L 920 or iPhone 4s?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Trying to decide between the Lumia 920 and iphone 4s. Planning to buy off-contract.
Your input is appreciated.

Would be helpful to know a bit more about your situation. So far you've said:
  • Call quality is important
  • Will use for photos and videos of the kids
  • Apps not especially important
  • Undecided about LTE because web surfing is not critical
  • Maybe concerned about build quality (referencing forum complaints about L920)

Surprisingly, that is not much to go on; but based on the above, I expect you'd be very happy with the L920. I've had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and frequently use my wife's iPhone 5; now I have a Lumia 920. I've had no hardware issues with the Lumia, and call quality on AT&T seems identical to iPhone. Battery life doesn't seem as good as the iPhone 5 (nor as good as the 4 when it was new, though lately the 4 has had sub-par battery performance).

I prefer not only the photo/video experience but also the core phone/mail/messaging experience on the Lumia 920 (camera controls and the screen itself are huge pluses). One drawback to the video is the inability to quickly trim/edit videos on the phone and easily share them. WP8 lacks this capability so you'll need to offload videos to a computer for editing and sharing.

Assuming there are no other concerns about ecosystem or platform compatibility, I'd say go with the Lumia 920.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Fumetsu, the Nexus 4 has one of the worst cameras in existence. I can't fathom the blindness that would motivate anybody to post this- oh, you post from one. Interesting. In a post asking about the L920 versus the 4S.

The 4S is a great device in a lot of ways, but unless apps don't matter to you, well, what does? Comparing my shots (and no, not low light) on my 920 to those I've taken on my 5th gen iPod Touch (which has the 4S camera) it is frankly not a contest- the 920 destroys it, especially for video where the lack of OIS makes video shot with the iPod hard to watch. LTE and screen size can't be brushed aside- the fact is that in 2013, the 4S screen size is painfully small. Typing on the iPhone/iPod touch (yes even the 4" screens) has always been a nightmare IMHO and the WP has an outstanding on screen keyboard; with the 4.5" 920 screen it's the best smartphone typing experience I've had short of my BB 9900.

Really, if you care about camera but you don't care about apps, how is this even a discussion? 920 ALL. THE. WAY.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Would be helpful to know a bit more about your situation. So far you've said:
  • Call quality is important
  • Will use for photos and videos of the kids
  • Apps not especially important
  • Undecided about LTE because web surfing is not critical
  • Maybe concerned about build quality (referencing forum complaints about L920)

Surprisingly, that is not much to go on; but based on the above, I expect you'd be very happy with the L920. I've had the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and frequently use my wife's iPhone 5; now I have a Lumia 920. I've had no hardware issues with the Lumia, and call quality on AT&T seems identical to iPhone. Battery life doesn't seem as good as the iPhone 5 (nor as good as the 4 when it was new, though lately the 4 has had sub-par battery performance).

I prefer not only the photo/video experience but also the core phone/mail/messaging experience on the Lumia 920 (camera controls and the screen itself are huge pluses). One drawback to the video is the inability to quickly trim/edit videos on the phone and easily share them. WP8 lacks this capability so you'll need to offload videos to a computer for editing and sharing.

Assuming there are no other concerns about ecosystem or platform compatibility, I'd say go with the Lumia 920.

Thanks. I am currently on Windows Phone (Samsung Focus) and like the ecosystem (am typing this on my Surface RT). I was mostly worried about build quality and want a phone that can produce acceptable pictures/videos for spontaneous situations (if I know I want good pictures, I bring my Sony Cybershoot with me). It sounds like the 920 has not had many hardware issues for some, so I think I'm going to go for the L920 since I'll probably keep it longer.

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps still has a lot more current and accurate data for more locations. If you're in an area that Nokia has covered well, then Here does a great job. If you're in an area like mine, Here still doesn't have updated points of interest (restaurants that closed years ago still show as current, stores that have been here for two years don't come up in search), and isn't on top of new routes and construction (there's an underpass near my house that's been there for a year that has shown on Google Maps for the last 6-7 months, but still isn't on Here). Here also does some strange things like if it can't find a specific address, it will route you to the dead center of the road, even if that road is 20 miles long, which is stressful when driving. It has come a long way since launch (it used to tell you to get on and off a freeway 25 times during the same stretch of road), and it really feels like Nokia is putting a lot of effort into making it better every day, but it's still not as mature or trustworthy as Google Maps. Luckily I don't drive much, and most of the time I'm not going to new places, so it's not that big of a deal, but if you do, don't give up your Garmin/Tom Tom quite yet ;)

Can I still use Bing Maps on an L920 if Nokia Maps doesn't have great coverage in the area? I am guessing that it covers my area fairly well (in Seattle area) since it's a big city. I get lost very easily, and Bing Maps has helped me most of the time. I have a Garmin in my car, just in case though:)

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can I still use Bing Maps on an L920 if Nokia Maps doesn't have great coverage in the area? I am guessing that it covers my area fairly well (in Seattle area) since it's a big city. I get lost very easily, and Bing Maps has helped me most of the time. I have a Garmin in my car, just in case though:)

Yes: Bring back native Maps on Nokia Windows Phones | Windows Phone Central

I'm not sure how Bing compares to Nokia, but both should do pretty well in Seattle as long as you're not way out in the sticks. It's not that Nokia's maps are bad by any stretch, it's just that I got used to how good and up-to-date and accurate Google's information was on my Android phone (prior to the iPhone), so it was hard to go back to something not quite as good, even if it is good enough for my purposes :)

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Back in October/November when i still had my iPhone 4s i was becoming very interested in what Nokia 920 could bring. Since im too used to the iPhone and it has always worked perfectly for me i decided to buy the iPhone 5, but kept an eye on Nokia and wp8.

I'm a happy apple user BUT right now if i didn't have the iPhone 5 and had to choose between the 920 or the 4s i would give Nokia a try. I know i would have to sacrifice somethings and would probably have to get an iPod touch for apps i regularly need and use on the iPhone. But i would probably trade that for a better camera, i love the idea to take good pictures with low light. I also like the Me and People Hub and that metro look.

How the situation sounds, i would recommend the 920 for the OP, mainly because apps are not that important to him. Me, personally have tried other phones including android and played a little with wp8 devices and its the little things that work on the iphone that i would miss the most. For example that universal volume control would bug me a lot .

Dan Bumbarger

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Quick pictures and video is one area where I think the 920 beats an iphone hands down. A dedicated 2-step camera button is simply awesome for this. The camera and image stabilization of the 920 will beat the iphone 4s in most circumstances. And the larger screen display is nicer for framing images as well as looking at your cute kids after the fact. I'm really surprised how often I use mine, and I never liked cell phone cameras before.

MastrMeatWad

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Like other responses (not including fumetsu's agenda) it sounds like call quality and camera are most important? Based on those two things it appears the L920 would be the choice. There are a ton of videos comparing build and the L920 is superior. You mention owning a Surface and there are some additional benefits to having a WP8 device a keeping the same OS ecosystem.

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is an easy decision. Since you only have a few apps, unless WP doesn't have a particular app you really need, the L920 blows the iPhone 4/S out the water feature wise. And based on your comments windows phone integrates so many services that its a much more natural experience. I have iPhones, android phones and windows phones. The iPhone is a great device for most people, but it's my belief that windows phone is better implementation of how a smart phone should work. Its very simple and effective at helping you do simple task quickly and easily without to much jumping in and out of applications. And its only getting better with each update.

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Is this really a serious thread or a forum to beat up ios?! Come on. There are supposed ios users and fan boys commenting on wpcentral thread?! Amusing

Par_T

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for your input. Call quality and camera were my two top priorities for a phone, and it looks like L920 is the way to go.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
How are you just dragging music into your 920 folder? I'm using Vista and it will not allow it. Any suggestions? Microsoft says I need to use win media player, but that is a nightmare and it wants to sync my whole music library with the phone. Thanks

Good point about the drag and drop over IOS and ITunes; it could be worth it not having to deal with ITunes.

Ive had lumia920 and iphone4, the iphone 4 is easier to use if playing music is a big thing for you cos the system remembers what you were watching/playing for each app...lumia seems to only remember 1 thing at a time; the lumia does allow you to just drag music folders onto the phone though and appears to play divx without needing it recoded for the phone.
I've had no hardware issues.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5 right now and I am selling it. I found a buyer at a good price. The good thing with the iPhone is that it's everywhere and depreciates slowly. The 920 became available last month in our country and I have the 5 for about 2 months already. Now I'm selling it and buying the 920 at absolutely no cost!

If I choose the 920 for the 5, then imo the 920 is definitely better than the 4s. My dad has a 4s, it's okay but you just can't resist the iconic design of the Lumia 920. It's non conventional plus it has killer features. Not only will you be having the superior phone but you will be helping Nokia in marketing the Lumia. Either way is great but the 920 is just something worth getting.

I want to adapt Windows Phone right now because it is gaining attention and growing by the day. My friends love their iPhones and Androids but then I showed them the Windows Phone commercial and left them in awe. It's an amazing piece of device. We need to help Nokia on this! It has so much potential to compete.

No hate for HTC but Nokia has the passion so if you finally decide to get a Windows Phone, just get the 920. A little more expensive but worth every penny

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb