How is Android the most popular mobile OS ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My 8X lags and hangs up some. It is more fluid than my Rezound, but it has more stutters and lag. Lag can affect all platforms, it's all about what you are willing to live with.

You're correct. I suppose it also has something to do with a user looking for it. Most people on this forum are WP fans, who would be looking for issues on Android & iOS devices and not on WP. I use all 3 platforms and I like to think of myself as OS agnostic, and I like all 3. That said, my 1st preference is Android.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Every one of them lags. The gs3 and the HTC One do best. The gs4 is still a choppy mess.

In theory, the Nexus range shouldn't lag because they aren't burdened with a manufacturers GUI/skin/bloatware. However, I've never owned one or used one so can't comment with any degree of certainty, only what others do say about the Nexus phones. (See comments from tgp below).
I've a friend who has the HTC One and he reckons it doesn't lag. I'll be seeing him tomorrow so I will put him and his phone to the test.
My SGS3 lags amazingly bad sometimes, to the point of embarrassment as does the SGS4 which I've seen with my own two eyes.
The only phone that I've ever owned that has never lagged is my 920. It remains consistently smooth and lag free, even after seven months of ownership and a ton of apps and games installed (and quite a long start screen with plenty of tiles on display).

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
You're correct. I suppose it also has something to do with a user looking for it. Most people on this forum are WP fans, who would be looking for issues on Android & iOS devices and not on WP. I use all 3 platforms and I like to think of myself as OS agnostic, and I like all 3. That said, my 1st preference is Android.

I hated windows phone when I first used it. It was back on the HD7 and I quickly rushed back to my dell streak... Less than a week and I noticed the horrid lag and inconsistencies and came rushing back. I've since jumped back a dozen times because I like emulation, the atrix HD, HTC One, Galaxy S4 and most recently the nexus 4. The only one I might consider as a daily driver is the nexus 4 but my initial complaints have yet to been resolved

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what you guys do to make your Androids lag, especially the Nexus 4 since that's the one I have. Let me know and I'll try it if I can.

One thing I found with WP is that there is a limit to what you can do with it, due to available apps and how it restricts multitasking. This of course helps keep it smooth and stable. I wouldn't be surprised if some lag is happening with Androids when doing things that wouldn't even be possible on a WP.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Android does lag if you do too much on it like any smartphone os, but RAZR M has had no lag at all. If anything goes slow its an app that isn't properly coded.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know what you guys do to make your Androids lag, especially the Nexus 4 since that's the one I have. Let me know and I'll try it if I can.

One thing I found with WP is that there is a limit to what you can do with it, due to available apps and how it restricts multitasking. This of course helps keep it smooth and stable. I wouldn't be surprised if some lag is happening with Androids when doing things that wouldn't even be possible on a WP.

What made it lag most was ravensword, that game killed it. Other than that, the keyboard always has discernible delay, scrolling through a wall of text will do it and any use of voice control.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

All I need to do is open the gallery on my S3 then wait for it to load up, then wait some more. Once its loaded and I've finished with it I press back and wait again for a few seconds while the phone hangs then it will return back to the home screen but my weather widget will be missing but will return after a second or two.
So, just normal use of the phone will produce the lag

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As regards these apps on android according to most people being "very good quality" I honestly struggle to see what they are going on about. Quality is judged very superficially. The facebook app on android feel dated, it stutters, the scrolling is no where near as smooth as the one on WP, the Skype app is horrible. Yes it may have features which are missing on WP but the icons and text is so much smaller. The games are filled with adverts which distract you from the game, the email application is dire and the contacts synchronization is terrible. For those of us who are not developers and don't care for booting our phones and putting custom this and that on it, you cant have a better mobile OS than Windows phone.

There is a reason why people are on this forum, there is a reason why there are windows phone fans. Its because it is a quality product and people like it. It still needs to take off, MS and developers still need to do more to encourage more apps on the store and there are some silly features missing like the volume control which controls the music and ringing volume at once. These things will come.

Everyone one I have showed my phone to, people who are wanting to buy a new phone have all loved my windows phones and they have all been converted. This tell me that if MS and handset makers were to push out advertising on the level of android and more specifically the galaxy series Samsung's, that Windows phone market share would increase a lot.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's not kid ourselves, here. Android is a very good mobile OS, and has some great features that set it apart from other platforms. Google continues to innovate and will likely bring some interesting updates in its next version of Android (Key Lime Pie). The way Android goes about things appeals to many people. It is definitely the most customizable mobile OS out there, and yes, that can lead to bloat and clutter. I think if you're going to give Android a fair shot, you need to try a Nexus device to get the "pure" Android experience without all the extra carrier/OEM bloatware and UI layers.

That being said, I have decided I'm done with Android. My reasons for leaving are many, but the main reason is that Google's products and services are all geared towards harvesting data and information from individuals to serve up targeted ads to them. Many have no problem with this, but I just didn't feel comfortable owning one of their data collection devices (Galaxy Nexus) any longer. Besides, I prefer Microsoft services (Outlook.com, SkyDrive, Skype) over Google's, so it made sense for me to give Windows Phone a shot.

Overall, I've been impressed with my Lumia 521 in the week I've owned it. The Start Screen is a great combination of the tired old icon layout of iOS and the widget capabilities of Android into a sleek, tiled interface.

I am, however, a bit concerned about Microsoft's commitment to the Windows Phone platform. Their latest move of rolling out Skype video messaging to just about every platform EXCEPT Windows Phone has me scratching my head wondering what in the world they were thinking. Shouldn't they have done the exact opposite? How embarrassing.

Anyway, I'll be using this 521 for another 2-3 months before I make my final verdict and get a high-end smartphone.

When I used android again, nothing screamed "innovative" nor did it have any sophistication that WP has. As far as I can see, android is perfect for developers, or people who feel the need to install custom ROM and flash their androids because there quad core CPU running androids still lag and crash. MS

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Last time I counted, there were a couple cheap Android phones in my house.

They lagged, all right, but they were good enough. What I'm afraid would happen (and already has, IMO) was consumers would accept the crap thrown onto them and shut up.

Of course, this was also what happened with Windows years ago.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Android dominates the same reason Symbian dominated back in the day with Nokia behind it. True global scale with countless of variants and models with deep software support to local carriers, services, whatever.

Android software support for everything, everywhere is its strenght. Just example adding dual SIM asha made Nokia suddenly sell 18 million of those dual SIM phones in the next quarter, just to give some scale to "small things" like dual SIM support.

Just like Symbian, there's nothing stopping Android for many years to come to keep dominating before the software becomes a hot mess as the next big change in the industry appears, WP wont be it or any of the current products we see out there. That said neither should WP really target Android market.

I also think the pirating community that Symbial also had has its effect especially in Asia.

shelbi805

May 12, 2013
Visit site
(Just a little rant here) I personally HATE android with a passion!! And I will avoid at all cost using anything with it on.. I'm not a iPhone w**ker I've always had nokia phones the wp8 took some getting used to(still) android is like a disease in your phone that multiplies apps! I don't know how anyone understands what its doing. Only OS that needs a app to kill other apps because there everywhere

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Because it's open. Easiest answer to give. Any and every manufacturer can build on top of it, pretty much for free (no including development).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Because it's open. Easiest answer to give. Any and every manufacturer can build on top of it, pretty much for free (no including development).

I'm not sure that would necessarily be the reason. If that were the case, I think desktop Linux would have a much better market share than ~1.5%. Granted, the fork that is Android is very successful, and so are Linux servers; however, Windows dominates the desktop, with OS X a distant 2nd, and Linux almost a non-entity on the desktop.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Android does lag if you do too much on it like any smartphone os, but RAZR M has had no lag at all. If anything goes slow its an app that isn't properly coded.

That's just it; Windows Phone, and iPhone from what I've seen don't lag due to poorly-coded apps, unlike Android. My favorite keyboard on Android, Swiftkey X, has a horrible lag anytime an input field is entered; it's roughly a second. The stock keyboard on the other hand doesn't have this issue. I don't know what the issue with it is, and I'm sure there's some way to reduce/remove that lag but it's highly annoying. It also and furthers the point that Android's extendability via third parties, as it currently is is a liability as much as a benefit. It opens the door for instability and insecurity.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Android has a few things going for it, its more open and easier to get apps for. However, most apps I've used just dont compare to the apps on WP. I wish more people realized this.

Not counting app features ( that's on the devs) but multiplatform apps just seem so much smoother, nicer overall on WP. I have am Android and WP. I'll use the WP version of an app over the Android version any day.

Not sure why people like the look and feel of the Android OS either. Not very smooth nor pleasing to the eye.

In all reality, I believe despite its few flaws and missings, WP is am awesome OS. I wish more people would give it a try. I can't say much for the iPhone since I've never used it, but WP is hands down better than Android. Too bad there are just too many sheep in our world to see it

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
(Just a little rant here) I personally HATE android with a passion!! And I will avoid at all cost using anything with it on.. I'm not a iPhone w**ker I've always had nokia phones the wp8 took some getting used to(still) android is like a disease in your phone that multiplies apps! I don't know how anyone understands what its doing. Only OS that needs a app to kill other apps because there everywhere

Wow anger over a phone os?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's just it; Windows Phone, and iPhone from what I've seen don't lag due to poorly-coded apps, unlike Android. My favorite keyboard on Android, Swiftkey X, has a horrible lag anytime an input field is entered; it's roughly a second. The stock keyboard on the other hand doesn't have this issue. I don't know what the issue with it is, and I'm sure there's some way to reduce/remove that lag but it's highly annoying. It also and furthers the point that Android's extendability via third parties, as it currently is is a liability as much as a benefit. It opens the door for instability and insecurity.

I have seen plenty of iPhones lag windows phone I have not, as I only have one friend who has one everyone else around me has an android phone or an iPhone. There is no insecurity as well on Android. I have never in my life run into someone who had any problem with insecurity on their android phone. That not security thing about android needs to go away. Another thing that just proved my point of not coded properly apps. If there is some lag it is up to the developer to fix it.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have seen plenty of iPhones lag windows phone I have not, as I only have one friend who has one everyone else around me has an android phone or an iPhone. There is no insecurity as well on Android. I have never in my life run into someone who had any problem with insecurity on their android phone. That not security thing about android needs to go away. Another thing that just proved my point of not coded properly apps. If there is some lag it is up to the developer to fix it.

So much wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte