Windows Phone OEMs: Nokia vs HTC

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I wanted to start a discussion on this topic. When you buy a Windows Phone, which OEM between Nokia and HTC appeals to you the most?

For me, my first Windows Phone was an HTC Trophy. Rock solid device; never crashed/rebooted by itself, battery was great, but the device itself was a bit laggy (You can tell that the Trophy isn't The Gamer's Windows Phone by simply open the Xbox hub and watch your avatar). Still, I loved how it never crashed on me/froze on me/rebooted itself. I could seriously use that as a critical bragging point: "My Windows Phone never crashes!".

I still wanted to switch because after the 822 was announced, my Trophy suddenly felt obsolete... After I got my 822 I played around with it for a bit and I could definitely see all that Nokia love into the device. It was a blazing fast phone too. The only thing is that it freezes a bit from time to time (although still rarely). After having tried both phones, I couldn't say which one was obviously better. They both are awesome WPs, but they have their pros and cons.

So, which OEM do you like better? Nokia or HTC and why?

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Both are excellent, my son has the 920 on AT&T, I have the 8x on Verizon. I prefer the 8x screen and style. My son prefers the camera in the 920. All depends on what you like.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Foroplex

Amrut Mhatre

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
the thing is HTC released the 8X and 8s and they left, unlike Nokia where they are continuing their updates and upgrades,
from where i see,the future of MS depends on Nokia and so of Nokia depends on WP.... Both MS and Nokia knows it.

They way Nokia is trying to be the best and trying to compete with Androids and iOs, i dont see HTC and Samsung doing that.
In future i want to see the fight of these OEMs for WP's. Really disappointed after what HTC is doing to their phones after releasing them. as far as Samsung, its better i dont talk about it.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
(...) Still, I loved how it never crashed on me/froze on me/rebooted itself. I could seriously use that as a critical bragging point: "My Windows Phone never crashes!".

(...)

I am enjoying my HTC 7 Pro for the exact same reason! I had it running for 111 days without rebooting, any lags or problems at all! Why (only) 111 days? Because of an Update I just had to install :) I think I am going to test my phone once again during the next months... Let's see how long it will last without issues this time! An awesome device!

I really like HTC phones. Love the feel of them. My 7 Pro survived a few falls without any real damage (exept of some corner scratches), so I guess the bulid quality is not bad. Because of the quality, the solid and stabile software and the QWERTY keyboard I am not going to buy another phone for the next months/years (if my 7 Pro survives so long).

The thing is though: somehow I don't feel a "WP 8 Love" from HTC... Of course the 8X and 8S are awesome devices... but the software package Nokia is giving ist just badass! So I would say: If I was going to buy a new phone...I guess I would take a Nokia. Because of the Nokia Apps and all the WP attention Nokia is giving.

SpiralBorg

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
To me, Nokia is better as a OEM, but we all have different opinions.
To me, there devices function better, and have care taken in to designing them. I feel I spent my money wisely.
Nokia is also more destined for Windows Phone, due to the deal with Microsoft.
So to me, they have more experience.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
They are both good companies capable of producing great products, BUT when it comes to WP you have only one real choice: Nokia. HTC does not get as much $$$ from MS (if any at all) as Nokia does, so they must look elsewhere, this is why they are focusing most of their resources right now on making one of the best Android phone (the HTC One). Not really their fault, just a normal business reaction... Same goes for Samsung. There's just no good incentive for them to spend time and resources on making their WP offerings as good as their flagship Android models...

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I loved my HTC Titan, the fit and finish was much better than I had with LG or Samsung.

Once Nokia joined the game it was all over. HTC makes great devices but they are unmotivated to really pick either a physical theme or OS to the point where it has recognition. Nokia has done more to push the platform (have to to stay in business).

8x is a good device but costs too much compared to a 920 in the US. Until they can lower the cost of newer phones they will always be on the bench while other OEMs are grabbing more users

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's being PAYED by Microsoft, HTC isn't. Nokia would be dead by now if not for money from Microsoft. Sorry not a fair comparison, Nokia's being payed!

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I owned the HTC HD 7 which I liked quite a bit. I now own the Lumia 810. With the exemption of the 8gb of memory in the 810, the Nokia phone is better.

Because Nokia is in fact "all in" with Windows Phone and do seem to be putting in quite a bit of effort into phones, software and firmware updates, this is a decisive choice for Nokia.....

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The question here is where would the WP platform be if Nokia wasn't 100% on board. When you answer that question for yourself, you will get a pretty good idea for the whole Nokia vs. HTC thing.

HTC have been trying to be Nokia for years.. lately they've been pretty aggressive, first they "borrowed" the “fabula” design language from Nokia for their HTC one x, and then even more obvious for the 8X. That design language was presented well before the One X with the Nokia N9, and it followed with Lumia 800, 900, and finally the 920.

Nokia Lumia 800: in-depth video documentary – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

and now we have people saying "Oh, the 928 looks like an 8x".. no, it doesn't.. it looks like an N9.

Even their latest HTC One is borrowing Nokia technology to differentiate (HAAC mics) ..

So, for me personally.. I would take Nokia over HTC any day..

Nokia's being PAYED by Microsoft, HTC isn't. Nokia would be dead by now if not for money from Microsoft. Sorry not a fair comparison, Nokia's being payed!

Even if they didn't continue with their original QT/Symbian/MeeGo plan, and went with Android instead of WP 2 years ago... in fact either way, they would still be alive today.

The android option was on the table.. Elop flew into to Mountain View couple of days before they signed with MS.

This about that for a second ... If Nokia went Andro.. that makes another mighty competitor going against Windows Phone on top of Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, and the Chinese... ya, good luck with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss