IPhone Beating Nokia 10-to-1 Leaves U.S. Effort in Doubt

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I believe that Nokia and windows phone 8 have an incredibly hard road for a decent share in the market. Horrible marketing and little app support have played a huge part in wp8 lackluster sales. Myself, after nearly 2 years of having a windows phone have not seen a single other person with another windows phone, and I live in a city of roughly 1 million people.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
its hard.

If they continue to build good products, they will come. But the eco system of apple is hard to get people away from. Plus they are so blinkered and dont even try anything else.
I think if most people actually bothered to look elsewhere, they would come away with something that isnt an iPhone.

Every iphone person i know has converted away, but thats because they are intelligent people.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's a conscious thing but a sub conscious thing. It makes sense that you would buy something native to your country.

Everyone has their turn at the top of the pile and while it may seem Apples is drawing to a close companies like Nokia have to capitalize on this. It does make me laugh though that currently the 2 most successful smartphone companies are successful because they had devices that looked and felt like one another (patent wars).

The way phone contracts generally work now are you get a phone and are stuck on the contract for 2 years. Living with something that you use on a daily basis for that amount of time can only make it more difficult to switch. Breaking a habit is hard to do but eventually someone will do it.

Well, I certainly can't read the minds of every American out there. So maybe there is some subconscious stuff going on. But just from my experiences and what I see on a daily basis, we honestly (outside of a few with a conscious need to show some sort of patriotism) could give two s@ts about something being American born or not. I can walk down the street now and see a Honda Civic pretty my much on every block. A few of the best selling consoles and gaming devices here in the states of the last 10 years were from a Japanese based company (Nintendo). Samsung phones are everywhere. Those are just a handful of examples.

Additionally, when more than half the country probably couldn't tell you who is and could careless whom our Secretary of Defense is, I just don't see something being American based is much on their mind. Our culture is about having the best and shiniest new product now. Keeping up with the joneses. Not much time there to think about where something came from.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
its hard.

If they continue to build good products, they will come. But the eco system of apple is hard to get people away from. Plus they are so blinkered and dont even try anything else.
I think if most people actually bothered to look elsewhere, they would come away with something that isnt an iPhone.

Every iphone person i know has converted away, but thats because they are intelligent people.

I have looked elsewhere, i have done some research, have played with other devices, and guess what? WP isnt there yet, why would i switch if it lacks apps i use?, or maybe have some apps i like only to find out they dont work as well.

Why are some people so desperate to make other people like what they like?

The reason i pick an idevice rightnow is because of apps that i use on a daily basis that dont exsist on WP, others do exsist but ive seen they dont work as well, changing or switching wouldnt make me ''smarter''.

If it came down only to hardware, pretty icons, taking pictures at night and everything else as equal or better thant what the iphone has to offer then i wouldnt even hesitate to switch from iphone to wp.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
84% of At&t Smartphones sold in Q4 were iPhones ... crazy numbers.

Following is NPD's year-over-year comparison of market share and growth for the top-five smartphone manufacturers:
Q4 2011 Q4 2012
Apple 41% 39%
Samsung 21% 30%
Motorola 8% 7%
HTC 14% 6%
LG 5% 6%

Based on the latest information from NPD, the top-selling mobile phones in the U.S. were as follows:
Rank Brand
1 iPhone 5
2 Samsung Galaxy S III
3 iPhone 4S
4 iPhone 4
5 Samsung Galaxy S II

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
As far as getting recognition out there, maybe take the phone out of the hands of the tech press and do the advertising yourself. Do something radical like half hour infomercials during primetime all about WP on high profile networks. Or do a concert special with todays hottest music acts performing in one segment and then showing off WP and its features in another.

And I know this is beating a dead horse. But something has to be done about the missing major apps. Whether you personally use them or not, their omission is glaring. I'm sure the WP team is working hard to do something about it. Maybe something radical like creating their own services or buying a vimeo or fhotoroom is Google or Instagram refuse to create official apps.

Before they do this make sure all apps ( popular ones) work flawlessly. They don't now.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've just made the switch to WP8 after over 3 years of iOS. I can't even tell you how bad iOS was before that "i" (all the way up until 4.x.x). You couldn't send an MMS, could't record videos, didn't had proper maps, you couldn't figure out how many caracthers you had already written while texting, couldn't sync mail with hotmail, and the list goes on and on!
We are in heaven right now, this is a brand new OS, we're on the 2nd version, we still have a long road ahead but u can tell already that the basis are great! I just made the switch from matturest and steadiest OS on the planet, and still, I wouldn't go back! Long live WP8!!

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope Nokia/MS can do something to bring people over, I know someone who went with an iPhone because they were not sure if they would know how to use WP(familiarity)...

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
(familiarity)...
Huge here in the US .. Apple have an amazing stronghold from that perspective. If you don't have an iphone, there is a pretty much 100% chance that most of your friends do, and their friends.. and some of their kids.. they are fking everywhere (not the kids, the iphones..) lol

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia made 820 with 16gb (stuck on At&T for now), I wouldn't even be looking at the iphone. I don't want the size and don't need all the bells and whistles of the 920. The 820 is perfect, but why did Verizon get the 822 with 16gb and AT&T got stuck with the 8 gb 820? I want to have the choice to load my memory on the phone instead of an SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12