned 4 BlackBerry's and 4 Windows Phones and the only thing I liked about WP was the fast and easy UI. With BB10 they will be making BlackBerry user friendly again.
    01-21-2013 07:35 PM
78 1234