How is Android the most popular mobile OS ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend with a similar story. People think they're going to get an iPhone and are being lead by operators like lambs to the slaughter. Now people want to buy a Samsung and expect a Galaxy S4 experience from their Galaxy Ace.

Here is my friend's app list: Viber and Whatsapp! She is now getting a low memory warning and Viber is installed on a micro SD card.

LOTS of people on low-end Android devices are having an absolutely MISEARBLE time with thier smartphones.

Thats because their internal memory is low(think the Samsung Ace comes with just 200MB internal?). Their low end Android is cheaper than the cheapest Lumia(510 in my country)!! which says alot.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for not saying Fast. WP is slow! Everytime i multi-task i always stuck at Resuming... at least 5 second. Still people sayin' Windows Phone doesn't need high specs blah blah blah!!!

Posts like this just prove your ignorance.

First, as many have already mentioned, faster HW wouldn't really solve that issue... the problem is just developers not doing their job (impement fast resume) Your HW based solution works only in your imagination.

Second, WP doesn't and shouldn't engage in the specs race. What WP does need is higher performance hardware, but that has little to do with marketing focused spec sheets. More marketing targeting clueless geeks is something WP really doesn't need.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site

First, as many have already mentioned, faster HW wouldn't really solve that issue... the problem is just developers not doing their job (impement fast resume) Your HW based solution works only in your imagination.

Second, WP doesn't and shouldn't engage in the specs race. What WP does need is higher performance hardware, but that has little to do with marketing focused spec sheets. More marketing targeting clueless geeks is something WP really doesn't need.

Good point about specs. Specs are only one aspect of the device - you have to consider the overall experience. How does it actually perform when you use it? Android devices need quad core CPUs and 2 GB of RAM to run as smoothly as iPhones or high-end Windows Phones with dual core CPUs and 1 GB of RAM.

My Lumia 521 with a humble 1 GHz dual core CPU and 512 MB of RAM offers better and smoother overall performance than the Galaxy Nexus I used for a year.

Battery life is notably better, as well.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You just said grand theft auto was better than final fantasy 2. I've never seen a better way to invalidate yourself.

If you want a bunch of unnecessary complication... Err... Customizations, go android. If you want a smooth, fluid experience that you can rely on that won't go awry and is generally aesthetically appealing, go windows phone.

I was comparing Contra with GTA and Final Fantasy with Elder Scrolls. Nothing I said invalidates anything because it is true. 2D games are linear/limited and in general polished because you can't even move in 3D space. Games like GTA and Elder Scrolls give you all the freedom in the world but at the cost of performance with clipping issues, slowdowns galore, and glitches. Yet those games still get higher ratings, sales, and praise because people don't want boring and linear.

That is exactly what WP8/IOS is. Boring and one dimensional and Android isn't and is more popular despite the occasional redraw or stutter. It is smooth enough and it works.

The quickest way to invalidate your statements is to be obviously biased like yourself. If Android was really as garbage as you say, then it wouldn't be more popular period. Sure a majority of the population is stupid but **** from a toilet still can't outsell a steak no matter how stupid they are and how much you market ****.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I was comparing Contra with GTA and Final Fantasy with Elder Scrolls. Nothing I said invalidates anything because it is true. 2D games are linear/limited and in general polished because you can't even move in 3D space. Games like GTA and Elder Scrolls give you all the freedom in the world but at the cost of performance with clipping issues, slowdowns galore, and glitches. Yet those games still get higher ratings, sales, and praise because people don't want boring and linear.

That is exactly what WP8/IOS is. Boring and one dimensional and Android isn't and is more popular despite the occasional redraw or stutter. It is smooth enough and it works.

The quickest way to invalidate your statements is to be obviously biased like yourself. If Android was really as garbage as you say, then it wouldn't be more popular period. Sure a majority of the population is stupid but **** from a toilet still can't outsell a steak no matter how stupid they are and how much you market ****.

Because being the first reasonable alternative to the iPhone for two to three years and the first OS to target the low and midrange market in the U.S. didn't help at all.

Android is popular because it had an ecosystem when no one else did and it offered an array of hardware for OEMs to haphazardly toss the software onto.

For the record, Final Fantasy 2 received more solid 10s in gaming publications than Skyrim, not that I feel the two should be compared as western RPGs are inferior to JRPGs even to someone like me who loathes anime and most Japanese stylized things.

Android needs infinite amounts of customization to be functional, which is cool if you're one of those PC users who spent days getting tons of mods to remove all the glitches in it. I'll take a bug free and better experience in ff2 or even 13 since it's more linear than 2 but more beautiful than Skyrim.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Worst use case ever. In the scenario you provided Android is hardly the evolutionary of linear, they are just as linear as WP/iOS.

A better example would be :

Mass effect = WP
Skyrim = Android

Mass effect is closed, a little linear but more focused and engaging. Skyrim is endless and open world, but buggy beyond hell...and laggy when things heat up ;)

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Worst use case ever. In the scenario you provided Android is hardly the evolutionary of linear, they are just as linear as WP/iOS.

A better example would be :

Mass effect = WP
Skyrim = Android

Mass effect is closed, a little linear but more focused and engaging. Skyrim is endless and open world, but buggy beyond hell...and laggy when things heat up ;)

Definitely a more justified comparison, kudos.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Guys - when was the last time you used an Android device? 2010? Buggy beyond hell? Laggy? I suggest you check out the Nexus 4 or the HTC One for a month and then report back. I frequently switch between my HTC One and my beloved Lumia 920 and what I notice most is just how much faster the UI is on the One. Everything LOOKS fluid on WP8 due to the transition animations (which, frankly, are a tad annoying at times). However, app loading times are far behind the HTC One and there are apps that lag on both devices (like the new E! app).

And buggy beyond hell? Come ON. I've yet to witness a reboot on the HTC One and I can't even remember when I last saw an app crash. It's stable as a rock and completely quirk-free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Here we go again....

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the whole "Every Android device is laggy" in 2013 shows that you haven't picked up any Android device in awhile. Yes, it took them awhile to get "consistent", but performance is much better than it was 2 years ago. Do I get an occasional lag on my LG Optimus G? Yes, but I did as well on my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 5. Trust me, I used to be anti-Android for a long time, but I can admit that performance is MUCH better now

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think the whole "Every Android device is laggy" in 2013 shows that you haven't picked up any Android device in awhile. Yes, it took them awhile to get "consistent", but performance is much better than it was 2 years ago. Do I get an occasional lag on my LG Optimus G? Yes, but I did as well on my Lumia 900 and my iPhone 5. Trust me, I used to be anti-Android for a long time, but I can admit that performance is MUCH better now
That's what I was thinking, they are talking about android phones like they still using an OG Evo from 2010.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think Fast Resume only works if the app is pinned to the start screen.

I know what you are trying to say, and that isn't quite wrong, but it's not quite correct either. There is really no relationship at all between being pinned to the start screen and the ability to "fast resume". It works perfectly well without a live tile. For example, "fast resume" can also kick in when the app is re-launched from the app list. The live tile is just the most common way for "fast resume" to kick in.

Here we go again....

Hey, I'm just responding to FUD which really needs to get hammered out of the average consumer's mind. It's counter productive for everyone.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I know what you are trying to say, and that isn't quite wrong, but it's not quite correct either. There is really no relationship at all between being pinned to the start screen and the ability to "fast resume". It works perfectly well without a live tile. For example, "fast resume" can also kick in when the app is re-launched from the app list. The live tile is just the most common way for "fast resume" to kick in.
Really? Because I've always wondered why it needs to be pinned to fast resume. Good to know if it can be done via app list.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys - when was the last time you used an Android device? 2010? Buggy beyond hell? Laggy? I suggest you check out the Nexus 4 or the HTC One for a month and then report back. I frequently switch between my HTC One and my beloved Lumia 920 and what I notice most is just how much faster the UI is on the One. Everything LOOKS fluid on WP8 due to the transition animations (which, frankly, are a tad annoying at times). However, app loading times are far behind the HTC One and there are apps that lag on both devices (like the new E! app).

And buggy beyond hell? Come ON. I've yet to witness a reboot on the HTC One and I can't even remember when I last saw an app crash. It's stable as a rock and completely quirk-free.

GS4, nexus 4, LG optimus G all in the last few months. I also played around on my cousin's One and low and behold, it was still a buggy, fragmented device. What kind of flagship devices can't have all the apps or play all the games that the OS has to offer? I still have no trouble making any of them lag and some of the most well-built games still crash because of heavy differentiation in hardware. When you generalize software, you sacrifice performance. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Really? Because I've always wondered why it needs to be pinned to fast resume. Good to know if it can be done via app list.

Yeah, really ;-)

That approach is even mentioned explicitly in an MSDN article on fast resume:

"If the app is suspended and the user relaunches the app, such as by tapping on the app name in the app list..."

There are other ways to have fast-resume kick in as well, but they are more cryptic and I doubt people are interested, so I won't go into those details here. Anyway, whether a live tile is pinned is completely irrelevant. Hope that clears things up.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

I definitely agree with this. Before it broke, my Nexus 4 (I'm probably going to get a new one) was one of my backup phones. And yes, it occasionally lagged (but so does my iPhone 4S and my 920). Every OS will hiccup sometimes. But especially with jellybean Android has come a long way from the lagfest it used to be. I left Android at gingerbread for that very reason. But now I could pick up an iPhone, a flagship Android device (preferably a nexus device), or a WP and I could get by just fine with any of them.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Well either my Xperia was defective or I'm imagining things but for a device which is considered the most powerful phone in the industry right now it really disappointed me. There was always lag of some sort somewhere. The menus, especially the scrolling and zooming on Chrome is dreadful and no where near as creamy as windows phone. Maybe the GS4 or HTC One are better but it just shows that there is no consistency throughout android. Despite the lag or no lag, the OS is just too fussy, too busy, fonts are too small, everything requires 2 or 3 more steps than windows phone. Windows phone menus, fonts, text, animations throughout the entire phone are consistent to each other, they all match. That is not the case with android though.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
GS4, nexus 4, LG optimus G all in the last few months. I also played around on my cousin's One and low and behold, it was still a buggy, fragmented device. What kind of flagship devices can't have all the apps or play all the games that the OS has to offer? I still have no trouble making any of them lag and some of the most well-built games still crash because of heavy differentiation in hardware. When you generalize software, you sacrifice performance. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

The GS4 is a laggy mess, I can confirm that (my wife has one). The reason why not all apps work on the new top phones is the fact that not all apps have been updated to Full HD yet. The same happened when the first retina iPhone was launched and the same will also happen when WP8 starts supporting higher resolutions.

And as for lag: sorry, I just can't replicate that on my own HTC One and the device has consistently been described as being completely fluid and fast, so I kind of have to file that under ****** talk.

Anyway, I still prefer WP8's clear design to the messy, nervous mess Android is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo