07-07-2013 01:52 PM
210 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I don't see what the big argument is. Apparently lots of people like android, including me. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know that Windows Phone will ever approach the market share android has, but it has a solid foundation and with some relatively minor additions combined with the way new apps or coming to the platform it can be a solid hit.
    xandros9 and FinancialP like this.
    06-28-2013 07:56 PM
    Im from Dominican Republic and for those who says Microsoft service sucks out of USA are wrong!, I've been a android, IOS, BBOS user and now WP8 user, the problem with android is to my concert for a best user experience you must owner a high end device or at list a Google version to get a huge experience using it, I'm a social guy so I decided Wp cause is more simple and useful for me, definitely android is awesome but full of bugs and you must have to depending of third party apps to running properly or rooted...

I prefer WP even it has less apps and less customization!
    06-28-2013 08:39 PM
    I think the whole "Every Android device is laggy" in 2013 shows that you haven't picked up any Android device in awhile. Yes, it took them awhile to get "consistent", but performance is much better than it was 2 years ago. Do I get an occasional lag on my LG Optimus G? Yes, but I did as well on my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 5. Trust me, I used to be anti-Android for a long time, but I can admit that performance is MUCH better now
    I agree that Android improved significantly with its 4.x versions relative to its 2.x versions; I've owned devices in each category. On the other hand, I have a "pure" Android smartphone that is a bit old but not super old (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and a near pure Android tablet (Asus Transformer Pad TF300) and both, IMO, do not perform as well as my HTC Trophy (or either of the iPhones I've owned for that matter).

The gap in performance quality between Android OS and both WP OS and iOS has definitely shrunk in the last couple of years, but it is still there IMO.
    06-29-2013 10:09 PM
    I agree that Android improved significantly with its 4.x versions relative to its 2.x versions; I've owned devices in each category. On the other hand, I have a "pure" Android smartphone that is a bit old but not super old (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and a near pure Android tablet (Asus Transformer Pad TF300) and both, IMO, do not perform as well as my HTC Trophy (or either of the iPhones I've owned for that matter).

The gap in performance quality between Android OS and both WP OS and iOS has definitely shrunk in the last couple of years, but it is still there IMO.
    Still those two devices you have don't compare to the nexus 4 or 10 with 4.2.2.. Now that is a smooth experience.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-30-2013 02:23 PM
    Still those two devices you have don't compare to the nexus 4 or 10 with 4.2.2.. Now that is a smooth experience.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I bet my Samsung Chromebook XE303 tops them both.
    07-01-2013 07:43 PM
    Android is popular because plain and simply it does more than any other mobile OS and you can set it up exactly how you like.

Some things are missing from Windows phone 8, nothing is missing from android.

I like both operating systems for their strengths and weaknesses but Android once rooted can do anything!

Windows should allow a backdoor to Windows phones so that I can install more apps that they didn't approve yet.

Then I wouldn't have a need for android...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    07-01-2013 09:11 PM
    Android is popular because plain and simply it does more than any other mobile OS and you can set it up exactly how you like.

I like both operating systems for their strengths and weaknesses but Android once rooted can do anything!

Windows should allow a backdoor to Windows phones so that I can install more apps that they didn't approve yet.

I can name things android is missing!

Consistency, a smooth experience, a reasonable update structure, aesthetics... Etc.
    07-01-2013 09:21 PM

I highly doubt that there are tech savvy people that make up the majority of Android's sales. If you go on every phone carrier's website, I guarantee you there will be a free to low cost android device available. Android is available at EVERY price point. Literally. I'm not saying that every customer makes their decision based on price, but that's one thing you can't overlook
    07-02-2013 12:29 AM
    I highly doubt that there are tech savvy people that make up the majority of Android's sales. If you go on every phone carrier's website, I guarantee you there will be a free to low cost android device available. Android is available at EVERY price point. Literally. I'm not saying that every customer makes their decision based on price, but that's one thing you can't overlook
    Android is also heavily promoted and subsidized by Carriers. Samsung has done a ttremendously good job in promoting their phone and tablets. Now even if you buy a laundry machine from Samsung, you get a phone too. Soon you'll find it even in the Tide detergent box.
    cckgz4 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-02-2013 12:51 AM
    I can name things android is missing!

Consistency, a smooth experience, a reasonable update structure, aesthetics... Etc.
    Android is smooth, maybe not as smooth as Windows phone but it is smooth. I use it in my daily phone.

It does have aesthetics. You can get better aesthetics out of Android than any other phone because you can make it look however you want.

I can see consistency due to different flavors but I'm talking actual capabilities, features, functions, no mobile OS has more than Android.

But when you look at the highest selling Android phones what are they?

Htc one? Galaxy s III? Galaxy S4? Yes there are cheap Android phones (I as a phone salesman ALWAYS recommend against them!) but the big sellers are the high end.

Android is also heavily promoted and subsidized by Carriers. Samsung has done a ttremendously good job in promoting their phone and tablets. Now even if you buy a laundry machine from Samsung, you get a phone too. Soon you'll find it even in the Tide detergent box.
    Android isn't subsidized any more than any other mobile OS. Android is given out for FREE, so anyone can take it, put it on its phones, and sell them without paying Google a dime!

Android is promoted because due to the fact that Verizon became the number one carrier even when att had exclusivity with the iphone. Android phones took root, the most popular at the time was the droid, then Verizon kept coming with new droids, then Galaxies, and various other Android brands and they sell very well!

07-02-2013 09:18 AM
    Android is smooth, maybe not as smooth as Windows phone but it is smooth. I use it in my daily phone.

It does have aesthetics. You can get better aesthetics out of Android than any other phone because you can make it look however you want.

I can see consistency due to different flavors but I'm talking actual capabilities, features, functions, no mobile OS has more than Android.

But when you look at the highest selling Android phones what are they?

Htc one? Galaxy s III? Galaxy S4? Yes there are cheap Android phones (I as a phone salesman ALWAYS recommend against them!) but the big sellers are the high end.

Android isn't subsidized any more than any other mobile OS. Android is given out for FREE, so anyone can take it, put it on its phones, and sell them without paying Google a dime!

Android is promoted because due to the fact that Verizon became the number one carrier even when att had exclusivity with the iphone. Android phones took root, the most popular at the time was the droid, then Verizon kept coming with new droids, then Galaxies, and various other Android brands and they sell very well!

Android is far from smooth, on every phone I've used aside from the One and the Nexus 4 it's a jittery unstable mess and I've used all of the high end stuff. Even on those two it's not hard to generate lag, just not readily apparent at all times.

Please, show me a launcher, a full UI replacement, a custom job, whatever that's comparable aesthetically to WP8.

Let's not forget why Android really succeeded, they grabbed the low end market in the U.S. when there was no real competition and had a UI similar enough to iOS that the broke people didn't feel too left out in the cold. Let's not try to make a polished turd more than it really is.
    Oliver Newell likes this.
    07-02-2013 10:10 AM
    Android is far from smooth, on every phone I've used aside from the One and the Nexus 4 it's a jittery unstable mess and I've used all of the high end stuff. Even on those two it's not hard to generate lag, just not readily apparent at all times.

Please, show me a launcher, a full UI replacement, a custom job, whatever that's comparable aesthetically to WP8.

Let's not forget why Android really succeeded, they grabbed the low end market in the U.S. when there was no real competition and had a UI similar enough to iOS that the broke people didn't feel too left out in the cold. Let's not try to make a polished turd more than it really is.
    Wow the android hate is strong within you.

I guess when you do better than all your competitors it's gonna come.

I have used a galaxy s 4 after the update and it's smooth, as is the note 2.

As is the Nexus 4.

And as far as aesthetically comparable to Windows, a galaxy s 4 or 3 with nova or apex launcher.

Done.

I'll put it like this, name 3 functions windows phone has that Android doesn't have available to it.

You can't?

Is because Android does everything windows phone does and more

07-02-2013 11:09 AM

A launcher that makes Android aesthetically identical to Windows Phone? It's called Windows Launcher, I've used it and it's pretty sweet.

IJS.
    07-02-2013 11:22 AM
    Wow the android hate is strong within you.

I guess when you do better than all your competitors it's gonna come.

I have used a galaxy s 4 after the update and it's smooth, as is the note 2.

As is the Nexus 4.

And as far as aesthetically comparable to Windows, a galaxy s 4 or 3 with nova or apex launcher.

Done.

I'll put it like this, name 3 functions windows phone has that Android doesn't have available to it.

You can't?

Is because Android does everything windows phone does and more

Office, Xbox Live integration, tons of Nokia stuff that other OSes simply don't have, there's tons. Name three
    features android has that Windows Phone doesn't? I'm interested. I'm talking things that make the phone more functional to an average user, not menial garbage and bloat.

With your gs4, open up a nice wall of text site, scroll down and while scrolling hit home, severe lag. I don't have a note 2 but I assume it's the same. I don't consider the gs4 high end because it runs so poorly. I was truly disappointed as I spent 740 on the European version.

None of those launchers are even close and that apparent Windows Phone 8 fake launcher is a joke, nowhere close.
    Oliver Newell likes this.
    07-02-2013 12:57 PM
    Office, Xbox Live integration, tons of Nokia stuff that other OSes simply don't have, there's tons. Name three
    features android has that Windows Phone doesn't? I'm interested. I'm talking things that make the phone more functional to an average user, not menial garbage and bloat.

With your gs4, open up a nice wall of text site, scroll down and while scrolling hit home, severe lag. I don't have a note 2 but I assume it's the same. I don't consider the gs4 high end because it runs so poorly. I was truly disappointed as I spent 740 on the European version.

None of those launchers are even close and that apparent Windows Phone 8 fake launcher is a joke, nowhere close.
    WiFi direct, VPN and a file manager are three things I can think of right off the bat that WP 8 doesn't have but Android does.
    The Hustleman and FinancialP like this.
    07-02-2013 01:10 PM

Hide it pro - allows you to hide texts, pictures, even Web browsing from prying eyes

Quick toggles - change brightness, turn on hot spot, adjust volume all without even leaving the app you're using

Custom ROMs

Multiview - run 2 apps simultaneously

Google Now

Overall Google integration

Wide variety of keyboards so you can pick the one you like

Voice control

Tethering for free on unlimited plans with a root app

Ability to change the entire interface at will

More games

Ability to select your sms app

Ability to select your camera app

Not to say windows phone 8 is bad by any stretch of the imagination because it isn't, it's far from bad and I'd take it over an iphone or a low end Android any day, but a good Android trumps it

07-02-2013 01:15 PM
    And of course............ Lag :)

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    07-02-2013 01:26 PM
    Aside from your google integration point (which I don't agree with as I don't like my data being mined) all you offered up was apps, most of which WP8 has an alternative to. I was never a phone gamer until WP8. Not saying android doesn't have good ones but when windows phone gets an exclusive it's usually epic.
    07-02-2013 01:26 PM
    Aside from your google integration point (which I don't agree with as I don't like my data being mined) all you offered up was apps, most of which WP8 has an alternative to. I was never a phone gamer until WP8. Not saying android doesn't have good ones but when windows phone gets an exclusive it's usually epic.
    Ok, so go ahead and name the apps that replicate the functionality of those points I showed.

I'd LOVE to see this

07-02-2013 01:40 PM
    Hustleman - there are many people who dislike Android BECAUSE they've used it on one or more devices and found there have been performance issues on EVERY Android device they've owned. As a personal example, I've owned three Android devices (check the image in my signature), two smartphones and one tablet. BOTH of the smartphones were considered high-end devices at the time they were released, and two of my three devices (one of the smartphones and the tablet) were either pure Android or near-pure Android. Despite all of these factors, ALL THREE of these devices has had some sort of performance issue that has significantly distracted from my enjoyment of the device. Actually, I bought the pure Android device (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) BECAUSE of the issues I had with my first Android smartphone (Motorola Droid 2). Did using a pure Android device fully solve the problems? Nope. Considering Google can't seem to solve the performance issues with Android, I've decided to follow the "three strikes and you're out" rule and say "Hasta la vista, baby" to Android. (I should note my aggravation with Android is not a Google issue; I have a chromebook, and I think THAT device is great. Actually, I can't wait until Google replaces Android with Chrome OS on smartphones...which is probably fairly likely once mobile devices can support true desktop browsers or at least desktop browser performance. Ironically, that's probably the Android fanboys greatest fear - an attack from inside the Google tent - but I digress.)

I should note that my first smartphone (the aforementioned Droid 2) was an Android. At the time I bought it (December 2010), I thought I'd never want to buy an Apple device just because Apple is Apple, had read that most people thought Android was superior to Blackberry OS, and also thought I wouldn't want to ever buy a smartphone without a physical keyboard. (I was also barely aware of Windows Phone at the time; Microsoft had just released WP7, but didn't have any devices on Verizon yet.) I WANTED to be a strong Android advocate. But after using the Droid 2 for a number of months, its performance issues became a real headache, and I became a lot more interested in the other mobile operating systems out there. I also didn't want to become a true fanboy and bash other operating systems without having ever used them. Because I have a decent amount of discretionary income and money saved up (and also have a ridiculous smartphone fetish ), I could test out the other mobile operating systems by buying different smartphones (and tablets). I bought a Windows Phone. I bought an iPhone. I bought a Blackberry Playbook (good move) and the a high-end Bold (bad move). Heck, I even bought a couple webOS devices (RIP webOS). And you know what? I found out that other mobile OS functioned a lot better and fit what I wanted better than Android, even if many of those smartphones didn't have physical keyboards (which I'd still prefer to have, but it's no longer a must). Windows Phone is much smoother than Android. Apple's iOS, which part of me didn't want to like, is much smoother than Android. (I'm still trying to determine which mobile OS is smoother IMO, WP7/8 or iOS.) Blackberry Tablet OS and webOS, while not as smooth (especially the latter) as WP or iOS, had more appealing user interfaces than Android. Quite frankly, I found that Android was my second-least favorite mobile OS of all the operating systems I used, ahead of only Blackberry 7, which was seemingly invented when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and smartphone technical capabilities were lower.

The bottom line is I was able and willing to use various mobile OS, and because of that I have a more informed opinion than most people about mobile OS. And IMO, Android is a piece of crap, no matter what the phone looks like, no matter what apps are installed (and some of those apps, like Google Maps, are very good). Like I said above, I've given Android three tries and they haven't succeeded with any of them, so I see no point in giving any future tries unless I'm absolutely forced to. I will steer smartphone novices away from Android and toward WP8 or iOS (and possibly BB10 in the future once I buy and get a chance to use BB10). And I do that not because I'm some sort of fanboy or have Android hate, but because I've used Android and think most people who use it will eventually get frustrated with it, like I did.
    07-02-2013 11:38 PM
    On the other hand, Samsung Galaxy S4 just reached 20Million sales... 10million in a month.
    07-03-2013 06:05 AM
    On the other hand, Samsung Galaxy S4 just reached 20Million sales... 10million in a month.

And?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Jonathan Piferrer likes this.
    07-03-2013 06:55 AM
    Hustleman - there are many people who dislike Android BECAUSE they've used it on one or more devices and found there have been performance issues on EVERY Android device they've owned. As a personal example, I've owned three Android devices (check the image in my signature), two smartphones and one tablet. BOTH of the smartphones were considered high-end devices at the time they were released, and two of my three devices (one of the smartphones and the tablet) were either pure Android or near-pure Android. Despite all of these factors, ALL THREE of these devices has had some sort of performance issue that has significantly distracted from my enjoyment of the device. Actually, I bought the pure Android device (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) BECAUSE of the issues I had with my first Android smartphone (Motorola Droid 2). Did using a pure Android device fully solve the problems? Nope. Considering Google can't seem to solve the performance issues with Android, I've decided to follow the "three strikes and you're out" rule and say "Hasta la vista, baby" to Android. (I should note my aggravation with Android is not a Google issue; I have a chromebook, and I think THAT device is great. Actually, I can't wait until Google replaces Android with Chrome OS on smartphones...which is probably fairly likely once mobile devices can support true desktop browsers or at least desktop browser performance. Ironically, that's probably the Android fanboys greatest fear - an attack from inside the Google tent - but I digress.)

I should note that my first smartphone (the aforementioned Droid 2) was an Android. At the time I bought it (December 2010), I thought I'd never want to buy an Apple device just because Apple is Apple, had read that most people thought Android was superior to Blackberry OS, and also thought I wouldn't want to ever buy a smartphone without a physical keyboard. (I was also barely aware of Windows Phone at the time; Microsoft had just released WP7, but didn't have any devices on Verizon yet.) I WANTED to be a strong Android advocate. But after using the Droid 2 for a number of months, its performance issues became a real headache, and I became a lot more interested in the other mobile operating systems out there. I also didn't want to become a true fanboy and bash other operating systems without having ever used them. Because I have a decent amount of discretionary income and money saved up (and also have a ridiculous smartphone fetish ), I could test out the other mobile operating systems by buying different smartphones (and tablets). I bought a Windows Phone. I bought an iPhone. I bought a Blackberry Playbook (good move) and the a high-end Bold (bad move). Heck, I even bought a couple webOS devices (RIP webOS). And you know what? I found out that other mobile OS functioned a lot better and fit what I wanted better than Android, even if many of those smartphones didn't have physical keyboards (which I'd still prefer to have, but it's no longer a must). Windows Phone is much smoother than Android. Apple's iOS, which part of me didn't want to like, is much smoother than Android. (I'm still trying to determine which mobile OS is smoother IMO, WP7/8 or iOS.) Blackberry Tablet OS and webOS, while not as smooth (especially the latter) as WP or iOS, had more appealing user interfaces than Android. Quite frankly, I found that Android was my second-least favorite mobile OS of all the operating systems I used, ahead of only Blackberry 7, which was seemingly invented when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and smartphone technical capabilities were lower.

The bottom line is I was able and willing to use various mobile OS, and because of that I have a more informed opinion than most people about mobile OS. And IMO, Android is a piece of crap, no matter what the phone looks like, no matter what apps are installed (and some of those apps, like Google Maps, are very good). Like I said above, I've given Android three tries and they haven't succeeded with any of them, so I see no point in giving any future tries unless I'm absolutely forced to. I will steer smartphone novices away from Android and toward WP8 or iOS (and possibly BB10 in the future once I buy and get a chance to use BB10). And I do that not because I'm some sort of fanboy or have Android hate, but because I've used Android and think most people who use it will eventually get frustrated with it, like I did.
    Wow, that's a lot.

Well I've used Android for years and have had no performance issues in my Galaxy s III, note 2, and even the s4 I played with (after the update)v so I really don't see where you're coming from.

Android is just a simple to use platform with great performance on a high end phone.

Personally I think wp8 is snappier but the lack of capabilities is why I don't think it'll be my daily phone for too long.

07-03-2013 09:29 AM
    Still waiting for those alternatives.

If you can just give me an alternative to "hide it pro" I'll be happy

07-03-2013 09:30 AM
    I've had almost all OS (From Symbian to Ios) an after using all of them, my experience couldn't be better on WP 8...! It has a solid performance (like ios) more customizable (i love tiles) and some Android features...

Thats why i love: "WP Software + Nokia Harware"

Regards!
    07-03-2013 10:03 AM
210 ... 45678 ...