05-24-2013 03:06 PM
72 123
tools
    Get the iPhone 5 and put paragon or any of the other Windows phone themes on it and call it a day. The themes are exact replicas of Windows Phone tiles and all, only difference is you have apps.

However if you don't mind waiting a couple months, wait it out and see what Nokia has planned.
    04-02-2013 01:08 AM
    Get the iPhone 5 and put paragon or any of the other Windows phone themes on it and call it a day. The themes are exact replicas of Windows Phone tiles and all, only difference is you have apps.

However if you don't mind waiting a couple months, wait it out and see what Nokia has planned.
    Hll no.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-02-2013 01:48 PM
    or get an Android phone and put an iOS homescreen replacement on it - exact same thing as an iPhone, only cheaper and more durable.
    Not at all. Too much work on Android, flash this flash that. On iOS it's a simple download and install, done all from one location Cydia.
    04-02-2013 09:01 PM
    Dude, seriously, if you are switching to AT&T, get the Nokia Lumia 920. If you are staying on T-Mobile, sadly, I suggest an Android phone (S4 or HTC One), as there isn't a good selection of WP's, and you said you didn't want the 8X. If you can wait, that would be good.

But dude, switch to AT&T and get the 920. Or wait a month and get the 928.
    04-02-2013 09:15 PM

or get an Android phone and put an iOS homescreen replacement on it - exact same thing as an iPhone, only cheaper and more durable.
    04-02-2013 09:59 PM
    Maybe it is just me but whenever anyone compares WP8 to Android and iOS can calls WP8 immature, while they may be technically correct, it is an inaccurate comparison to compare two OS that have been around for 5+ years to one that has been barely 2.5 years.

Kinda like someone climbing into an Amish buggy and asking the driver where's the AC, OnStar button, heated seats and GPS. No, we haven't added THAT stuff yet.

WP8 is barely 5 months old. With such a major revision to the platform, unless MSFT was co developing every app with every develop simultaneously, of course there will be less apps on WP8 at the moment. Guess people forgot how barebones the Android Market was, and how the better core apps were on Cydia than in the App store. Where was the clamor for Instragam and Temple Run back then?
    Yes you are absolutely correct. WP does have a good reason for being not being as mature as iOS & Android. But that does not change the fact that it IS rather immature by comparison. This is important for people to know. The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine and the reasons behind it.

FWIW, in the last week I've carried a Nexus 4, a Lumia 920, and an iPhone 5. You could say I'm OS agnostic, although I lean towards Android.
    04-03-2013 08:04 AM
    Yes you are absolutely correct. WP does have a good reason for being not being as mature as iOS & Android. But that does not change the fact that it IS rather immature by comparison. This is important for people to know. The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine and the reasons behind it.
    My goal isn't to dismiss your comment, but you CLEARLY missed the part where the OP said he owns/has used a Lumia 710 (post #6 on page #1 of the thread). If he had never owned a WP device before, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you...but the OP knows what he's getting into with WP, or else he wouldn't have put it on his short list.

Many of the realists who use WP will be honest to newcomers and say what its strengths and shortcomings are. I still believe that at this point in their lifecycles, WP8 is ahead of iOS 3 and Android Eclair in some regards.
    04-03-2013 12:22 PM
    My goal isn't to dismiss your comment, but you CLEARLY missed the part where the OP said he owns/has used a Lumia 710 (post #6 on page #1 of the thread). If he had never owned a WP device before, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you...but the OP knows what he's getting into with WP, or else he wouldn't have put it on his short list.
    Yes you are correct; I stand corrected. I didn't actually miss the part where he mentioned having a Lumia 710, so there was no reason for me to mention what I did.

I still believe that at this point in their lifecycles, WP8 is ahead of iOS 3 and Android Eclair in some regards.
    True, but that was 3+ years ago. This is 2013, not 2009/2010. The difference is a lifetime in the mobile tech world. Microsoft was actually in the mobile OS business before Android & iOS with Windows Mobile.
    04-03-2013 10:24 PM
    True, but that was 3+ years ago. This is 2013, not 2009/2010. The difference is a lifetime in the mobile tech world. Microsoft was actually in the mobile OS business before Android & iOS with Windows Mobile.
    I agree with your perspective. But, things move slow at MSFT. Slower than we all like. Remember, they blew up WM6.5 to come up with WP7, then blew up the kernel from WP7 to get the WP8 look. Again, as much as we talk about what's missing, I'm curious as to see how much polished an OS people could come up with over the past 3 years bases on the same timeframe MSFT had.

Personally, what I'd love to see now that MSFT had laid out the kernel is to more,frequent updates adding those missing features, perhaps in some groups of three per update...instead of the annual update with a slew of features. Perhaps that's the faster way to mature the platform...but I guess the engineers are hard at work.
    tgp likes this.
    04-04-2013 12:33 AM
    Iphone 5 my friend, people learn to love the underdog (wp8) and hate on it once it becomes popular like apple did a while ago. Sure wp8 is new right now, different too, that is sure refreshing and good for competition but in MY opinion it could grow old very fast. I love the option of having wallpapers behind my apps in ios, wp8 cant do that rightnow. I like having a notification center, more app selection and also more mature apps with less problems as they keep been updated constantly. Facetime and Skype, yes i use both! Also imessage, living in a country where we dont have unlimited texts plans this comes very useful. Different volume settings for alarm, ringer, music come on! that is something that should be a basic function that you dont find on windows phones rigthnow. Its the little things that just work on the iphone that i come to appreciate.

I like nokia, i find wp8 interesting, but still not there for me. But hey, both are great devices in the end you would like what you choose.
    04-06-2013 06:38 AM
    If youre spending that amount of money, why not get the s4?
    04-07-2013 04:56 PM
    Get an HTC HD2 and dual boot Android with an ios launcher and Windows phone 7.8 problem solved
    04-07-2013 05:04 PM
    Get an HTC HD2 and dual boot Android with an ios launcher and Windows phone 7.8 problem solved
    Sounds like a good solution. Haha
    04-08-2013 12:59 AM
    If youre spending that amount of money, why not get the s4?
    I am tired of android. Had an s2 and gave it to my wife. Android not as smooth as windows UI or IOS.
    04-08-2013 01:07 AM
    I am tired of android. Had an s2 and gave it to my wife. Android not as smooth as windows UI or IOS.
    I am current Lumia 920 user, but I have an iPhone 4S and long time Android user since Android 1.5 to Android 4.2.2. True that the Galaxy S2 isn't smooth and all Android (5) phones I have had are buggy. iPhone 5 or WP8 is the way to go if you want smooth and more reliable OS than Android.
    04-08-2013 01:45 AM
    I have an iPhone 5 and... nothing I can really complain about in terms of stability, bugs, telephony, messaging.. the essentials are solid. Its a refined product from a user experience perspective.

The casing is ****ty tho.. looks good, but their anodizing process sucks, it chips aways.. so you need a case. The good thing about that is that the phone is already very thin and light, so a case doesn't add all that much.. it actually helps ergonomically.
    04-08-2013 02:25 AM
    Iunno, havent seen a release version of sgs4 in action, so cant speak for the smoothness of that android version on that particular phone, but my sgs3 was fairly smooth. No real difference from the 920, really, in that regard. Nor did it have any bugs.
    But yeah if you're tired of it, that's fair.
    Personally I found the s3 to be about en par with the 920 for my use, but with better battery and of course more apps and small pluses like locking the video screen, etc. So ill be going from 920 to s4.
    gungopeas likes this.
    04-08-2013 03:08 AM
    I went ahead and get the iPhone 5. I like it very much so far. Please don't flame on me. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    04-14-2013 07:51 PM
    I went ahead and get the iPhone 5. I like it very much so far. Please don't flame on me. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I think since T-Mobile has their awesome plan, you can upgrade whenever you want. So when an amazing windows phone comes, you can get it.
    04-14-2013 07:55 PM
    I think since T-Mobile has their awesome plan, you can upgrade whenever you want. So when an amazing windows phone comes, you can get it.
    Yes that's a great idea
    04-14-2013 11:03 PM
    Yes that's a great idea
    That is one reason I want to switch to T-Mobile.
    04-14-2013 11:05 PM
    trying to be honest here. get an iPhone 5 and wait until Microsoft cleans up its messes
    05-24-2013 03:06 PM
72 123