How is Android the most popular mobile OS ? Honestly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Office, Xbox Live integration, tons of Nokia stuff that other OSes simply don't have, there's tons. Name three
features android has that Windows Phone doesn't? I'm interested. I'm talking things that make the phone more functional to an average user, not menial garbage and bloat.

With your gs4, open up a nice wall of text site, scroll down and while scrolling hit home, severe lag. I don't have a note 2 but I assume it's the same. I don't consider the gs4 high end because it runs so poorly. I was truly disappointed as I spent 740 on the European version.

None of those launchers are even close and that apparent Windows Phone 8 fake launcher is a joke, nowhere close.

Hide it pro - allows you to hide texts, pictures, even Web browsing from prying eyes

Quick toggles - change brightness, turn on hot spot, adjust volume all without even leaving the app you're using

Custom ROMs

Multiview - run 2 apps simultaneously

Google Now

Overall Google integration

Wide variety of keyboards so you can pick the one you like

Voice control

Tethering for free on unlimited plans with a root app

Ability to change the entire interface at will

More games

Ability to select your sms app

Ability to select your camera app

Not to say windows phone 8 is bad by any stretch of the imagination because it isn't, it's far from bad and I'd take it over an iphone or a low end Android any day, but a good Android trumps it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Aside from your google integration point (which I don't agree with as I don't like my data being mined) all you offered up was apps, most of which WP8 has an alternative to. I was never a phone gamer until WP8. Not saying android doesn't have good ones but when windows phone gets an exclusive it's usually epic.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Aside from your google integration point (which I don't agree with as I don't like my data being mined) all you offered up was apps, most of which WP8 has an alternative to. I was never a phone gamer until WP8. Not saying android doesn't have good ones but when windows phone gets an exclusive it's usually epic.

Ok, so go ahead and name the apps that replicate the functionality of those points I showed.

I'd LOVE to see this

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Hustleman - there are many people who dislike Android BECAUSE they've used it on one or more devices and found there have been performance issues on EVERY Android device they've owned. As a personal example, I've owned three Android devices (check the image in my signature), two smartphones and one tablet. BOTH of the smartphones were considered high-end devices at the time they were released, and two of my three devices (one of the smartphones and the tablet) were either pure Android or near-pure Android. Despite all of these factors, ALL THREE of these devices has had some sort of performance issue that has significantly distracted from my enjoyment of the device. Actually, I bought the pure Android device (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) BECAUSE of the issues I had with my first Android smartphone (Motorola Droid 2). Did using a pure Android device fully solve the problems? Nope. Considering Google can't seem to solve the performance issues with Android, I've decided to follow the "three strikes and you're out" rule and say "Hasta la vista, baby" to Android. (I should note my aggravation with Android is not a Google issue; I have a chromebook, and I think THAT device is great. Actually, I can't wait until Google replaces Android with Chrome OS on smartphones...which is probably fairly likely once mobile devices can support true desktop browsers or at least desktop browser performance. Ironically, that's probably the Android fanboys greatest fear - an attack from inside the Google tent - but I digress.)

I should note that my first smartphone (the aforementioned Droid 2) was an Android. At the time I bought it (December 2010), I thought I'd never want to buy an Apple device just because Apple is Apple, had read that most people thought Android was superior to Blackberry OS, and also thought I wouldn't want to ever buy a smartphone without a physical keyboard. (I was also barely aware of Windows Phone at the time; Microsoft had just released WP7, but didn't have any devices on Verizon yet.) I WANTED to be a strong Android advocate. But after using the Droid 2 for a number of months, its performance issues became a real headache, and I became a lot more interested in the other mobile operating systems out there. I also didn't want to become a true ****** and bash other operating systems without having ever used them. Because I have a decent amount of discretionary income and money saved up (and also have a ridiculous smartphone fetish :smile:), I could test out the other mobile operating systems by buying different smartphones (and tablets). I bought a Windows Phone. I bought an iPhone. I bought a Blackberry Playbook (good move) and the a high-end Bold (bad move). Heck, I even bought a couple webOS devices (RIP webOS). And you know what? I found out that other mobile OS functioned a lot better and fit what I wanted better than Android, even if many of those smartphones didn't have physical keyboards (which I'd still prefer to have, but it's no longer a must). Windows Phone is much smoother than Android. Apple's iOS, which part of me didn't want to like, is much smoother than Android. (I'm still trying to determine which mobile OS is smoother IMO, WP7/8 or iOS.) Blackberry Tablet OS and webOS, while not as smooth (especially the latter) as WP or iOS, had more appealing user interfaces than Android. Quite frankly, I found that Android was my second-least favorite mobile OS of all the operating systems I used, ahead of only Blackberry 7, which was seemingly invented when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and smartphone technical capabilities were lower.

The bottom line is I was able and willing to use various mobile OS, and because of that I have a more informed opinion than most people about mobile OS. And IMO, Android is a piece of crap, no matter what the phone looks like, no matter what apps are installed (and some of those apps, like Google Maps, are very good). Like I said above, I've given Android three tries and they haven't succeeded with any of them, so I see no point in giving any future tries unless I'm absolutely forced to. I will steer smartphone novices away from Android and toward WP8 or iOS (and possibly BB10 in the future once I buy and get a chance to use BB10). And I do that not because I'm some sort of ****** or have Android hate, but because I've used Android and think most people who use it will eventually get frustrated with it, like I did.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hustleman - there are many people who dislike Android BECAUSE they've used it on one or more devices and found there have been performance issues on EVERY Android device they've owned. As a personal example, I've owned three Android devices (check the image in my signature), two smartphones and one tablet. BOTH of the smartphones were considered high-end devices at the time they were released, and two of my three devices (one of the smartphones and the tablet) were either pure Android or near-pure Android. Despite all of these factors, ALL THREE of these devices has had some sort of performance issue that has significantly distracted from my enjoyment of the device. Actually, I bought the pure Android device (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) BECAUSE of the issues I had with my first Android smartphone (Motorola Droid 2). Did using a pure Android device fully solve the problems? Nope. Considering Google can't seem to solve the performance issues with Android, I've decided to follow the "three strikes and you're out" rule and say "Hasta la vista, baby" to Android. (I should note my aggravation with Android is not a Google issue; I have a chromebook, and I think THAT device is great. Actually, I can't wait until Google replaces Android with Chrome OS on smartphones...which is probably fairly likely once mobile devices can support true desktop browsers or at least desktop browser performance. Ironically, that's probably the Android fanboys greatest fear - an attack from inside the Google tent - but I digress.)

I should note that my first smartphone (the aforementioned Droid 2) was an Android. At the time I bought it (December 2010), I thought I'd never want to buy an Apple device just because Apple is Apple, had read that most people thought Android was superior to Blackberry OS, and also thought I wouldn't want to ever buy a smartphone without a physical keyboard. (I was also barely aware of Windows Phone at the time; Microsoft had just released WP7, but didn't have any devices on Verizon yet.) I WANTED to be a strong Android advocate. But after using the Droid 2 for a number of months, its performance issues became a real headache, and I became a lot more interested in the other mobile operating systems out there. I also didn't want to become a true ****** and bash other operating systems without having ever used them. Because I have a decent amount of discretionary income and money saved up (and also have a ridiculous smartphone fetish :smile:), I could test out the other mobile operating systems by buying different smartphones (and tablets). I bought a Windows Phone. I bought an iPhone. I bought a Blackberry Playbook (good move) and the a high-end Bold (bad move). Heck, I even bought a couple webOS devices (RIP webOS). And you know what? I found out that other mobile OS functioned a lot better and fit what I wanted better than Android, even if many of those smartphones didn't have physical keyboards (which I'd still prefer to have, but it's no longer a must). Windows Phone is much smoother than Android. Apple's iOS, which part of me didn't want to like, is much smoother than Android. (I'm still trying to determine which mobile OS is smoother IMO, WP7/8 or iOS.) Blackberry Tablet OS and webOS, while not as smooth (especially the latter) as WP or iOS, had more appealing user interfaces than Android. Quite frankly, I found that Android was my second-least favorite mobile OS of all the operating systems I used, ahead of only Blackberry 7, which was seemingly invented when dinosaurs ruled the Earth and smartphone technical capabilities were lower.

The bottom line is I was able and willing to use various mobile OS, and because of that I have a more informed opinion than most people about mobile OS. And IMO, Android is a piece of crap, no matter what the phone looks like, no matter what apps are installed (and some of those apps, like Google Maps, are very good). Like I said above, I've given Android three tries and they haven't succeeded with any of them, so I see no point in giving any future tries unless I'm absolutely forced to. I will steer smartphone novices away from Android and toward WP8 or iOS (and possibly BB10 in the future once I buy and get a chance to use BB10). And I do that not because I'm some sort of ****** or have Android hate, but because I've used Android and think most people who use it will eventually get frustrated with it, like I did.

Wow, that's a lot.

Well I've used Android for years and have had no performance issues in my Galaxy s III, note 2, and even the s4 I played with (after the update)v so I really don't see where you're coming from.

Android is just a simple to use platform with great performance on a high end phone.

Personally I think wp8 is snappier but the lack of capabilities is why I don't think it'll be my daily phone for too long.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

Still waiting for those alternatives.

If you can just give me an alternative to "hide it pro" I'll be happy

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had almost all OS (From Symbian to Ios) an after using all of them, my experience couldn't be better on WP 8...! It has a solid performance (like ios) more customizable (i love tiles) and some Android features...

That?s why i love: "WP Software + Nokia Harware" :love:

Regards!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for those alternatives.

If you can just give me an alternative to "hide it pro" I'll be happy

I think pic lock ultimate is valid enough. I use it to hide stuff I don't want my kid getting into. Tether X for tethering, there's those tile apps that some people like to use for major customization though I prefer the simplicity, you've still yet to name a generally useful feature that Android has over Windows Phone. Root might be cool for the 1.x% of users who even know what it is but the rest of them are just stuck with ugly lagdroids largely sporting Touchwiz which hasn't had a valid aesthetic update since Gingerbread. At least HTC makes an effort.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I think pic lock ultimate is valid enough. I use it to hide stuff I don't want my kid getting into. Tether X for tethering, there's those tile apps that some people like to use for major customization though I prefer the simplicity, you've still yet to name a generally useful feature that Android has over Windows Phone. Root might be cool for the 1.x% of users who even know what it is but the rest of them are just stuck with ugly lagdroids largely sporting Touchwiz which hasn't had a valid aesthetic update since Gingerbread. At least HTC makes an effort.

Pic lock ultimate hides pictures, videos, texts, and does incognito browsing?

If not then it isn't valid enough

Does tether X allow you to start tethering in just 2 moves without leaving the app you're using? If not, it isn't.

I've named several features android has over Windows Phone. If you read my comments you'll see the long list I wrote

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Pic lock ultimate has a two star rating in the UK Store and doesn't even come anywhere near to Hide it pro for Android which is also a free app compared to Pic lock ultimate which is a paid app.
And did you deliberately ignore the three things I listed earlier that Android can do by default that WP 8 can't?

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Pic lock ultimate has a two star rating in the UK Store and doesn't even come anywhere near to Hide it pro for Android which is also a free app compared to Pic lock ultimate which is a paid app.
And did you deliberately ignore the three things I listed earlier that Android can do by default that WP 8 can't?

You know what he's going to do - make it seem like it's a bad thing to not have those features or act like they aren't wanted.

I see it all the time with iphone people

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
What three would those be?

If you refer back to message #140 I responded to your post asking for three things that Android has over WP 8 and for your convenience I'll repost those three things here:

WiFi direct, VPN and a file manager are three things I can think of right off the bat that WP 8 doesn't have but Android does.

Cheers.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
If you refer back to message #140 I responded to your post asking for three things that Android has over WP 8 and for your convenience I'll repost those three things here:

WiFi direct, VPN and a file manager are three things I can think of right off the bat that WP 8 doesn't have but Android does.

Cheers.
VPN would be nice, a file manager would make the only secure OS insecure and what level of P2P are you wanting because it could refer back to the file manager thing.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
VPN would be nice, a file manager would make the only secure OS insecure and what level of P2P are you wanting because it could refer back to the file manager thing.

I mentioned WiFi direct which acts similar to Bluetooth and is a great way of sharing large files between devices using the phone's WiFi connections without having to join a home network.

Wi-Fi Direct

I've used it to share pictures with friends on their Android phones and the pictures transferred almost immediately. Bluetooth sharing is old technology now.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I mentioned WiFi direct which acts similar to Bluetooth and is a great way of sharing large files between devices using the phone's WiFi connections without having to join a home network.

Wi-Fi Direct

I've used it to share pictures with friends on their Android phones and the pictures transferred almost immediately. Bluetooth sharing is old technology now.

The thing is, you can't open up that option and keep the OS as the only secure mobile OS as it'd be too easy to launch all different kinds of exploits via that method. It's a nice idea and all, I seldom have friends on the same WiFi network as me but I could see the use i suppose. It promotes insecurity though.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, you can't open up that option and keep the OS as the only secure mobile OS as it'd be too easy to launch all different kinds of exploits via that method. It's a nice idea and all, I seldom have friends on the same WiFi network as me but I could see the use i suppose. It promotes insecurity though.

Nah mate, it's as safe as houses. It uses WPA2 security protocol and replaces Bluetooth as a transfer method. You don't need to join an existing network to use WiFi direct because you just create your own which other people with WiFi direct devices can join (with your permission) or you can join theirs. It's especially good for sharing larger files like videos that you've taken with your phone. Imagine trying to share a 100 MB video over Bluetooth! Do it over a WiFi connection directly with another device and it's transferred in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss