07-07-2013 02:52 PM
210 ... 56789
tools
    Still waiting for those alternatives.

If you can just give me an alternative to "hide it pro" I'll be happy

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I think pic lock ultimate is valid enough. I use it to hide stuff I don't want my kid getting into. Tether X for tethering, there's those tile apps that some people like to use for major customization though I prefer the simplicity, you've still yet to name a generally useful feature that Android has over Windows Phone. Root might be cool for the 1.x% of users who even know what it is but the rest of them are just stuck with ugly lagdroids largely sporting Touchwiz which hasn't had a valid aesthetic update since Gingerbread. At least HTC makes an effort.
    07-03-2013 11:07 AM
    I think pic lock ultimate is valid enough. I use it to hide stuff I don't want my kid getting into. Tether X for tethering, there's those tile apps that some people like to use for major customization though I prefer the simplicity, you've still yet to name a generally useful feature that Android has over Windows Phone. Root might be cool for the 1.x% of users who even know what it is but the rest of them are just stuck with ugly lagdroids largely sporting Touchwiz which hasn't had a valid aesthetic update since Gingerbread. At least HTC makes an effort.
    Pic lock ultimate hides pictures, videos, texts, and does incognito browsing?

If not then it isn't valid enough

Does tether X allow you to start tethering in just 2 moves without leaving the app you're using? If not, it isn't.

I've named several features android has over Windows Phone. If you read my comments you'll see the long list I wrote

broar94 and FinancialP like this.
    07-03-2013 12:33 PM
    Pic lock ultimate has a two star rating in the UK Store and doesn't even come anywhere near to Hide it pro for Android which is also a free app compared to Pic lock ultimate which is a paid app.
    And did you deliberately ignore the three things I listed earlier that Android can do by default that WP 8 can't?
    The Hustleman likes this.
    07-03-2013 01:00 PM
    Pic lock ultimate has a two star rating in the UK Store and doesn't even come anywhere near to Hide it pro for Android which is also a free app compared to Pic lock ultimate which is a paid app.
    And did you deliberately ignore the three things I listed earlier that Android can do by default that WP 8 can't?
    You know what he's going to do - make it seem like it's a bad thing to not have those features or act like they aren't wanted.

I see it all the time with iphone people

WorzelGummage and FinancialP like this.
    07-03-2013 01:04 PM
    What three would those be?
    07-03-2013 01:12 PM
    What three would those be?
    If you refer back to message #140 I responded to your post asking for three things that Android has over WP 8 and for your convenience I'll repost those three things here:

WiFi direct, VPN and a file manager are three things I can think of right off the bat that WP 8 doesn't have but Android does.

Cheers.
    07-03-2013 01:36 PM
    If you refer back to message #140 I responded to your post asking for three things that Android has over WP 8 and for your convenience I'll repost those three things here:

WiFi direct, VPN and a file manager are three things I can think of right off the bat that WP 8 doesn't have but Android does.

Cheers.
    VPN would be nice, a file manager would make the only secure OS insecure and what level of P2P are you wanting because it could refer back to the file manager thing.
    07-03-2013 01:55 PM
    VPN would be nice, a file manager would make the only secure OS insecure and what level of P2P are you wanting because it could refer back to the file manager thing.
    I mentioned WiFi direct which acts similar to Bluetooth and is a great way of sharing large files between devices using the phone's WiFi connections without having to join a home network.

Wi-Fi Direct

I've used it to share pictures with friends on their Android phones and the pictures transferred almost immediately. Bluetooth sharing is old technology now.
    07-03-2013 02:10 PM
    I mentioned WiFi direct which acts similar to Bluetooth and is a great way of sharing large files between devices using the phone's WiFi connections without having to join a home network.

Wi-Fi Direct

I've used it to share pictures with friends on their Android phones and the pictures transferred almost immediately. Bluetooth sharing is old technology now.
    The thing is, you can't open up that option and keep the OS as the only secure mobile OS as it'd be too easy to launch all different kinds of exploits via that method. It's a nice idea and all, I seldom have friends on the same WiFi network as me but I could see the use i suppose. It promotes insecurity though.
    07-03-2013 02:20 PM
    The thing is, you can't open up that option and keep the OS as the only secure mobile OS as it'd be too easy to launch all different kinds of exploits via that method. It's a nice idea and all, I seldom have friends on the same WiFi network as me but I could see the use i suppose. It promotes insecurity though.
    Nah mate, it's as safe as houses. It uses WPA2 security protocol and replaces Bluetooth as a transfer method. You don't need to join an existing network to use WiFi direct because you just create your own which other people with WiFi direct devices can join (with your permission) or you can join theirs. It's especially good for sharing larger files like videos that you've taken with your phone. Imagine trying to share a 100 MB video over Bluetooth! Do it over a WiFi connection directly with another device and it's transferred in no time.
    07-03-2013 02:30 PM
    Actually, thinking about it the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S 3 has the Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon chipset which is the same as in the 920. It also has WiFi direct so it's entirely plausible for MS to offer this feature in a future update just like they have by turning on the FM radio in the next update.
    07-03-2013 02:43 PM
    Nah mate, it's as safe as houses. It uses WPA2 security protocol and replaces Bluetooth as a transfer method. You don't need to join an existing network to use WiFi direct because you just create your own which other people with WiFi direct devices can join (with your permission) or you can join theirs. It's especially good for sharing larger files like videos that you've taken with your phone. Imagine trying to share a 100 MB video over Bluetooth! Do it over a WiFi connection directly with another device and it's transferred in no time.
    It's more that they'd likely have to introduce a new protocol disallowing certain files that likely wouldn't play nicely with Android just like our nfc
    07-03-2013 03:53 PM
    I figured this would Happen. Someone would try to make something good out to be something bad

WorzelGummage likes this.
    07-03-2013 05:07 PM
    I figured this would Happen. Someone would try to make something good out to be something bad

Having a secure OS is a bad thing, okay.
    07-03-2013 05:30 PM
    Having a secure OS is a bad thing, okay.
    No one ever said that but not having a file system or wifi direct definitely isn't a good thing and having it is a good thing,

07-03-2013 06:20 PM
    Even so I am a WP8 addict, I completely disagree with your review... Well sort off. I have tried various devices and come to the conclusion that the skin matters. I don't like Touchwiz, I prefer Sense. Also to my surprise Sense 5 works great with our Kerio Mail Server, while other skins don't. So your review might be pertinent to a Sony device, but it does not apply to Sense5 Android devices. Not to mention the widgets which are in fact useful. Yes I prefer WP8, but HTC has made Android 4.1 much more useable with its skin* (which includes the app selection that comes with Sense5). WP8 however does a lot more, is very fluid considering the lesser hardware it runs on, not to mention its best email, keyboard and txt functions and an unrivalled spell checking and suggestion system. But, Android is a good system if used properly by the manufacturer.
    07-03-2013 06:39 PM
    Even so I am a WP8 addict, I completely disagree with your review... Well sort off. I have tried various devices and come to the conclusion that the skin matters. I don't like Touchwiz, I prefer Sense. Also to my surprise Sense 5 works great with our Kerio Mail Server, while other skins don't. So your review might be pertinent to a Sony device, but it does not apply to Sense5 Android devices. Not to mention the widgets which are in fact useful. Yes I prefer WP8, but HTC has made Android 4.1 much more useable with its skin* (which includes the app selection that comes with Sense5). WP8 however does a lot more, is very fluid considering the lesser hardware it runs on, not to mention its best email, keyboard and txt functions and an unrivalled spell checking and suggestion system. But, Android is a good system if used properly by the manufacturer.
    Yes Id agree with you to be honest. Touchwiz is vile, I don't know about HTC Sense. I hear it has been revamped but sense on my HTC Legend I had a few years ago was horrible. But that goes to show poor consistency. I can pick up anyone's Windows phone and immediately know where everything is and how everything works. "Pure android" extremely good I have to admit but that still lags. Its just a poorly written OS as a whole. Some OEM's make it more bearable but at the end of the day, you cant polish a turd.
    07-04-2013 07:11 PM
    I gotta say, while I detest android I don't feel as though most of you have given it a fair chance. It's not that good but saying your 920 is better than a phone that's around 5 years old... Duh.
    07-04-2013 07:53 PM
    I gotta say, while I detest android I don't feel as though most of you have given it a fair chance. It's not that good but saying your 920 is better than a phone that's around 5 years old... Duh.
    Well no I was comparing it to my Xperia Z I had, and while I love Sony and their hardware, android for me is so hard to get on with I had to get rid of it. It was driving me nuts.
    07-05-2013 02:29 PM
    I can name things android is missing!

Consistency, a smooth experience, a reasonable update structure, aesthetics... Etc.
    Feature wise obviously. Android can literally right now do whatever you want it to.

Sent from my XT907 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-05-2013 05:55 PM
    Some bad misconceptions about android on here. Also file exploring in a phone isn't insecure at all. It let's hit delete files that otherwise would take up space on your phone.
    07-05-2013 06:04 PM
    Some bad misconceptions about android on here. Also file exploring in a phone isn't insecure at all. It let's hit delete files that otherwise would take up space on your phone.
    Or, you know, files integral to day to day use
    07-06-2013 01:50 AM
    Or, you know, files integral to day to day use
    If you know what you are going then there won't be any problems and really, files that are essential to your phone are hidden. I explore files on my phone all the time. I can delete leftover cache and data from apps that would otherwise just sit there and take up space. I think that is what is going on with this "other" storage problem I have seen on here. I also have an app that let's be know when I uninstall an app it let's me know that the app I uninstalled left cache and data on my internal storage then I can delete that waste of space from my phone from the app. Can you even delete app data or cache from windows phones?

07-06-2013 08:05 AM
    If you know what you are going then there won't be any problems and really, files that are essential to your phone are hidden. I explore files on my phone all the time. I can delete leftover cache and data from apps that would otherwise just sit there and take up space. I think that is what is going on with this "other" storage problem I have seen on here. I also have an app that let's be know when I uninstall an app it let's me know that the app I uninstalled left cache and data on my internal storage then I can delete that waste of space from my phone from the app. Can you even delete app data or cache from windows phones?

If you own a Nokia windows phone, yes. If you don't, well, you backed the wrong fighter in the WP race
    07-06-2013 09:14 AM
    If you own a Nokia windows phone, yes. If you don't, well, you backed the wrong fighter in the WP race
    I see. The file exploring is a feature that should come as it can really be beneficial. You can even move pics, music, and other files from your internal memory to your microsd card if your phone has one.

07-06-2013 09:20 AM
210 ... 56789