BB10 Z10 Vs. Lumia 920

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That seemed to be a fairly accurate review. I think the strength of bb10 are exactly what he said. It's a good os. That being said your not losing anything with 920 in utility, it just does it differently. The good thing is they're both going to continue to improve. The utility of the 920 is something that is not demonstrate enough. Awesome devise.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i dunno... that new blackberry stopped aguy from getting killed by an out of control fuel truck. i was impressed. :D

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The good thing is they're both going to continue to improve.
Yes. Although BB has the advantage here in that people are more patient with them because it's so new. They have this grace period to knock out a lot of bugs. That time frame for WP is almost over. Some would say that time passed a month or two ago. What Microsoft needs to do is to forget about the competition for now and concentrate on what WP users are saying. If they forget about keeping up with the Jones' and focus on making WP the best it can be, it will surpass the Jones'. The rest is gravy. Proof is in the pudding and people like good pudding.

My initial take on BB10 is that it's more of the same. The hardware is an iPhone as far as I'm concerned. The software is Android. The UI is iAndroid. More of the same icon layout. WP is the only option if you want a UI that doesn't look like anything else.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a fair review.

BB10 looks like it has a lot of potential. Once the work a few of the small initial bugs out I think it will be a formidable competitor.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I saw the review with tony stark on crackberry. His choice of WP device was interesting. I disagree that the BB10 is the same old. The app layout is definitely nothing new but how the UI works and how it moves from one thing to another with out the in and out then back in, is an improvement. All open apps are laid out and quickly accessed. I think it looks pretty good although understated as blackberry usually is. Matter of opinion. The 920 is a great looking phone though. My buddies all have SG3 and that is a very understated phone to put it mildly. I frickin totally agree that MS or BB or who ever needs to just focus on their product and innovation rather than trying to keep up with the Jones or the Smiths, whatever. Leave that to android. boom!! :winktongue:

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
See for the most part windows does do its own thing but there are things they just didn't have a enough time to make like a notification center and if things are like they've been MS will do a center there own way that's why I like windows different but intuitive.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Is it me or does that BB hardware just look cheaply made? Particularly the back-side shot.

It's the same type of design as the typical Samsung plastic junk...to be fair, Samsung phones are almost indestructable but they are not using nice materials and the Z10 looks really cheap.
However, it's light and some will like that...

The benefit of WP is that one manfacturer like Samsung will release the Ativ S which is super light with a big ass screen and then Nokia will release the highest quality phone like the 920 but it's a tank...choice is great. With BB your choices are white and black

Mike3of3

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The Z10 looks like a cheap iPhone copy and doesn't say quality in any way. The software doesn't thrill me any more than Android does. My 820 beats it easily never mind a 920, and that's coming from somebody who just came from BB 2 weeks ago.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The Z10 looks like a cheap iPhone copy and doesn't say quality in any way. The software doesn't thrill me any more than Android does. My 820 beats it easily never mind a 920, and that's coming from somebody who just came from BB 2 weeks ago.

Have you touched the phone you're dismissing yet ?

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I do like BB10, the UI is kind of like a mixture between iOS, webOS and Android. The gestures are cool, they're something I would have liked to have seen in WP and I do like it far better than Android and iOS. BB10 will be a nice OS to use. I still think WP has the nicest and most unique UI though. Functionality wise I think it is better than WP but if we all wanted our phone to be able to do more things then we'd be using iOS and Android instead right now, wouldn't we?

Because apps are so easily ported from android to BB10 I think we'll see it becoming more and more of an Android clone (albeit a better version of Android), which in terms of apps numbers will be good for them but whether they'll be of high quality is another question. They'll most likely be left with a cluster**** of apps with varying designs and it's just something I didn't enjoy when using Android. I like the design philosophy of WP and should Microsoft release an update to fill the gaps left in the OS (Notification centre being top priority) I don't think BB10 will be able to keep up. The Microsoft ecosystem is so large, WP has so much potential to become a big player. I just don't see that with BB10.

I do hope that both BB10 and WP8 can take a nice big chunk out of Android's marketshare this year.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it will get old always having to swipe up from the bottom then over to the right to 'peek' at the notifications? It doesn't really feel like a 'glance and go' type of implimentation.

I'll have to wait until March to test one out, as I have to build a BES 10 environment for some users.... I'm just basing my thoughts on The Verge review..

Unfortunately, there's a lot about the execution that doesn't work. For instance, you can't see what kind of notifications you have waiting for you unless you peek over at your list (there are actually icons that show you what's new, but you still have to use the peek gesture to see them). Additionally, the Hub doesn't always represent your overall lists of notifications or messages — when you hear an SMS notification and go to check it out, you're greeted with whatever you were doing last, which forces you to then hit a "back" button that appears in applications, or swipe over (a gesture that works in some places, but not in others). In general, I felt like I was doing a lot of extra work to see the most recent stuff in my Hub.

Compared with how iOS and Android handle notifications, the Z10 felt clunkier and more confusing in some ways. I would rather have a representation of a notification that is abstracted from the actual message, because that allows me to dismiss the transitory notices without having to necessarily deal with the content itself.

The unified inbox is a great idea, but having to deal with both your actual inbox and your notifications on the same level creates complications that I think could be mitigated. It's not that the BlackBerry Hub concept doesn't work — I actually think it works quite well — it's that it might not be the most efficient way to deal with a constant barrage of alerts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb