05-24-2013 02:06 PM
72 123
tools
    weird, why would anyone be deciding between a iphone 5 and L810? shouldn't it be deciding Iphone 5 and L920? weird.. really weird to see this thread
    03-31-2013 03:44 PM
    weird, why would anyone be deciding between a iphone 5 and L810? shouldn't it be deciding Iphone 5 and L920? weird.. really weird to see this thread
    I am deciding between the iPhone 5 and the 810 because the L920 is not available on T-mobile.

Edit: Of all T-mobiles phones these two are my favorite. I like Android but I get frustrated with lack of updates. If the L920 was on T-mobile I would be all over it. :-D
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-31-2013 04:01 PM
    At that moment: iPhone 5. Probably the technical specs of the Lumia might be better. BUT if the OS isn't good enough to use them properly :?. Buy an iPhone; more apps, less problems, more organization. I had iPhone 4, and now I have HTC 8S (Windows Phone). No room for comparison, to be safe and sure: buy an iPhone (even an 4S will do).
    03-31-2013 04:05 PM
    No. Not at all. Dont know what you put WP and ios on in this comparison, but this is plain dead wrong.
    Uhm... Skinning Android to look similar to other systems that work more fluently is putting makeup on a pig.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-31-2013 04:08 PM
    This isn't a weird thread because not everyone wants to pay AT&T's high rates or is interested (or has the upfront cash) to buy an unlocked 920.

OP, love your handle. Haven't had any gungo peas and rice or gungo peas soup in a long time...

Anyways, it depends on how you use your phone. iPhone 5 has a ton of apps, a nice cam. The 810 has wireless charging, a better than advertised camera, good maps, better music player and all the trappings of WP8. Play with both and decide. Both are equally fast in the hardware department, so you don't lose either way.

How invested are you in WP - did you buy many apps, how do you enjoy using the WP7 features?
    gungopeas likes this.
    03-31-2013 04:12 PM
    Well since you own a WP device I'd say go for iPhone5, compared to the 810 its a better phone, just coz you like WP doesn't mean you can't try other OS
    I'm also in tmobile so I've never had the chance to experience an iOS (though all my friends have a iPhone, not the same as actually owning one) but then again I dont care for anything Apple does
    03-31-2013 04:39 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Presently I am using the lumia 710. Its a decent phone. You know, everyone has an iPhone and you here so much about it and now finally it comes to Tmobile. I am thinking this is my chance to finally own one. But I love windows phone OS. I have looked at the 8x but i have read that the 810 has better battery.

The lumia 810 is $360 while iPhone is $569.
    Maybe i will go with the 810. But i would love to own an iPhone because of all the hype surrounding it. Lol, am I nuts?
    coz the media is PRO APPLE.... why would u pick something that is boring like everyone else?

few days ago i went out with a group of friends, like around 10 people... All have iphone 4S or 5 and i was the only one with a Lumia 920 :')
    putting all those iDevices togheter it was plain and boring sight...

i think u should go for the Cyan or Yellow Lumia 720! YES 720! :D imo its better thn 820
    03-31-2013 04:46 PM
    Of course, app spacing and homescreen layout on both ios and wp CAN be replicated on Android, if thats a thing.
    That's the thing about Android... you can do anything on it, but at the expense of your time and sanity. You end up wasting so much time on forums trying to fix all the bugs and conflicts you're causing by trying to make it into something that it's not that you never really get around to enjoying the experience of the phone. That's why I ditched it and moved to wp- it never feels quite right and always is a work in progress. That and I lost big on Android Update Roulette :(
    03-31-2013 04:47 PM
    Or *shocker* not everyone wants a 920.
    03-31-2013 04:59 PM
    Uhm... Skinning Android to look similar to other systems that work more fluently is putting makeup on a pig.
    Android is fluent on my old s3, so... I just disagree with the analogy.

Cameradork: some times. I had that with my sgs2. Not with my sgs3, as i knew what i was doing from experience. But I get your point. Some times the flexibility is great, other times you just want something simple that looks good with no effort, and does the job.
    Hence why i generally go from complicated to simple to complicated, etcetera. N900 to N8 to SGS2 to Lumia 800 to sgs3 to lumia 920 to sgs4... I get that.
    cameradork likes this.
    03-31-2013 05:08 PM
    IPhone future proof for three years??...lol. IPhone 5 with its skinny screen was behind the curve a year ago...it could have 700 PPI, would make no difference.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    You really have no idea what future proof means, do you? It means it will keep on getting all the latest games and OS updates for the next few years. Quite unlike the Lumia 900 that was obsolete after 6 months.
    StreetNerd and FinancialP like this.
    03-31-2013 05:13 PM
    and i was the only one with a Lumia 920 :')
    LOL some people would call that a bad thing :p
    03-31-2013 05:15 PM
    LOL some people would call that a bad thing :p
    i ask them why u got an i5? some say dont know, coz every1 has it.... and they are paying like 70 euros a month on a 2 year contract... just to be part of the crowd...
    me on the other hand.... L920 is perfect for me... all i need are the core apps and how much do i pay?.... i pay 25 euros on a 2 year contract
    03-31-2013 05:37 PM
    Having come from an iPhone 4, which I did personally love, I would say go with the Lumia 810. I love that phone even more than iPhone. Yes, the iPhone 5 has more to offer than the 4 that I have, but WP8 has even more to offer and is a refreshing platform. You won't be disappointed.
    03-31-2013 06:25 PM
    Lumia 810. Be different. Like Apple used to be.
    gungopeas likes this.
    03-31-2013 08:05 PM
    Depends on what you want. The iPhone 5 is a flagship device, better specs, camera, almost everything.
    Actually, I wouldn't really say that the iPhone 5 is a flagship device, since Apple doesn't intend to create low, mid, or high-tier smartphones for their line, so the iPhone 5 is in certain terms just a smartphone. Sure, cupertino's entry for the mobile market is a great device adored by many users, but it's not necessarily a flagship device as some would call it.
    03-31-2013 08:09 PM
    Actually, I wouldn't really say that the iPhone 5 is a flagship device.
    This is true...since Apple currently releases one phone annually, the flagship part about the device is that version of iOS the hardware is paired with.
    03-31-2013 11:16 PM
    i ask them why u got an i5? some say dont know, coz every1 has it.... and they are paying like 70 euros a month on a 2 year contract... just to be part of the crowd...
    me on the other hand.... L920 is perfect for me... all i need are the core apps and how much do i pay?.... i pay 25 euros on a 2 year contract
    'Just to be part of the crowd' can mean they want to use the apps their friends are using. Something you will feel left out of at one point or another
    Last edited by ammarmalik2011; 04-01-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    RJ G likes this.
    04-01-2013 01:42 AM
    The best part of this whole situation is, like a few other posters I've seen recently, the OP is on T-Mobile...so the contract itself isn't an issue. That, and the T-Mobile iPhones are cheaper when you buy it upfront than in the Apple store gives him an advantage. If this was another carrier, I'd say get the iPhone (except for AT&T, where you go 920).

Since there are so many sheep, err iPhone lovers, OP either try it for 2 weeks and then return, buy it upfront, unlock it and then/trade sell it for a 810 + purity in-ear or cans + charge plate + charging shell...
    copmcotcs likes this.
    04-01-2013 10:33 AM
    As someone suggested, trying the 810 is the best option. Unless you have an app that is not on WP8, and are not too keen with taking photos, I would say to go for the 810. The OS is stable, fluid, and is growing.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-01-2013 05:24 PM
    I am deciding between the iPhone 5 and the 810 because the L920 is not available on T-mobile.

Edit: Of all T-mobiles phones these two are my favorite. I like Android but I get frustrated with lack of updates. If the L920 was on T-mobile I would be all over it. :-D
    I know the original question was Lumia 810 vs iPhone 5, but if you like Android, how about the Nexus 4? Relatively low price for an unlocked device. Updates are at least as frequent and punctual as iOS and WP. And when I compare mine to the Lumia 920 and the iPhone 5, it is every bit as fast & smooth.

But to give an opinion concerning WP vs iPhone, I recently went from a Lumia 920 to an iPhone 5. I carry a Nexus 4 as my primary phone, and the 920, and now the iPhone 5, are my secondary phone for trial purposes. I had the opportunity to buy a 920 outright at a very good price. I decided to buy it and try it out. My experience with it was that the OS is still quite immature, lacking a lot of functionality that has been in iOS & Android for a long time. Recently I had another opportunity to trade the 920 for an iPhone 5, and I went for it. The main reason was because I would come out ahead in resale value, but I also wanted to try out the iOS flagship device. My first loyalty is to Android and I don't see that changing anytime soon, but if I had to choose between Lumia 920 or iPhone 5 as my only device, I would choose the iPhone without hesitation. Nothing wrong with the Nokia hardware, but WP8 is just too limited for me at this point.

However, I notice WP's app shortage quickly since I've used an Android for the past 2 years. If you've never used Android or iPhone previously and aren't used to the never-ending supply of apps, this might not be an issue for you.

My 2... (and yes, I know, that's about how much it's worth )
    gungopeas likes this.
    04-01-2013 08:04 PM
    Maybe it is just me but whenever anyone compares WP8 to Android and iOS can calls WP8 immature, while they may be technically correct, it is an inaccurate comparison to compare two OS that have been around for 5+ years to one that has been barely 2.5 years.

Kinda like someone climbing into an Amish buggy and asking the driver where's the AC, OnStar button, heated seats and GPS. No, we haven't added THAT stuff yet.

WP8 is barely 5 months old. With such a major revision to the platform, unless MSFT was co developing every app with every develop simultaneously, of course there will be less apps on WP8 at the moment. Guess people forgot how barebones the Android Market was, and how the better core apps were on Cydia than in the App store. Where was the clamor for Instragam and Temple Run back then?

So OP, my history lesson/rant aside, play with both devices. Their hardware is similar enough...your choice is between a ton of apps, good resale value and a great vehicle for content that keeps its hands in your wallet...OR a cheaper, well supported device with expandable storage, wireless charging and a new take on how your phone can help you get things done socially.

You cannot lose either way. We hope you pick the 810, but certainly understand if you didn't.
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 04-01-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-01-2013 10:10 PM
    Can you wait for a new Nokia phone soon? I'm sure they will get at least one high end Lumia from now till the end of the year.

And the 8xx series is the same as the 920, just a smaller and lower resolution screen and not as good camera in terms of hardware.
    04-01-2013 10:22 PM
    I appreciate all responses. Thanks for the feedback for those who have used both of these phones.
    04-01-2013 11:45 PM
    Can you wait for a new Nokia phone soon? I'm sure they will get at least one high end Lumia from now till the end of the year.
    I hope they get a nice high end phone. They should have one for each platform.
    04-01-2013 11:48 PM
72 123