How is Android the most popular mobile OS ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Amid seeing the recent pushing of Sony advertising the Xperia Z and all the hype that has come with it - "one of the most powerful phone out there today" and "sleek, stunning design" and of course the dust and water resistance. Well upon doing some online research and gazing over photos of the XZ I, regrettably took the plunge and bought myself one, thinking that since me last having an android phone, a HTC Legend in 2010 that things would have improved immensely. Oh was I in for a shock though....!

So DPD came and delivered it, I unboxed it and was surprised at how basic the box itself was, for what is their most expensive, flagship handset. So I booted it up and immediately thought things had changed. Let me tell you android initial set up is now where near as helpful or as sophisticated as WP8. Anyways I persevered and got it up an running. I then started to hate it. The fact my contacts were all synced on my outlook account and the lac of outlook support on android put me right off, having to ask everyone for their numbers again.

Then there is the typing, messaging and keyboard which is awful, not very accurate and I was always pressing the comma button. you can change the keyboard layout but this didn't help. Android market, or google play as its now called is busy and messy, the home screens on it left me feeling confused and it just didn't have the sophistication or ease of windows phone. I also did some speed tests with my L920 and the XZ and the Nokia had the edge on all of them including launch times of temple run, the internet and contacts.

There is nothing better that I can see about android phone. The fonts aren't as clear, they are smaller, everything requires 2 or 3 more steps to get things done versus windows phone. People go on about the lack of support windows phone is getting but the thing is android phones need constant updates for performance enhancements which windows phones just don't need. Obviously there are other reason phones update but I really wasn't wanting for anything on my Lumia 920. Im using that now, going to completely wash my hands of android, again. Apps and more features will come to WP8 soon. Im just saying, it could be a lot worse. The XZ is highly over-rated.

Windows phone is now slowly but steadily taking off. Ill be sticking with my 920 until September when Microsoft and or Nokia announce their new products.

So what do you guys think? Do you think android has sort of hit a brick wall and cant really do anything else? Do you think android is really worth it considering its add filled apps and messy OS?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Simple, they attacked the low end market when no one else really was. Nokia is doing so now but it's not going to be easy to recuperate. The iPhone was once only on att in the U.S. So the other carriers had to use android as an only alternative.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows OS as sophisticated as Android? Lol. You must be kidding me. Anyway, it's popular as it's open source and it's a 6 year old OS, hence very popular(esp the amount of Applications that are available versus Windows OS) and there is a variety of OEMs making Android smartphones for every budget, unlike Apple IOS which is ridiculously overpriced or Windows OS which is yet to mature to a proper smartphone OS.

Last edited:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
As my signature dictates, my smartphone history is as follows:
iPhone 3G > Samsung Focus > Galaxy S3 > L920

My Samsung Focus was dropped and since after 7 weeks my phone was "lost" (according to Samsung), Rogers offered me a huge discount on any of their pre-owned phones. This was right around the S3 launch, so they had one in stock and after hearing all the rave/craziness i decided to give Android a shot....and 8 months later couldnt take it anymore and came back to WP, sold my S3 and bought a L920.

Android has a lot of benefits in my opinion, but I find the WP and Android appeal to different crowds. I have to admit, i do miss some things like the plethora of management tools built into the OS itself and wish we got more of the high end games earlier..however all the my major problems with my S3 experience made the overall enjoyment unbearable.

I can see why so many people prefer Android, but like many of my non-technical peers, they went with the OS because 'every one has it'. The hardware giant like Samsung has marketed and advertised their models so well, capitalized where it counts and hope to retain their niche. And others just love the flexibility of the Android OS, which i can see an appeal for a specific market. Some people want a mobile PC, others want an extension of their PC....thats where the diffference is in my prospective.

WP8 rocks, i never plan to go back to Android for a mobile OS. I like my Nexus 7, its a cool toy but wish i got Surface RT instead.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The number of people that get Android because it is Open Source is probably less than the Windows Phone market share. Android is in the posiition it is in because a) Apple made smartphones mainstream b) people either couldnt get or couldn't afford an iPhone and therefore went with the only available alternative at the time: Android. Yes, there is the geek segment of the user base that got it for it's technological merits over iOS but for the rest, it was because it was cheap and available and kind-of, sort-of like an iPhone.

Nokia is following the right strategy to get Windows Phone where it needs to be: get the low end.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Let's not kid ourselves, here. Android is a very good mobile OS, and has some great features that set it apart from other platforms. Google continues to innovate and will likely bring some interesting updates in its next version of Android (Key Lime Pie). The way Android goes about things appeals to many people. It is definitely the most customizable mobile OS out there, and yes, that can lead to bloat and clutter. I think if you're going to give Android a fair shot, you need to try a Nexus device to get the "pure" Android experience without all the extra carrier/OEM bloatware and UI layers.

That being said, I have decided I'm done with Android. My reasons for leaving are many, but the main reason is that Google's products and services are all geared towards harvesting data and information from individuals to serve up targeted ads to them. Many have no problem with this, but I just didn't feel comfortable owning one of their data collection devices (Galaxy Nexus) any longer. Besides, I prefer Microsoft services (Outlook.com, SkyDrive, Skype) over Google's, so it made sense for me to give Windows Phone a shot.

Overall, I've been impressed with my Lumia 521 in the week I've owned it. The Start Screen is a great combination of the tired old icon layout of iOS and the widget capabilities of Android into a sleek, tiled interface.

I am, however, a bit concerned about Microsoft's commitment to the Windows Phone platform. Their latest move of rolling out Skype video messaging to just about every platform EXCEPT Windows Phone has me scratching my head wondering what in the world they were thinking. Shouldn't they have done the exact opposite? How embarrassing.

Anyway, I'll be using this 521 for another 2-3 months before I make my final verdict and get a high-end smartphone.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
What exactly IS a proper smartphone OS? My Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 920) makes phone calls, sends SMS, sends MMS, plays games, navigates, remote controls desktops without 3rd party app on the desktop, syncs all my calendars, email, contacts, etc. connects to FB, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, etc. Runs smoothly with few to no glitches and is a breeze to set up and get running.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The people I know who have android phone has them because usually it was a phone which had a good contract deal, lots of minutes, texts and data. iPhones are too expensive and blackberrys they have usually had and hated. There are people out there who will pick a phone just for that, but when people say they want a phone that's functional and easy to sue and then buy a Galaxy note I just don't make it out. I think a lot of it is W0 publicity or the lack there of. Although windows phone is starting to get recognised by people more, a majority of people don't acknowledge it even exists. I have no doubt that for developers android is the superior OS but for people who use their smartphones for business (Microsoft office and sky drive integration) or who want a nice, good looking phone that fun and easy to use, windows phone does it a lot better than android, in my opinion.

As regards the lower end of the market, people after a smartphone on a budget WP has been slow to react, or rather the manufacturers have, Nokia have gone in with a bang with the 520 but other manufacturers need to get in. I cant see HTC offering a budget Windows phone handset anytime soon and Samsung is as good as finished with windows phone, Sony said they wouldn't support windows phone unless it "takes off". Nokia may soon become the only manufacturer of windows phone, sort of like Apple for the iPhone, only in Nokias case they offer a much wider range of models at different prices.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I truly don't see google innovating much at all. Most of what happens on android is almost a direct ripoff of Ubuntu. Samsung might innovate but once they have tizen who knows what will happen? Android is a middle grounds for everyone until something gets better. It's a laggy, stale and dated iPhone lookalike that gained popularity for that very reason.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have no doubt that for developers android is the superior OS...

I am a developer and Android is the only OS I truly ever hated developing for. I don't know many WP devs, but every dev that is familiar with iOS and Android would much rather develop for iOS.

The majority of devs work with Android only because they must... it's where most consumers are...

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am a developer and Android is the only OS I truly ever hated developing for. I don't know many WP devs, but every dev that is familiar with iOS and Android would much rather develop for iOS.

The majority of devs work with Android only because they must... it's where most consumers are...

I am a WP dev, and I thought for a moment about moving my app to android. Once I started research, I learned android has no google-created development tool (Like Visual studio). I also learned that it is programmed in Java (Sure, I could use a 3rd party tool to program in something I know), but that can create FPS issues. Plus, Java is insecure and dated. I'll be porting my app to ios/WP and only IOS and WP.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am a WP dev, and I thought for a moment about moving my app to android. Once I started research, I learned android has no google-created development tool (Like Visual studio). I also learned that it is programmed in Java (Sure, I could use a 3rd party tool to program in something I know), but that can create FPS issues. Plus, Java is insecure and dated. I'll be porting my app to ios/WP and only IOS and WP.

Most importantly, you have a gazillion OS versions and hardware configurations you must test your app with. Getting your app to behave correctly on every device can be more work than developing it.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What exactly IS a proper smartphone OS? My Windows Phone (Nokia Lumia 920) makes phone calls, sends SMS, sends MMS, plays games, navigates, remote controls desktops without 3rd party app on the desktop, syncs all my calendars, email, contacts, etc. connects to FB, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, etc. Runs smoothly with few to no glitches and is a breeze to set up and get running.

Still, Windows OS is missing alot of features, esp the much-needed Notification Center etc. I would say the number of apps, even the existing apps(Twitter,Facebook,WhatsApp, etc) are a big shame to the OS. AND its previous OS- Wp 7.8 - is 3 years old already!! Even in Android 2.3- gingerbread which was made in 2010- there were lots of stuff going on already), open source made rooting possible, installing third party roms is easy, endless customization.

Developers have not given WP a proper look and hence not much quality apps are available in the marketplace. Even games are a big let down, no proper 3D games. Unless developers are ready to make more apps, WP8 is not going to go big. I can only pray things will go in the right track and more& more peeps start using Windows Phone. Microsoft needs to do ALOT more if they want this to suceed.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Still, Windows OS is missing alot of features, esp the much-needed Notification Center etc. I would say the number of apps, even the existing apps(Twitter,Facebook,WhatsApp, etc) are a big shame to the OS. AND its previous OS- Wp 7.8 - is 3 years old already!! Even in Android 2.3- gingerbread which was made in 2010- there were lots of stuff going on already), open source made rooting possible, installing third party roms is easy, endless customization.

Developers have not given WP a proper look and hence not much quality apps are available in the marketplace. Even games are a big let down, no proper 3D games. Unless developers are ready to make more apps, WP8 is not going to go big. I can only pray things will go in the right track and more& more peeps start using Windows Phone. Microsoft needs to do ALOT more if they want this to suceed.

You clearly don't grasp the point of Windows Phone.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

I agree, Android has more really good app over WP8. At last count, Android out numbered "FART" apps 20 to 1 over WP8. Notification missing! Are you serious. It's coming and I wouldn't put it in the top app needed category. Mind you, everyone thinks different apps are more important but for a 6 month old OS, I can't complain. WP8 has all the apps I have found I needed.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Fart apps are there because anyone can submit apps to the Google Play store right? I hope you know both MS and Apple have closed ecosystem and monitor the apps strictly? Either way, quality apps are missing right now. And as you rightly said, it should be coming soon or atleast by 2014. Lol

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
How Android got to where it is...
1. Tweakers (computer type, not meth heads) who like to customize and customize and customize.
2. Flood the market with cheap crappy phones.

Both are issues. An example: my sister saw my WP and finally decided to get a "smartphone'. She really couldn't afford the WP, and the salesperson talked her into a cheap Android phone. Her first complaint... It was difficult to navigate, because it was different than her friends Android. When she asked her friend how to do something, their instructions didn't work on her phone because the manufacturer/carrier had customized it. She was really frustrated with that.

She ran into bad coverage in places her old flip phone worked fine in.

Then in a matter of days the phone took a dump. Nothing really worked (is wasn't bricked) as it did originally. She took it back under warranty, they couldn't get it to work either (even after a factory reset). They offered to replace the unit, but she said no. Refunded her for the phone and reactivated her old flip phone.

She's waiting for her carrier to get entry level WP. Her only concern is she is currently heavily vested in Google (mail, contacts, docs, etc.) and she doesn't want to migrate again (long story).

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Fart apps are there because anyone can submit apps to the Google Play store right? I hope you know both MS and Apple have closed ecosystem and monitor the apps strictly? Either way, quality apps are missing right now. And as you rightly said, it should be coming soon or atleast by 2014. Lol

You do know that the fact that anyone can submit an app for Android is considered a bug, not a feature right? As it stands right now with my WP I don't have to run an anti malware program. On my one Android device I should run one but I don't and ONLY use it as a Kindle/Kobo reader.

Games and notification center? I don't know too many people who buy a phone just to play games or even consider game availability when deciding. Even my teenage kids rarely, if ever, play games on their phones. The notification center would be a nice addition but the lack of it is hardly a deal breaker. Looking at my start screen and seeing what tiles have a number on them works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon