buy 820//8X or wait for Lumia 720

virtual_martin

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Coming from iPhone 4s and wanna switch to WP8. But I'm not sure what to do.
Lumia 720 will come out next month. Form factor seems perfect for me. Specs read not so good. Especially concerned about 512MB RAM and the low display resolution.
8x has a good form factor and specs are ok. But it's a HTC and not Nokia (committed to WP & good support)
820 has better specs but it's a little bit too chubby for me.

Will I run into any restrictions with 512MB RAM in the future with WP9 or Blue? I don't play games at all.
I keep my phones usually 2+ years

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm there are tales of woe from both 820 and 8X users but also a lot of happy campers for both phones.

All I can suggest is going to your local store and play with what's on offer.

The 512 RAM could well be an issue further down the line but I cant see there being too much of an issue with the upgrades to the OS have got a feeling it will be more of a problem with the apps as they get more resource hungry.

Personally when I chose the 8X I had about 20 minutes of playing with it a nokia 820 and a GS3 (was thinking of waiting for the Ativ S). The 8X just felt more of a premium handset compared to the other two. The front facing camera has been a great bonus for Skype chats with my daughter the beats audio does wonders when it comes to music and the screen resolution is stunning. The rear camera is no lumia 920 but it does to a pretty decent job for quick snaps.

Im sure there are others who will extol the virtues of the 820 but the best advice is to just go with what you want

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I think better to wait for 720. That looks like an amazing phone... much bigger battery with SD card. I would wait for it just so that you can feel it before you decide whether 820 or 720 is the one for you.. 8X.. well better to avoid. You don't have any advantages with 8X over nokia phones, my opinion.

peter.mitri

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same dilemma! I currently have a Lumia 800 and I want to upgrade to a WP8.
The 820 is available here (in Lebanon) for 335$, which would be even cheaper than the 720 when it's launched. It also has 4G, a better CPU, extra RAM, and it's available right now.
But the 720 has a better form factor, an SD card slot, a better camera and a better battery!

What do you guys think? Should I get the 820 or wait for the 720?

Last edited:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same dilemma! I currently have a Lumia 800 and I want to upgrade to a WP8.
The 820 is available here (in Lebanon) for 335$, which would be even cheaper than the 720 when it's launched. It also has 4G, a better CPU, extra RAM, and it's available right now.
But the 720 has a better form factor, an SD card slot, a better camera and a better battery!

What do you guys think? Should I get the 820 or wait for the 720?

820 has removable battery and microSD card slot. So you should be fine with the 820.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss