07-07-2013 02:52 PM
210 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Thank you for not saying Fast. WP is slow! Everytime i multi-task i always stuck at Resuming... at least 5 second. Still people sayin' Windows Phone doesn't need high specs blah blah blah!!!
    Clearly here just to troll, I presume.
    06-24-2013 06:54 AM
    I have a friend with a similar story. People think they're going to get an iPhone and are being lead by operators like lambs to the slaughter. Now people want to buy a Samsung and expect a Galaxy S4 experience from their Galaxy Ace.

Here is my friend's app list: Viber and Whatsapp! She is now getting a low memory warning and Viber is installed on a micro SD card.

LOTS of people on low-end Android devices are having an absolutely MISEARBLE time with thier smartphones.
    Thats because their internal memory is low(think the Samsung Ace comes with just 200MB internal?). Their low end Android is cheaper than the cheapest Lumia(510 in my country)!! which says alot.
    06-24-2013 07:15 AM
    Thank you for not saying Fast. WP is slow! Everytime i multi-task i always stuck at Resuming... at least 5 second. Still people sayin' Windows Phone doesn't need high specs blah blah blah!!!
    Posts like this just prove your ignorance.

First, as many have already mentioned, faster HW wouldn't really solve that issue... the problem is just developers not doing their job (impement fast resume) Your HW based solution works only in your imagination.

Second, WP doesn't and shouldn't engage in the specs race. What WP does need is higher performance hardware, but that has little to do with marketing focused spec sheets. More marketing targeting clueless geeks is something WP really doesn't need.
    06-24-2013 07:35 AM

First, as many have already mentioned, faster HW wouldn't really solve that issue... the problem is just developers not doing their job (impement fast resume) Your HW based solution works only in your imagination.

Second, WP doesn't and shouldn't engage in the specs race. What WP does need is higher performance hardware, but that has little to do with marketing focused spec sheets. More marketing targeting clueless geeks is something WP really doesn't need.
    Good point about specs. Specs are only one aspect of the device - you have to consider the overall experience. How does it actually perform when you use it? Android devices need quad core CPUs and 2 GB of RAM to run as smoothly as iPhones or high-end Windows Phones with dual core CPUs and 1 GB of RAM.

My Lumia 521 with a humble 1 GHz dual core CPU and 512 MB of RAM offers better and smoother overall performance than the Galaxy Nexus I used for a year.

Battery life is notably better, as well.
    06-24-2013 01:59 PM
    You just said grand theft auto was better than final fantasy 2. I've never seen a better way to invalidate yourself.

If you want a bunch of unnecessary complication... Err... Customizations, go android. If you want a smooth, fluid experience that you can rely on that won't go awry and is generally aesthetically appealing, go windows phone.
    I was comparing Contra with GTA and Final Fantasy with Elder Scrolls. Nothing I said invalidates anything because it is true. 2D games are linear/limited and in general polished because you can't even move in 3D space. Games like GTA and Elder Scrolls give you all the freedom in the world but at the cost of performance with clipping issues, slowdowns galore, and glitches. Yet those games still get higher ratings, sales, and praise because people don't want boring and linear.

That is exactly what WP8/IOS is. Boring and one dimensional and Android isn't and is more popular despite the occasional redraw or stutter. It is smooth enough and it works.

The quickest way to invalidate your statements is to be obviously biased like yourself. If Android was really as garbage as you say, then it wouldn't be more popular period. Sure a majority of the population is stupid but **** from a toilet still can't outsell a steak no matter how stupid they are and how much you market ****.
    06-24-2013 04:55 PM
    I was comparing Contra with GTA and Final Fantasy with Elder Scrolls. Nothing I said invalidates anything because it is true. 2D games are linear/limited and in general polished because you can't even move in 3D space. Games like GTA and Elder Scrolls give you all the freedom in the world but at the cost of performance with clipping issues, slowdowns galore, and glitches. Yet those games still get higher ratings, sales, and praise because people don't want boring and linear.

That is exactly what WP8/IOS is. Boring and one dimensional and Android isn't and is more popular despite the occasional redraw or stutter. It is smooth enough and it works.

The quickest way to invalidate your statements is to be obviously biased like yourself. If Android was really as garbage as you say, then it wouldn't be more popular period. Sure a majority of the population is stupid but **** from a toilet still can't outsell a steak no matter how stupid they are and how much you market ****.
    Because being the first reasonable alternative to the iPhone for two to three years and the first OS to target the low and midrange market in the U.S. didn't help at all.

Android is popular because it had an ecosystem when no one else did and it offered an array of hardware for OEMs to haphazardly toss the software onto.

For the record, Final Fantasy 2 received more solid 10s in gaming publications than Skyrim, not that I feel the two should be compared as western RPGs are inferior to JRPGs even to someone like me who loathes anime and most Japanese stylized things.

Android needs infinite amounts of customization to be functional, which is cool if you're one of those PC users who spent days getting tons of mods to remove all the glitches in it. I'll take a bug free and better experience in ff2 or even 13 since it's more linear than 2 but more beautiful than Skyrim.
    06-24-2013 06:15 PM
    Its because the developers ddon'tuse fast resuming feature. Try nextgen reader it resumes instantly!
    I think Fast Resume only works if the app is pinned to the start screen.
    06-24-2013 06:25 PM

Worst use case ever. In the scenario you provided Android is hardly the evolutionary of linear, they are just as linear as WP/iOS.

A better example would be :

Mass effect = WP
    Skyrim = Android

Mass effect is closed, a little linear but more focused and engaging. Skyrim is endless and open world, but buggy beyond hell...and laggy when things heat up ;)
    06-24-2013 06:34 PM
    Worst use case ever. In the scenario you provided Android is hardly the evolutionary of linear, they are just as linear as WP/iOS.

A better example would be :

Mass effect = WP
    Skyrim = Android

Mass effect is closed, a little linear but more focused and engaging. Skyrim is endless and open world, but buggy beyond hell...and laggy when things heat up ;)
    Definitely a more justified comparison, kudos.
    06-24-2013 06:42 PM

Guys - when was the last time you used an Android device? 2010? Buggy beyond hell? Laggy? I suggest you check out the Nexus 4 or the HTC One for a month and then report back. I frequently switch between my HTC One and my beloved Lumia 920 and what I notice most is just how much faster the UI is on the One. Everything LOOKS fluid on WP8 due to the transition animations (which, frankly, are a tad annoying at times). However, app loading times are far behind the HTC One and there are apps that lag on both devices (like the new E! app).

And buggy beyond hell? Come ON. I've yet to witness a reboot on the HTC One and I can't even remember when I last saw an app crash. It's stable as a rock and completely quirk-free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    phing77 likes this.
    06-25-2013 12:25 AM

Here we go again....
    06-25-2013 12:58 AM
    I think the whole "Every Android device is laggy" in 2013 shows that you haven't picked up any Android device in awhile. Yes, it took them awhile to get "consistent", but performance is much better than it was 2 years ago. Do I get an occasional lag on my LG Optimus G? Yes, but I did as well on my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 5. Trust me, I used to be anti-Android for a long time, but I can admit that performance is MUCH better now
    broar94 and thed like this.
    06-25-2013 01:02 AM
    I think the whole "Every Android device is laggy" in 2013 shows that you haven't picked up any Android device in awhile. Yes, it took them awhile to get "consistent", but performance is much better than it was 2 years ago. Do I get an occasional lag on my LG Optimus G? Yes, but I did as well on my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 5. Trust me, I used to be anti-Android for a long time, but I can admit that performance is MUCH better now
    That's what I was thinking, they are talking about android phones like they still using an OG Evo from 2010.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    cckgz4 likes this.
    06-25-2013 02:25 AM
    I think Fast Resume only works if the app is pinned to the start screen.
    I know what you are trying to say, and that isn't quite wrong, but it's not quite correct either. There is really no relationship at all between being pinned to the start screen and the ability to "fast resume". It works perfectly well without a live tile. For example, "fast resume" can also kick in when the app is re-launched from the app list. The live tile is just the most common way for "fast resume" to kick in.

Here we go again....
    Hey, I'm just responding to FUD which really needs to get hammered out of the average consumer's mind. It's counter productive for everyone.
    06-25-2013 04:59 AM
    I know what you are trying to say, and that isn't quite wrong, but it's not quite correct either. There is really no relationship at all between being pinned to the start screen and the ability to "fast resume". It works perfectly well without a live tile. For example, "fast resume" can also kick in when the app is re-launched from the app list. The live tile is just the most common way for "fast resume" to kick in.

Really? Because I've always wondered why it needs to be pinned to fast resume. Good to know if it can be done via app list.
    06-25-2013 06:50 AM
    Guys - when was the last time you used an Android device? 2010? Buggy beyond hell? Laggy? I suggest you check out the Nexus 4 or the HTC One for a month and then report back. I frequently switch between my HTC One and my beloved Lumia 920 and what I notice most is just how much faster the UI is on the One. Everything LOOKS fluid on WP8 due to the transition animations (which, frankly, are a tad annoying at times). However, app loading times are far behind the HTC One and there are apps that lag on both devices (like the new E! app).

And buggy beyond hell? Come ON. I've yet to witness a reboot on the HTC One and I can't even remember when I last saw an app crash. It's stable as a rock and completely quirk-free.

GS4, nexus 4, LG optimus G all in the last few months. I also played around on my cousin's One and low and behold, it was still a buggy, fragmented device. What kind of flagship devices can't have all the apps or play all the games that the OS has to offer? I still have no trouble making any of them lag and some of the most well-built games still crash because of heavy differentiation in hardware. When you generalize software, you sacrifice performance. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
    06-25-2013 06:53 AM
    Really? Because I've always wondered why it needs to be pinned to fast resume. Good to know if it can be done via app list.
    Yeah, really ;-)

That approach is even mentioned explicitly in an MSDN article on fast resume:

"If the app is suspended and the user relaunches the app, such as by tapping on the app name in the app list..."

There are other ways to have fast-resume kick in as well, but they are more cryptic and I doubt people are interested, so I won't go into those details here. Anyway, whether a live tile is pinned is completely irrelevant. Hope that clears things up.
    06-25-2013 07:14 AM
    I definitely agree with this. Before it broke, my Nexus 4 (I'm probably going to get a new one) was one of my backup phones. And yes, it occasionally lagged (but so does my iPhone 4S and my 920). Every OS will hiccup sometimes. But especially with jellybean Android has come a long way from the lagfest it used to be. I left Android at gingerbread for that very reason. But now I could pick up an iPhone, a flagship Android device (preferably a nexus device), or a WP and I could get by just fine with any of them.
    cckgz4 and A895 like this.
    06-25-2013 12:24 PM
    Well either my Xperia was defective or I'm imagining things but for a device which is considered the most powerful phone in the industry right now it really disappointed me. There was always lag of some sort somewhere. The menus, especially the scrolling and zooming on Chrome is dreadful and no where near as creamy as windows phone. Maybe the GS4 or HTC One are better but it just shows that there is no consistency throughout android. Despite the lag or no lag, the OS is just too fussy, too busy, fonts are too small, everything requires 2 or 3 more steps than windows phone. Windows phone menus, fonts, text, animations throughout the entire phone are consistent to each other, they all match. That is not the case with android though.
    06-25-2013 02:23 PM
    GS4, nexus 4, LG optimus G all in the last few months. I also played around on my cousin's One and low and behold, it was still a buggy, fragmented device. What kind of flagship devices can't have all the apps or play all the games that the OS has to offer? I still have no trouble making any of them lag and some of the most well-built games still crash because of heavy differentiation in hardware. When you generalize software, you sacrifice performance. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
    The GS4 is a laggy mess, I can confirm that (my wife has one). The reason why not all apps work on the new top phones is the fact that not all apps have been updated to Full HD yet. The same happened when the first retina iPhone was launched and the same will also happen when WP8 starts supporting higher resolutions.

And as for lag: sorry, I just can't replicate that on my own HTC One and the device has consistently been described as being completely fluid and fast, so I kind of have to file that under fanboi talk.

Anyway, I still prefer WP8's clear design to the messy, nervous mess Android is.

06-26-2013 12:29 AM
    Well either my Xperia was defective or I'm imagining things but for a device which is considered the most powerful phone in the industry right now it really disappointed me.

Which Xperia has ever been described as being "the most powerful phone in the industry"? You must be referring to a Sony ad. None of the Xperias have ever been exceptionally fast or powerful.

06-26-2013 12:31 AM
    MS talks about the Ecosystem a lot and the problem for Windows Phone going forward is people get invested in the Google ecosystem and it becomes very hard to switch. And for those people that want to switch (many people have feet in both camps - Microsoft and Google) it is hard because while there is support for the MS ecosystem (Outlook app, Skydrive app, Skype app) there is no support for Google in the MS ecosystem and as long as the MS market share in mobile remains low it is highly unlikely that MS can catch up - they are fighting from too far behind. The other apps that people miss are things like the USAA app (who says there aren't enough WP users in their customer to justify maintaining a WP app), tons of sports apps (Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, and also the St. Louis Cardinals) that might never see a WP app. Also, my banks and credit unions support Android/iOS - no WP. Android has over a billion users, iOS is over 1/2 Billion (or more), and WP is barely into the 10s of millions. This discussion reminds of WebOS (which I still miss, by the way) and the only reason WP is still around is because MS has deep pockets. All the hate towards Android isn't going to convince people to switch to WP and you can't make all the commercial businesses that support iOS/Android support WP unless WP gets to a reasonable market share - the old chicken and egg problem. At this point in time if somebody asks me about phones I will ask them about what they do on their phones and if it involves things like banking or sports then WP just doesn't make the cut. I am looking to try out a Lumia 521 because I love tech and would love to give WP a shot. I just know the support for things like Google Voice, GMail, and Google Drive is going to be limited or non-existent.
    06-26-2013 02:48 AM
    everything requires 2 or 3 more steps than windows phone. Windows phone menus, fonts, text, animations throughout the entire phone are consistent to each other, they all match. That is not the case with android though.
    That's a joke right? Right??? I can turn on WiFi/Bluetooth or pretty much any toggle with just ONE click on an Android phone. Every mundane task on Windows Phone takes a few extra steps than Android, even something as simple as dialling a number. Want to dial a number on Android? Press the dialler icon. Want to dial a number on Windows Phone? Press the phone tile, then press the very small dialler icon at the bottom.
    It's one thing just not liking another OS but let's not start making stuff up to prove our points.
    06-26-2013 07:03 PM
    That's a joke right? Right??? I can turn on WiFi/Bluetooth or pretty much any toggle with just ONE click on an Android phone. Every mundane task on Windows Phone takes a few extra steps than Android, even something as simple as dialling a number. Want to dial a number on Android? Press the dialler icon. Want to dial a number on Windows Phone? Press the phone tile, then press the very small dialler icon at the bottom.
    It's one thing just not liking another OS but let's not start making stuff up to prove our points.
    Okay I have a few cases in point.
    The music player - In windows phone you press Music and Videos and you have access to music, music related apps and podcast. Also whats immediately in front of you is recent downloads and music history. You don't get that with android.
    Camera - Self explanatory. Long press of the camera button and your there.
    Games - I press XBOX Games and they are all there. I don't have to keep scrolling through menus to look through what I want.
    Messaging - This was my biggest problem with it. Because the shift button is too big on androids keypad and the space bar is too small you have to make the choice between have full stops and commas, or non at all and a larger space bar, but having to press shift before entering one.
    Maps - Google maps is horrible to use. To find a place, look at reviews, get directions is tedious and horrible.

What I have just said only applies to the Xperia Z because as we know, android is not consistent, which is bad. You cant pick up a HTC One and a Galaxy S3 or 4 and accept them to be the same in operation because they wont.
    06-27-2013 04:06 AM
    Okay I have a few cases in point.
    The music player - In windows phone you press Music and Videos and you have access to music, music related apps and podcast. Also whats immediately in front of you is recent downloads and music history. You don't get that with android.
    Camera - Self explanatory. Long press of the camera button and your there.
    Games - I press XBOX Games and they are all there. I don't have to keep scrolling through menus to look through what I want.
    Messaging - This was my biggest problem with it. Because the shift button is too big on androids keypad and the space bar is too small you have to make the choice between have full stops and commas, or non at all and a larger space bar, but having to press shift before entering one.
    Maps - Google maps is horrible to use. To find a place, look at reviews, get directions is tedious and horrible.

What I have just said only applies to the Xperia Z because as we know, android is not consistent, which is bad. You cant pick up a HTC One and a Galaxy S3 or 4 and accept them to be the same in operation because they wont.
    I haven't used Android in a while so I can't pin point exact apps here but EVERY SINGLE, and I mean EVERY SINGLE thing you said can be fixed on Android with a 3rd party app. See, the built in apps on Android are no different than a 3rd party app because a 3rd party app can gain full control over the system like any 1st party app. This is the single biggest advantage of Android and you're choosing to ignore it.
    What happens if I don't like the messaging app on Windows Phone? Sorry, stuck with it. You can't have 3rd party SMS apps on Windows Phone. So go ahead and search a little. There are excellent 3rd party maps, messaging and camera apps for Android.

And the lack of consistency is GOOD. This means if I like Android but loathe TouchWiz, I can always buy an HTC and use their beautiful Sense UI. Or get a Sony and use their custom UI. Nokia went with Windows Phone because they complained they can't differentiate themselves on Android. Well how different is a Lumia phone compared to a HTC Windows Phone(not counting hardware)? None, no difference. They're 99.9% the same. The rest 0.1% is a bunch of exclusive apps.
    elbachy86 likes this.
    06-28-2013 07:03 PM
210 ... 34567 ...