Razr M or Lumia 822 - Help! Is Google Now worth it?

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Switching to Verizon from Tmo where I am currently using an HTC One S. The One S could possibly be my favorite hardware in some time, I love the thinness and the MAO coating. That said I am switching to Verizon and looking at either the Razr M or Lumia 822, both which are free on contract. I have also played with the idea of paying the 99 for the Razr HD but I think 4.3" screens are my sweet spot.

So anyone who has used both please chime in. The main feature making with Android is Google Now but I don't know how useful it will be since I only use Google Calendar and Talk, I don;t use Gmail anymore or Google +. I used a Lumia 710 for about 9 mo on Tmo and I loved most of it. Here are my Pro's and Con's

Razr M Pros
-Hardware
-Google Now
-Possible faster updates than HTC or Samsung Android phones
-Some apps better than WP8 alternative (FB, Google Talk)

Razr M Cons
-Typical Android Lag/reboots/freezing
-I use Live Mail and stock mail is bad
-Possibly no updates based on manufacturer whim

Lumia 822 Pros
-Stable system
-Better camera
-Nokia Music
-Guaranteed 18 mo of updates
-Wireless charging
-Sensitive touch screen

Lumia 822 Cons
-Hardware
-Some apps not as good as Android equivilent (don't care about having every app available)
-Some weird software uses (like the search button that only directs to Bing)

It's a short list but please add to it. I will probably setup my new plan Sunday and I'm having a hard time deciding. There is just something about WP that is drawing me back to it even though I have had a relatively lag and reboot free 4 months with my One S.

Thanks, Nick

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Both of them are good phones but I would choose the Lumia over Razr due to the camera, navigation (can store maps) and Nokia's commitment to the windows platform. Razr M probably won't get upgraded from what it is right now. Just my two cents.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
That is definitely a concern of mine and part of the reason I am considering switching again. I have only had the One S for 4 months and still stuck on ICS...no JB in sight.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
There really are pros and cons for both and it should come down to which of those two can deliver the things you value most. I like android but I guess I just got tired of always having to tweak it. You never know about apps. You get force closes, occasional lags and everything else. It has phenominal customization though. Still, Windows Phones are smoother, more stable and has a great camera (for a phone). I also just like live tiles better right now. Fresh and innovative. Oh and one other thing, you can pretty much be assured that when an update comes out, you are not left wondering about whether you'll get it, at least no where near like you are with Android. That's also the one good thing about iPhones too although I personally don't like them (to boring).

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
So, thank you all for all the opinions. I am a day into my 14 day "trial" and went with...the Lumia. Still keep going back and forth about this and of all things it's mainly just the form factor of the phone itself. Even kicking around the idea of the RAZR HD. Watching my GF have fits with her Droid Charge makes me feel better about being back on WP, although, it is a Droid Charge, lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers