I am shocked at how many Galaxy Notes I see over Lumias.

Timture

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I am still shocked that I see so many Galaxy Note 2s around. I made reference to this before, but I thought WP would have caught on a lot more by now. In fact, I have yet to run into anyone with Lumia 8 or 9. Seriously, how did Samsung even pull this one off? The Note 2 is HUGE. Sure it's fast and smooth, but it's HUGE. I can see why the Galaxy S series is so popular, but the Note line was supposed to be just a niche product. But it actually is selling more than any Windows phone, perhaps better than the whole Lumia line combined. It's not all just marketing either as bad word of mouth would kill sales faster than all the marketing in the world can generate. I live in North America, and I think I'm starting to realize that the Nokia name is pretty much linked with old news, like Motorola.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung and the Galaxy brand is on fire right now. And yes, it's largely marketing.

All of the high-end phones will get you a decent experience. They're all good products. So I don't expect "bad word of mouth" to happen much.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a combo of marketing, size+pen and Android being the "cool" OS (not to say its BAD...but its cool among the general public).

I also havent ran into a SINGLE PERSON who has a WP8 (i know 2 people who have a WP7). It looks like MS needs to ramp up the marketing...hopefully BLUE will be the push we're all hoping for.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now I'm waiting to see what is coming on Sprint. I'm not a person who goes switching carriers every time something new comes out. Had the Arrive, but I sort of damaged it beyond repair so I'm using a note 2 currently. It is a ok phone, but I'm wary of Android. I guess it is just my choice of what I get. Summer we will see.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
In Europe and the USA, I've seen a lot of women with the Note, especially. I think it's because they carry purses and it's easy to lug around a giant phone. And the huge screen does make video and browsing so much nicer.

In India and similar countries, a lot of people find it a good deal (financially) to get a single device which combines a high-end phone and a tablet. Getting both together, say an S3 and a Nexus 7 would cost 26+20=46K INR. You can get a Note II for ~36K INR.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't like the cheap looks of any Galaxy series but I have to give credit where it's due. Samsung managed to make something popular that no one could have imagined before its launch. They created the 'phablet' category that everyone is now jumping at.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The wife and I just picked up our 920's on Saturday. I couldn't be happier with the phone. My wife was tossing around getting something different but thought the iPhone was too small and a downgrade and the Galaxy was too large so she got the 920 and loves it.

My experience is just the opposite. I think I know one person who has the Galaxy. I know numerous people who have Windows Phones. The one who has the Galaxy was looking at my phone and though it was cool and may switch.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The Note is the lone player in a very niche market. The experience is very good from what I've read from others and it's not surprising to see it do so well.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
When the Note (the first one) came out, I saw a guy ahead of me in a restaurant line with one strapped to his hip. I remember thinking how silly and humongous that thing looked. I haven't seen another in the wild since. Galaxy S III and 4s are really popular around here... I just don't see anyone using Notes.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
1. It's got the Galaxy branding which is very popular.

2. It's a good device and has pretty unique features like being able to run two apps at once, a battery that can last two days for some, and a pen that isn't a finger replacement

3. Some people like bigger screens, especially older people or people with big hands.

I'm not surprised it's selling over Lumias, which is still an unknown to a lot of people and runs a platform which most haven't tried. Microsoft really has to do more to educate people on why Windows Phone is better and get devices in peoples' hands. I really think they've done a poor job of showing why Metro and things like live tiles and pinning are superior to icons and widgets.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Funny ... Here in Switzerland, I hardly see any Notes. But this is a country where anything without an "i" at the beginning is rare.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I think it has nothing to do with Nokia. It's a public perception issue. Mind-share.
Android had a lead which WP hasn't yet caught up. Plust WP has the name "Windows" which most people dismiss at first instance.
I have friends(high-tech) who think that WP has nothing to offer that Android can't do and they think that Nokia is miles behind in technology than Samsung and Apple.
They don't know the miles-ahead tech of Nokia Camera or Nokia maps/drive, etc. Such is the perception and we can't forcefully change that.

Only good word of mouth, good products and app/ecosystem support, good marketing can change that and for that MS needs to hurry up and release 8.1 before the holiday season.
If Nokia was making Android, Nokia would have been a darling though they made the decision for long-term success.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, I like my Lumia 920, but if there was a fully featured OneNote client for Android, I'd switch to a Note as well. There's many ways that Windows Phone is very limiting right now: ways the competition is not.

Unfortunately (so far at least), Microsoft has been too focused on coming up with its own unique features (Kid's Corner, Rooms) rather than catching up to iOS and Android on the basics that Windows Phone is missing. It doesn't matter if Kid's Corner is a great feature for parents; if that parent isn't able to do the same thing they can do on their current phone, they're not going to switch (and I'm not even talking about things like apps or notification center, though those are also a huge factor, but absolute basics like emailing any file they've downloaded to the device).

I hope that changes in WP8.1, but nobody has been saying anything yet.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Almost everyone in the US knows the Samsung brand, since Samsung makes more than just smartphones.

Nokia's smartphones never were popular in the US, even when they were the most popular brand everywhere else in the world.

The name recognition still isn't there yet in the US.

reags77

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It saddens me that every time I think Nokia has turned a corner and I have for the past 15 years suported Nokia be let down by no WP7 support as you would hope really letting me down and I love Nokia Lumia but am just so dissapointed.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It saddens me that every time I think Nokia has turned a corner and I have for the past 15 years suported Nokia be let down by no WP7 support as you would hope really letting me down and I love Nokia Lumia but am just so dissapointed.

Yeah and then you see articles like this. :crying:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss