Galaxy S4 Camera Dominates the competition.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What really drags for me are these android "plants" who pop into a pro Windows Phone forum and proselytize a device they don't own. Not to mention, a device that runs on an OS that competes with this one. They never owned the GS4 or maybe even the GS3. Just looked at a few pictures, watched a youtube and are now the consummate expert on the device.

Even worse, they talk as if we should give a flip. We know its there. If we want it, we know how to find it. Thanks anyway.

mox2284

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
What really drags for me are these android "plants" who pop into a pro Windows Phone forum and proselytize a device they don't own. Not to mention, a device that runs on an OS that competes with this one. They never owned the GS4 or maybe even the GS3. Just looked at a few pictures, watched a youtube and are now the consummate expert on the device.

Even worse, they talk as if we should give a flip. We know its there. If we want it, we know how to find it. Thanks anyway.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Must admit the video I just saw on the s4 looks impressive. The browser eye detection allows you to scroll up and down by looking up air down. However, we know specs never make a phone a clear winner, and I'd have to use it for a period of time before making judgment on it. What I do know is my Galaxy Sii Skyrocket I flashed jellybean 4.2.2 official, and it's smooth as butter. What I love about windows phone is the battery life, stability, live tiles and the build quality. Let's not forget about the consistent firmware updates. To me Nokia is badass and I'll continue to stick with them, as long as they have a new device by August or September.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
phone arena doesn't like Nokia thats why they didn't show the video stabilization test the lumia920 vs the s4

And they won't. Its not like Samsung can't build in some technology because they can. For me it comes down to what my needs are and how I prefer to get things done. I don't mean play with my phone like its a gamecube, I mean use it as it is intended.

It is about form, style, originality and design. WP has all this. I can do what I want to do with my L920. It has its quirks with live tiles but that said, it has never let me down.
So? Would it be cool to do some of the things other devices can do. I guess the answer is "of course". Is not having it "today" a show stopper? Heck to the No. I'm not given to gimmicks, parlor tricks and untested technologies anyway. Most of us are not. If those have value, they will be adopted in due course...like notification did. If not, they will be largely forgotten much like 3D nonsense we just passed through with the EVO 4G... again. Or the Kyocera Echo. The handset that supposed to allow you to text and surf the web simultaneously. Whatever that means.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Lippidip: of course it wasn't. You'd clearly know that if you read my post. Which you did.
Im just saying that you not liking Samsung doesn't impact the camera at all.
I don't care about Samsung at all, personally. I feel a much stronger hope for Nokia to push out a really great device, and I still hope they do some day.

Tech: I do hope you mean the OP here. In which case I agree; its totally ridicolous.
And I agree with your last post. The gimmicky things like airview and hovering and so forth aren't always useful just because they've made a "proof of concept" phone.

Harjit: was the stabilization thing with Samsungs release-SW and with stabilization on?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Lippidip: of course it wasn't. You'd clearly know that if you read my post. Which you did.
Im just saying that you not liking Samsung doesn't impact the camera at all.
I don't care about Samsung at all, personally. I feel a much stronger hope for Nokia to push out a really great device, and I still hope they do some day.

Tech: I do hope you mean the OP here. In which case I agree; its totally ridicolous.
And I agree with your last post. The gimmicky things like airview and hovering and so forth aren't always useful just because they've made a "proof of concept" phone.

Harjit: was the stabilization thing with Samsungs release-SW and with stabilization on?

I do mean the OP especially Slai but not just him. Most if not all of the OP's posts are intended to defame Windows Phone and and elevate Android like google is the second coming.

Shimoner01

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
In a weird way this could work out for Nokia. They typically have some of the better hardware, but thanks to Apple, that hasn't been what the general masses have cared about for the last few years. Instead, the conversation has been about the OS, and more specifically, apps - something WP and Nokia are losing at. However, when a very popular brand, i.e. Samsung, starts making hardware, and namely the camera, the center of attention with their flagships, they may just shift the conversation back from software. If that happens, this could benefit Nokia since this is somewhere that they can compete well and it might bring their name back in from the fringes when the general masses talk about the best phones to buy.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is "ripping every OEM". So true, they are ripping off the design of all the OEMs and copying them... They ripped off Apple and establish their galaxy brand :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is "ripping every OEM". So true, they are ripping off the design of all the OEMs and copying them... They ripped off Apple and establish their galaxy brand :)

Yes, all other manufacturers are just seething with innovation.

Samsung hasn't really played up the camera on the s4 much, from what Ive seen.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This whole conversation drips of Samsung marketing and pure inability to use one's brains. The S4 camera is the same sensor size, but more pixels, no hardware OIS, and an f/2.2 f-stop, so it is PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE of taking better pictures than the 920. The only way it can take better pictures is via user error on the 920 user's part, and/or software post-processing of the image. Period.

Dear Cheap Plastic Galaxy S4....dominate this (use your imagination).

Seriously folks, the camera sensor and lens just aren't capable of dominating anything. I can get great pictures from my 822, one's even on par with some of those, depending on how I use the camera, but I'm not going to run around thinking the camera is as good as, or better, than the 920's.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yet postprocessing is a big part of it, right? Im only going by what Ive read from people who have tested the phone, myself.
Bit rude to say people don't use their brains just because they don't have the information on hardware needed to make that call. Its like saying you don't use your brain just because you can't build an engine from scratch. Its not about ability, its just about having gained knowledge in that particular area or not.
Now, if this was "camera hardware forum for advanced users", then yeah id agree.

Edit: test seem to differ. Some tests mark 920 higher, some mark it lower. Talking purely camera here.
So I have no idea.

Id assume the 920 to be the better overall camera though. But what do i know.

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The photographer is the problem. I'm sorry but he sucks.

The S4 is great but man those photos sucks! The 920 is still better in my opinion. And I couldn't believe how the S3 beat the 920.

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
It's just, mpx isn't everything :)
And answering some comment here about hardware all I can say is: Android need a lot of hardware because the OS use all the resources. So dude, keep it real, no matter what are the hardware specs of the OS don't need that much, plus the cam? You serious about S4 cam? Wake up :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Android is heavier than WP indeed. But benchmarks are benchmarks.
As for the camera, tests seem inconclusive atm. Should be far better and more reliable tests out within a few weeks.
Of course mpx isn't everything, I don't think anyone here thinks that.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Rude? Hardly. If people are going to comment that the S4 camera dominates the 920's, without anything other than a sampling of photos, then they aren't properly vetting the information they are receiving.

Both cameras have 1/3" sensors. One crams 3.3 more megapixels into the same sensor, which equates to more noise (the Pureview 808 sensor is a 1/1.2", considerably larger than these, for example). Further the optics are better on the 920 (the f/2.0 lets in a significant amount of light above the S4's f/2.2 optics), backed with OIS. The only way, as stated before, for the S4 to win is if the 920's software or the user screws up. Everything being equal, the 920 should equal or surpass the S4 every time. This thread was clearly either started by a droid/Samsung ******, or one of those paid marketers that Samsung likes to use to spread lies.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i would personally say that no ones phone that i know of so far has taken better photos than my 920, honestly im with techblogger though, im done changing phones every 3 months because everyone comes out with a new product that has this or that better or newer. the nokia lumia 920 is 6 months old and people who are around me always ask me to take the picture with my phone as opposed to their iphone 5 their sgs3 their bb10. i dont really care what "experts say" ill enjoy my phone until my upgrade points me to a device i feel with fulfill my needs.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Falconrap: that, I agree with. But that's not what I was talking about.

WinFan: few people have the 808, so Im not surprised by that at all. Besides that, the 920 is probably the best camera phone out atm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss