8X vs Z10

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade on Verizon in the future but do not know which platform to opt for. Windows Phone was already on my mind but I put it off and got the 9370 because the HTC Trophy was not a great option at the time. Right now I am comparing the Z10 and 8X but have no idea which to get because each seem to have their strong point but neither device has the right blend I am looking for.

I guess the question boils down to: Why do I choose WP8 over BB10 and what would I be giving up/gaining coming from OS7.1?

(bridging, native apps like BBTravel, email ease, Skype video calling, Windows 8, etc)

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, if neither device has everything you want/need why don't you consider Android or iOS?

As far as WP8 vs BB10, the fact that you are asking here instead of Crackberry tells me you are leaning to WP8 anyway.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, if neither device has everything you want/need why don't you consider Android or iOS?

As far as WP8 vs BB10, the fact that you are asking here instead of Crackberry tells me you are leaning to WP8 anyway.

That is true. I am leaning towards WP8. I am not even considering iPhone because of device price. I tried Android and it requires too much effort to customize and root. Fragmentation is another issue. Windows Phone 8 seems to have a lot of features but might not cover email, BlackBerry Travel, granular backup/restore functions, etc just the way I want it. Windows Phone 8 however seems to have good camera, maps, ecosystem with my Win8 PCs, device price for quality.. etc.

That is where I stand. I don't know why one is better then the other. Thus my original question of what I would be giving up, gaining, or seeing in a different form instead of outright asking which is best.

EDIT: I should also mention I dislike Google's vague privacy policy for some of the more simple apps that are based on its services.

Last edited:

web99

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are in Canada, Future shop has the BB Z10, the Nokia Lumia 920/820 and others on display. Why don't you go there and try both of them out and then you may be able to compare them against your personal likes/dislikes? That was it would be easier for you to make a decision.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are in Canada, Future shop has the BB Z10, the Nokia Lumia 920/820 and others on display. Why don't you go there and try both of them out and then you may be able to compare them against your personal likes/dislikes? That was it would be easier for you to make a decision.

I am in the US so I can't test a Z10/Q10 right now. I was hoping for some WP8 user who used a BB to explain their transition. That way I can compare my priorities to what realistically happens and not solely what is in the reviews.

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think BB OS 10 is so different from the previous version that no former BB user will properly help you.
They redesigned the OS, they made back-end modifications on their services because servers were upgraded. It's all down to preferences, what you like.
Are you intrigued by WP8 live tiles and smoothness? Or do you like the "cards" tiles of BB 10 ?
Honestly if I were you I would think like this:
Who extensively used BB 10 till now? No one, yet. So if you are jumping to BB 10 you will be a lab rat, so to speak. If you go to WP8 you'll be a more advanced lab rat with a better immune system :))

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I own a HTC 8X and would recommend it wholeheartedly, it is in no way perfect, but its a new OS at the end of the day, it has to mature even tho it is 75% there already, like Android did when I jumped on the bandwagon 10years ago, the app store was very baron, but it exploded over the year and I can see that happening with WP8 already, definitely improving the store week by week.

I think Microsoft have got this right this time with W8P, from reading "neutral" reviews of BB10, It is being reported as "ok" whereas WP8 OS has been getting some great reviews, with the only negative really the app store which will improve over time

The HTC 8X is an absolutely gorgeous handset, sound quality when listening through headphones is the best ive heard on ANY handset, the camera is very good and the screen is amazing I am soo happy abandoning Android and moving to WP8, absolutely no regrets.

Definitely plump for WIndows Phone 8 in my opinion, but I am biased lol

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think BB OS 10 is so different from the previous version that no former BB user will properly help you.
They redesigned the OS, they made back-end modifications on their services because servers were upgraded. It's all down to preferences, what you like.
Are you intrigued by WP8 live tiles and smoothness? Or do you like the "cards" tiles of BB 10 ?
Honestly if I were you I would think like this:
Who extensively used BB 10 till now? No one, yet. So if you are jumping to BB 10 you will be a lab rat, so to speak. If you go to WP8 you'll be a more advanced lab rat with a better immune system :))

Well put I must say. I just wonder if being a lab rat will give me the headache I don't want.

I like but don't like the cards in BB10. One of the reasons being because there is no place for persistent icons or widget style entries for weather or the like. OS7.1 makes use of the notification bar in this regard and works well enough at the moment. The amount of apps obviously is not something I value so long as the few quality ones are there. The device hardware quality of WP8 is what has me interested (and with BB Z10).

Whatever the case is, I will be upgrading all three lines to one of the two platforms after learning what transitions I will have to make from an OS7.1 device. I appreciate the advice so far.

Are there any difficulties of being with WP8 and Win8 that one would have to deal with using the devices?

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for helping me decide. I have concluded that the BlackBerry Z10 is not right for me and I will wait for the Nokia 'Laser'. I chose Windows Phone over BlackBerry 10 as it seems like the most stable (read least maddening) and feature filled alternative operating system. I will continue to use my BlackBerry OS device until I see a fitting time to let it go. The Nokia hardware endorsement is what pushed me over the edge.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb