I've persuaded my friend to get a windows phone and I'm not sure whether I should recommend the 720 or the 8X? My friend is a first time smartphone user so she doesn't have any specific demands. Quite simply which phone is better for a casual user who will be using their phone for taking pictures, browsing the internet, and calling/texting.?
    05-27-2013 09:12 AM
    I would advise her after asking two questions:

1) Are mapping options important to her?

2) What are the prices?

If she thinks travel and mapping will be important, go with the 720 and Nokia's excellent mapping services. The 720 wil most likely be cheaper, as the 8X in it's 16 G form will be a little more pricey. Also, you know Nokia will support their products a little better.

However, the 8X will have a better screen tech, and it's owners are very satisfied. Also, HTC just came out with some firmware updates, so they may be trying to support their devices much better then they have in years past. But, HTC does not have as good of a track record as Nokia does. So, short answer:

If price and extras are of no real concern, the 8X will be a great choice. The screen is wonderful and it's owners love it.

If she travels, maybe needs a cheaper option (for 16G of memory) and you want to ensure she will get software and firmware updates, go with the 720.
    qwerty248 likes this.
    05-27-2013 09:25 AM
    Thanks!! the 8X is actually cheaper by 50euro right now.! I've heard that the 8X randomly restarts? Is that still true or did the firmwares solve that issue?
    05-27-2013 10:53 AM
    Thanks!! the 8X is actually cheaper by 50euro right now.! I've heard that the 8X randomly restarts? Is that still true or did the firmwares solve that issue?
    Hmmm.... Done some quick research, and on the forums I read that is not a problem with the 8X. There have been some complaints about the screen being a little fragile and cracking, but not random restarts. As I am in the US, you may want to hit some of the more International based forums as it may be just a problem in International devices.

Also, as far as the price, it would be great of the 8X was cheaper. Just be sure that it is not the 8GB memory version. That is not a lot of space for apps and extras. While your friend may not care at first, it will not take long for her enjoying all the fun of a smartphone to catch up to her and run low on memory.
    05-27-2013 11:33 AM
    Thanks for your help!!
    05-27-2013 11:39 AM
    I would advise her after asking two questions:

1) Are mapping options important to her?

2) What are the prices?

If she thinks travel and mapping will be important, go with the 720 and Nokia's excellent mapping services. The 720 wil most likely be cheaper, as the 8X in it's 16 G form will be a little more pricey. Also, you know Nokia will support their products a little better.

If she travels, maybe needs a cheaper option (for 16G of memory) and you want to ensure she will get software and firmware updates, go with the 720.
    nokia's mapping is now available for all wp8 devices. If that's a difference maker, don't allow that to affect this decision.

All in all though, after coming from a Nokia device to an 8x, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I do miss the camera apps and constant updates. I'll also be jealous of the amber update if it includes the rumored double tap to wake and always on clock features.
    05-27-2013 11:45 AM