IPhone 5 or Lumia 810?

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what you want. The iPhone 5 is a flagship device, better specs, camera, almost everything.

Actually, I wouldn't really say that the iPhone 5 is a flagship device, since Apple doesn't intend to create low, mid, or high-tier smartphones for their line, so the iPhone 5 is in certain terms just a smartphone. Sure, cupertino's entry for the mobile market is a great device adored by many users, but it's not necessarily a flagship device as some would call it.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
i ask them why u got an i5? some say dont know, coz every1 has it.... and they are paying like 70 euros a month on a 2 year contract... just to be part of the crowd...
me on the other hand.... L920 is perfect for me... all i need are the core apps and how much do i pay?.... i pay 25 euros on a 2 year contract
'Just to be part of the crowd' can mean they want to use the apps their friends are using. Something you will feel left out of at one point or another :winktongue:

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The best part of this whole situation is, like a few other posters I've seen recently, the OP is on T-Mobile...so the contract itself isn't an issue. That, and the T-Mobile iPhones are cheaper when you buy it upfront than in the Apple store gives him an advantage. If this was another carrier, I'd say get the iPhone (except for AT&T, where you go 920).

Since there are so many sheep, err iPhone lovers, OP either try it for 2 weeks and then return, buy it upfront, unlock it and then/trade sell it for a 810 + purity in-ear or cans + charge plate + charging shell...

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
As someone suggested, trying the 810 is the best option. Unless you have an app that is not on WP8, and are not too keen with taking photos, I would say to go for the 810. The OS is stable, fluid, and is growing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am deciding between the iPhone 5 and the 810 because the L920 is not available on T-mobile.

Edit: Of all T-mobiles phones these two are my favorite. I like Android but I get frustrated with lack of updates. If the L920 was on T-mobile I would be all over it. :-D

I know the original question was Lumia 810 vs iPhone 5, but if you like Android, how about the Nexus 4? Relatively low price for an unlocked device. Updates are at least as frequent and punctual as iOS and WP. And when I compare mine to the Lumia 920 and the iPhone 5, it is every bit as fast & smooth.

But to give an opinion concerning WP vs iPhone, I recently went from a Lumia 920 to an iPhone 5. I carry a Nexus 4 as my primary phone, and the 920, and now the iPhone 5, are my secondary phone for trial purposes. I had the opportunity to buy a 920 outright at a very good price. I decided to buy it and try it out. My experience with it was that the OS is still quite immature, lacking a lot of functionality that has been in iOS & Android for a long time. Recently I had another opportunity to trade the 920 for an iPhone 5, and I went for it. The main reason was because I would come out ahead in resale value, but I also wanted to try out the iOS flagship device. My first loyalty is to Android and I don't see that changing anytime soon, but if I had to choose between Lumia 920 or iPhone 5 as my only device, I would choose the iPhone without hesitation. Nothing wrong with the Nokia hardware, but WP8 is just too limited for me at this point.

However, I notice WP's app shortage quickly since I've used an Android for the past 2 years. If you've never used Android or iPhone previously and aren't used to the never-ending supply of apps, this might not be an issue for you.

My 2?... (and yes, I know, that's about how much it's worth :wink:)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is just me but whenever anyone compares WP8 to Android and iOS can calls WP8 immature, while they may be technically correct, it is an inaccurate comparison to compare two OS that have been around for 5+ years to one that has been barely 2.5 years.

Kinda like someone climbing into an Amish buggy and asking the driver where's the AC, OnStar button, heated seats and GPS. No, we haven't added THAT stuff yet.

WP8 is barely 5 months old. With such a major revision to the platform, unless MSFT was co developing every app with every develop simultaneously, of course there will be less apps on WP8 at the moment. Guess people forgot how barebones the Android Market was, and how the better core apps were on Cydia than in the App store. Where was the clamor for Instragam and Temple Run back then?

So OP, my history lesson/rant aside, play with both devices. Their hardware is similar enough...your choice is between a ton of apps, good resale value and a great vehicle for content that keeps its hands in your wallet...OR a cheaper, well supported device with expandable storage, wireless charging and a new take on how your phone can help you get things done socially.

You cannot lose either way. We hope you pick the 810, but certainly understand if you didn't.

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Can you wait for a new Nokia phone soon? I'm sure they will get at least one high end Lumia from now till the end of the year.

And the 8xx series is the same as the 920, just a smaller and lower resolution screen and not as good camera in terms of hardware.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Get the iPhone 5 and put paragon or any of the other Windows phone themes on it and call it a day. The themes are exact replicas of Windows Phone tiles and all, only difference is you have apps.

However if you don't mind waiting a couple months, wait it out and see what Nokia has planned.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Get the iPhone 5 and put paragon or any of the other Windows phone themes on it and call it a day. The themes are exact replicas of Windows Phone tiles and all, only difference is you have apps.

However if you don't mind waiting a couple months, wait it out and see what Nokia has planned.

H?ll no.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
or get an Android phone and put an iOS homescreen replacement on it - exact same thing as an iPhone, only cheaper and more durable.

Not at all. Too much work on Android, flash this flash that. On iOS it's a simple download and install, done all from one location Cydia.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Dude, seriously, if you are switching to AT&T, get the Nokia Lumia 920. If you are staying on T-Mobile, sadly, I suggest an Android phone (S4 or HTC One), as there isn't a good selection of WP's, and you said you didn't want the 8X. If you can wait, that would be good.

But dude, switch to AT&T and get the 920. Or wait a month and get the 928.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

or get an Android phone and put an iOS homescreen replacement on it - exact same thing as an iPhone, only cheaper and more durable.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is just me but whenever anyone compares WP8 to Android and iOS can calls WP8 immature, while they may be technically correct, it is an inaccurate comparison to compare two OS that have been around for 5+ years to one that has been barely 2.5 years.

Kinda like someone climbing into an Amish buggy and asking the driver where's the AC, OnStar button, heated seats and GPS. No, we haven't added THAT stuff yet.

WP8 is barely 5 months old. With such a major revision to the platform, unless MSFT was co developing every app with every develop simultaneously, of course there will be less apps on WP8 at the moment. Guess people forgot how barebones the Android Market was, and how the better core apps were on Cydia than in the App store. Where was the clamor for Instragam and Temple Run back then?

Yes you are absolutely correct. WP does have a good reason for being not being as mature as iOS & Android. But that does not change the fact that it IS rather immature by comparison. This is important for people to know. The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine and the reasons behind it.

FWIW, in the last week I've carried a Nexus 4, a Lumia 920, and an iPhone 5. You could say I'm OS agnostic, although I lean towards Android.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes you are absolutely correct. WP does have a good reason for being not being as mature as iOS & Android. But that does not change the fact that it IS rather immature by comparison. This is important for people to know. The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine and the reasons behind it.

My goal isn't to dismiss your comment, but you CLEARLY missed the part where the OP said he owns/has used a Lumia 710 (post #6 on page #1 of the thread). If he had never owned a WP device before, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you...but the OP knows what he's getting into with WP, or else he wouldn't have put it on his short list.

Many of the realists who use WP will be honest to newcomers and say what its strengths and shortcomings are. I still believe that at this point in their lifecycles, WP8 is ahead of iOS 3 and Android Eclair in some regards.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My goal isn't to dismiss your comment, but you CLEARLY missed the part where the OP said he owns/has used a Lumia 710 (post #6 on page #1 of the thread). If he had never owned a WP device before, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you...but the OP knows what he's getting into with WP, or else he wouldn't have put it on his short list.

Yes you are correct; I stand corrected. I didn't actually miss the part where he mentioned having a Lumia 710, so there was no reason for me to mention what I did.

I still believe that at this point in their lifecycles, WP8 is ahead of iOS 3 and Android Eclair in some regards.

True, but that was 3+ years ago. This is 2013, not 2009/2010. The difference is a lifetime in the mobile tech world. Microsoft was actually in the mobile OS business before Android & iOS with Windows Mobile.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
True, but that was 3+ years ago. This is 2013, not 2009/2010. The difference is a lifetime in the mobile tech world. Microsoft was actually in the mobile OS business before Android & iOS with Windows Mobile.

I agree with your perspective. But, things move slow at MSFT. Slower than we all like. Remember, they blew up WM6.5 to come up with WP7, then blew up the kernel from WP7 to get the WP8 look. Again, as much as we talk about what's missing, I'm curious as to see how much polished an OS people could come up with over the past 3 years bases on the same timeframe MSFT had.

Personally, what I'd love to see now that MSFT had laid out the kernel is to more,frequent updates adding those missing features, perhaps in some groups of three per update...instead of the annual update with a slew of features. Perhaps that's the faster way to mature the platform...but I guess the engineers are hard at work.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Iphone 5 my friend, people learn to love the underdog (wp8) and hate on it once it becomes popular like apple did a while ago. Sure wp8 is new right now, different too, that is sure refreshing and good for competition but in MY opinion it could grow old very fast. I love the option of having wallpapers behind my apps in ios, wp8 cant do that rightnow. I like having a notification center, more app selection and also more mature apps with less problems as they keep been updated constantly. Facetime and Skype, yes i use both! Also imessage, living in a country where we dont have unlimited texts plans this comes very useful. Different volume settings for alarm, ringer, music come on! that is something that should be a basic function that you dont find on windows phones rigthnow. Its the little things that just work on the iphone that i come to appreciate.

I like nokia, i find wp8 interesting, but still not there for me. But hey, both are great devices in the end you would like what you choose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss