Can the Blackberry 10 edge Windows Phone out of 3rd place?

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
lets hope for 4 big platforms, that'd be ideal. Get some competition going, I have to admit the BB 10 looks gorgeous, not as nice as my lumia 920, but damn nice all the same.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Capital doesn't decide who overtakes who, we the consumers will, no matter how much money each company has in the bank and BB10 will have more then 46/50 top apps...

The only reason android has so many apps is because it is open source .. Which means any junkie can make an app regardless of quality .. The only reason apple is so popular is because they have a massive marketing budget same with Microsoft.. Rim doesn't have the available cash or the credentials to make it with out a massive marketing campaign .. They also don't have the market share to just spit out any app like android .. In order for them to succeed they have to flood the market with advertisements and get all the popular apps and also have exclusive apps as well .. That said ... its just another android phone put into an iPhone 5 case .. Unless it was free why would I waste my time

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
, SkyDrive, one note, etc.

I would say that Microsoft's back end is very, very solid .. and that might save wp and them as a company in the end. Their efforts with Windows Azure and the rest of the cloud services their offer seem to be very good. SkyDrive is the best cloud storage available (I think) and it integrates with Windows very well.

After watching this Windows Azure Internals | Build 2012 | Channel 9 I am pretty confident that they got this one down. It seems like they have their best people working on it.. now I think its time to spend some time on the Windows Phone venture because that is a big part of the puzzle.

RIM has no way to match that... they need to partner up with several different companies to even get close to Microsoft's services...

But I don't really know how much of that matters at the end.. we will see. Windows Phone 8 is at 1.0 right now.. it will take some time for it to mature. And let's not forget that Windows NT was never meant to be used on a mobile phone, so it will be a tremendous effort to make it work properly. RIM will have an easier time with QNX...

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen on the 'leaks', BB10 is a commendable OS; their app count jumped 15,000 in two days - which is quite impressive for a brand new, unproven environment; and the general public opinion is that BBs (including the antiquated ones) are more robust, reliable and overall just plain better when it comes to security.

MS on the other hand is sitting on a gold mine wasting their time - they have a ton of business such as Xbox, Skype, Office, Skydrive and just can't seem to figure out how to best integrate them on WP8. I mean come on, Skype's still in beta??
And Office on WP8 doesn't even have as many features as some never-heard-of-it-before productivity app on android.
And if things weren't bad enough for them, Google's declared an all-out war on MS openly declaring they won't be bothered with the W8/WP8 platforms. Which is bad coz like it or not Google *does* dictate a lot of things that matter (like YouTube and Maps for instance).

Also, like someone above pointed out, RIM's been busy flooding the market with entry level Curves at throw-away prices while working on their flagship - while WP8 has like, 3-4 flagships and a couple of almost-low-end phones. Not to mention the whole bunch of Mango phones which were ignored and early adopters laughed in their faces. Not exactly the best strategy to win customer loyalty.

But in a way this is a good thing - competition is what made iOS and android grow, and WP8 needs a worthy competitor to get back in the game. And from what I've seen, BB10 is one.

sirfly2fly

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Ya, since major devs have just been chomping at the bit to develop for BB this far. My Playbook after almost two years still doesn't have Netflix, descent FB app, SkyDrive, one note, etc. I'm not talking side loading or third party apps. I'm talking the real deal, no work around. It really doesn't matter, BB or MS, whoever is third and fourth are still going to struggle to get dev support. Why would I write for 3% or 7% coverage when I can write for the other two with 70% coverage? But I would still write for MS because I can change a little code here and there and have PC, RT and WP covered. Triple play. Simple math will decide who gets the support. BB will still have a good hold on emerging markets but without SkyDrive, icloud, one note, gmail and ass. apps, and so many other features baked into OS, they don't have a chance. It's ecosystem and BB messenger won't save them this time. They may surprise, but their ecosystem is just so limited outside of enterprise market.

You don't have it because your PB does not have BB10, RIM didn't push PB and it wasn't a finished product we all know this... major devs were obviously waiting for BB10 as you can see some of the ones announced were never on the PB. idk what you mean about that ecosystem being limited outside of PB statement

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
RIM looks good in most markets.. I was wrong about their global reach earlier. But it seem like they lost a lot in the US, and Windows Phone gained.. so according to this, WP is the 3rd one in the US currently.

kantardec2012-600x513.png

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
ya.. I don't how accurate those stats are, but.. it seems like they lost quite a bit in the US.

Here is another global one.. RIM did very well from '08 to '10. It sort of followed the Symbian curve, just on a much smaller scale. Now that brown line... no bueno, but I feel like MS will see big gains in 2013.

what-is-mobile-operating-system.png

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
RIM has learn from their mistakes. The had the Playbook which was a nice piece of hardware but the no apps to support it. Now they are going all out with BB10 and they are making sure that the apps will be there at launch. Not like MS with their promise of 46/50 top apps. Still waiting for Pandora, Facebook and YouTube.

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
RIM has learn from their mistakes. The had the Playbook which was a nice piece of hardware but the no apps to support it. Now they are going all out with BB10 and they are making sure that the apps will be there at launch. Not like MS with their promise of 46/50 top apps. Still waiting for Pandora, Facebook and YouTube.

I am really counting on MS. I really hope they do not fail on us. I have my 920 and i5 and just currently went back to the i5. Hardware and OS is great its just the app sh%t needs to get together already MS c'mon. For my android fix I have my Nexus 7. BB is playing this very smart.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If BB10 is relatively stable, and has the essential 3rd party apps (voip, maps, music.. youtube) .. it should be fine. It seems like there is a lot functionality built into the OS, which would eliminate the need for an "app"..

I will test it out for sure.. I wonder if they will be selling those unlocked with AT&T bands on board

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
"I am very, VERY excited for BB10. I love competition and choices. No, I am not planning on leaving WP, but I accept that it is silly to close off yourself to options. Right now, I am 80% sure I will be a WP 8 user (On my beloved Focus S WP7 right now, no hurry to leave it), with a 10% curiosity to BB10, and a 10% open mind to Android as both ICS and JB has improved it performance tons."

Still rocking your Focus S, good for you!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss