Why Im thinking of getting iPhone and wait until WP is more developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is a work around, but, my major issue is that apps will close automatically if there to many apps open. I think limit is 9 tasks so if you open 10th, 1st one will be close automatically.

Well, you did say there was no way to manually close them in your original post.

There is always going to be some limit to the number of apps you can have running simultaniously, regarless of platform. Any device has a finite amount of memory space. It appears based on what I have read in the forums here, that WP8 has a hard coded limit of 8 or 9 apps open at once. This may change to a more dynamically set limit as the OS matures and be based on not only RAM but the ability to memory swap with the permenant storage. Or maybe not.

You actually want apps to close automatically, otherwise your device will slow to a crawl and eventually just freeze as it runs out of memory.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is a work around, but, my major issue is that apps will close automatically if there to many apps open. I think limit is 9 tasks so if you open 10th, 1st one will be close automatically.

Just wondering, how many apps do you like to have open, running in the background?

You have some valid points and can understand if someone is not completely happy, then they should have several options to choose from.

Purge_GT

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
25 Windows Phone 8 tips | Reviews | CNET UK

7. Saving battery
Under settings is a 'battery saver' option. When it's switched on, you'll get more hours of battery life, but keep in mind you'll need to manually check for new emails, and apps will no longer run in the background. At the bottom is a summary of how much battery life you have left, assuming you don't suddenly start streaming cat videos on loop.

When this feature is turned on, you can tap on 'advanced' at the bottom of the screen (it's greyed out when the feature is off) and choose a point at which it should automatically turn on, or if it should stay on all the time.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If they are perfectly happy with their current devices - why should they bother wasting their time to try to get to know about the other devices?  My parents are perfectly satisfied with the iPhones and the way they function for their needs and they don't even know what type of OS my Lumia 920 runs or what it can do... I see nothing wrong with that and certainly see no reason to call them "lemmings" or "iSheeple" or trying to force them to switch to same type of mobile OS. Same goes for all my friends who use the iOS-based devices - they don't care to know anything about my Lumia 920 and WP, and I don't care that they don't care, as long as they are perfectly happy with their devices 

Calling people M$ fanbots is no better than calling people lemmings or isheep. Practice what you preach

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
?? Yes...there is? Multitasking kills battery does it not?

Multitasking does, but not having apps on standby which is the system user in WP, like Ios iirc (not like maemo5 where it actively ran in the background).

By actively shutting down apps youre actually wasting battery.

Apps in the background (ie not backed out of) consume no battery.

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
1. using the back button closes the application. though depending on the application it does indeed take of where you left off when you closed it. Though personally i think this is a benefit rather than a detriment.

2. notifications. havent been an issue for me actually. I play with the damn phone so frequently that glancing at a live tile is hardly an inconvenience. and if i reply to a text an hour or two late. well if it was urgent they should have called :)

3. yup that annoys me as well. but tbh hasn't been that much of an issue. just annoys me on a principle level that the phone has hardware i cannot use.

4. you can add a word to the wordbook and the autocorrect should suggest it pretty quickly. true not the samething. but.... i can almost touchtype on this keyboard and i havent been able to do that on any other phone. this after 3 weeks of use

Hardware. yup it is a big phone. going back to iphone will definitely solve that :)

oh battery. i have found battery apps which have lockscreen support but i cant recommend them as they themselves drain quite a lot ironically enough.

Biggest gripe is some buggy apps (whatsapp im looking at you!!!) draining the battery.

biggest pro is the readabillity of the screen and the accuracy of the keyboard autocorrect.

no shame if you decide this phone isn't for you, you gave it an honest chance :). I do expect that a lot of these isssues will get ironed out. in the meantime though i enjoy being an early adopter, and some of the things WP gets right it does awesomely well. other things awesomely ****ty. *shrug*. cant have everything

Thigis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking does, but not having apps on standby which is the system user in WP, like Ios iirc (not like maemo5 where it actively ran in the background).

By actively shutting down apps youre actually wasting battery.

Apps in the background (ie not backed out of) consume no battery.

it might be a placebo effect but i do get the impression that background apps consume battery. at least the social ones i.e. the ones used for messaging or social networks

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thigis: If they run in the background, then yes. But not things like Messages, Phone, IE, etc. Things that do not appear in the "background tasks" AS "allowed".
Thats a different thing alltogether.

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why you aren't on iMore. You don't have a Windows Phone and you seem to take pride showing its shortcomings - it's odd.

Ah, yes, a typical "go away from our exclusive club if you don't want to constantly kiss Steve Ballmer's ass!" reply by typical M$ fanbot... You guys are so cute! ;-)

I do have Lumia 920, since November of last year, you would see that if you'd actually care to see my post history... But of course, it's just easier to call me "iSheeple" and ASSume that I only use Apple devices for everything ;-)

image.jpg

Last edited:

Alex Kj

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Calling people M$ fanbots is no better than calling people lemmings or isheep. Practice what you preach

How else should I call people who assume that everyone who has a different subjective preference is an "iSheeple"/"lemming" or that "WP is a perfect OS and noone has the right to critique it"? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon