Which device should I buy: 928 vs 822 vs Q10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at the Lumia 928 and 822 and I am unsure which one is best for me or if I should wait for a newer model. Also, I would be transitioning from BlackBerry with Windows 8 PCs so any advice on how I would adapt would help. Possibly comparing to Q10. Hopefully I have posted this in the right section.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You can always wait for a newer model. No new Windows Phones are planned for Verizon for at least the next few months. The difference between the 822 and 928 is significant. And since you are posting this on a Windows forum, most people here will say the WP over BB.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I am looking at the Lumia 928 and 822 and I am unsure which one is best for me or if I should wait for a newer model. Also, I would be transitioning from BlackBerry with Windows 8 PCs so any advice on how I would adapt would help. Possibly comparing to Q10. Hopefully I have posted this in the right section.

The 822 and 928 have the same CPU and the 822 has a removable battery and memory card slot, basic features every serious smartphone should have.

The 928 will give you a better experience due to better camera, screen, and other little things. Just stay near a charger and outlet and don't need any more than 32gb and you'll be fine

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The Q10 cost too much for what its worth

That has been my assessment so far. I am ready to move to Windows Phone but don't know how to anticipate the change from the core email and keyboard I am used to. Being able to interact with my device for email and communication (skype, lync, etc) is first on the list. Second comes in battery, browser and integrated search.

Last edited:

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Email is smooth and simple on WP. Just add the accounts and link them in one inbox if you want. WP keyboard is the best.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The 822 and 928 have the same CPU and the 822 has a removable battery and memory card slot, basic features every serious smartphone should have.

The 928 will give you a better experience due to better camera, screen, and other little things. Just stay near a charger and outlet and don't need any more than 32gb and you'll be fine

Both the memory slot and removable battery or good battery life are facilities I have been accustom to so I see you suggest the 822. Someone recommended the 928 to me instead so I was interested to know the exact reasons.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Email is smooth and simple on WP. Just add the accounts and link them in one inbox if you want. WP keyboard is the best.

When you say email is smooth and simple does this encompass the way the entire "hub" is presented or just specific inboxes? I have my doubt on the keyboard so I will adopt the wait and see.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
uh you don't need to stay near a power outlet with the 928, its got one of the best battery life out of all the Windows Phones. But it is in fact much larger, wireless charging built in, beautiful screen, #1 smartphone camera IN THE WORLD, runs Windows Phone (DUH YAY), and its pretty sexy.

Out of those three, 928. Q10 is too much money for what it is (and no resale value lol) and the 928 just offers more than the 822.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're set on Windows Phone I would go with the 928. The battery life has been great for me. Having a MicroSD slot would be nice, but I don't worry about filling it up like I did with the 8X and its 16GB.

But if you like to have a lot of media on your phone then you may want to opt for the 822.

Regardless of which one you choose they both have the same awesome keyboard which is second to only the BlackBerry 10 keyboard in my opinion.

I absolutely hate text selection and cursor movement on Windows Phone. BlackBerry 10 (especially 10.1) blows it out of the water on this front.

The camera is nice, and fun to play with. I haven't taken the time to get any great pictures with it, but there are plenty of amazing shots on this forum you can check out to see how awesome it is.

With that said, I'm not sure why everyone dislikes the Q10. I think it is a great device. I feel it is just as capable as the Lumias if not more so. I think the BB10 browser is better than IE (and not because of Flash, I don't use that unless I have to). Like I said before, the text selection and cursor positioning is miles ahead of WP8.

I much prefer the BB10 multitasking to WP8. It drives me nuts to have the resuming screen pop up when I'm trying to switch quickly between apps to get something done.

The Q10's battery life has been amazing, however both phones get me through the day without any problems.

I won't say it is an easy choice, though. That's why I ended up with both. -=P

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
First you need to decide if you like BB10 or Windows Phone 8. After that, I would choose the 928 if you go with WP8

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If you're set on Windows Phone I would go with the 928.

[...]

Regardless of which one you choose they both have the same awesome keyboard which is second to only the BlackBerry 10 keyboard in my opinion.

[...]

With that said, I'm not sure why everyone dislikes the Q10. I think it is a great device. I feel it is just as capable as the Lumias if not more so. I think the BB10 browser is better than IE (and not because of Flash, I don't use that unless I have to). Like I said before, the text selection and cursor positioning is miles ahead of WP8.

I much prefer the BB10 multitasking to WP8. It drives me nuts to have the resuming screen pop up when I'm trying to switch quickly between apps to get something done.

The Q10's battery life has been amazing, however both phones get me through the day without any problems.

I won't say it is an easy choice, though. That's why I ended up with both. -=P

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
I like having removable media as SkyDrive has not been an option for me so far but it seems I will get by just fine. Since the battery life on a 928 holds itself under decent usage perhaps I will consider the device more now. I had not given text selection much thought (perhaps as I am used to a trackpad) but I will accept your advice on the virtual keyboard in this regard. Multitasking is something I am not too worried about as long as it functions in a reasonable fashion.

I would like to hear your opinion on how the integrated search/voice command function between the two platforms for internet and device search. I use voice commands (read Google search button) in the off occasion I don't want to open and type something in an inter-connected app. Also, when you say the BB10 browser is better, is it solely marginal or is there some distinctive reason for this? Any thing you like about the IE browser?

I take the remaining functions as is because most phones take decent pictures or have good maps. I will need to find a replacement for BB Traffic/Travel however. It is not an easy choice indeed but having a Windows 8 PC makes me consider WP8 first. I am still wondering how PCs fit into this having BBDM.

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
First you need to decide if you like BB10 or Windows Phone 8. After that, I would choose the 928 if you go with WP8

I am still at the 70/30 point for my next device to be WP so I am shaking down that last doubt. I still am concerned about how emails and memos would operate on the device and PC. Using Outlook desktop and my Hotmail account in conjunction already, the calender and address book in Outlook (or is it the People tile?) should function as desired.

Any reason for the 928 or just by the fact it is a higher tier device?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am still at the 70/30 point for my next device to be WP so I am shaking down that last doubt. I still am concerned about how emails and memos would operate on the device and PC. Using Outlook desktop and my Hotmail account in conjunction already, the calender and address book should function as desired.

I know that for memos, using OneNote works really well. Plus you can pull those up on your desktop. Emails, I haven't used a windows device since wp7 and for me, I got emails a little later than other phones but not too much of a delay.

Sent from a device I love using Tapatalk 4

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
uh you don't need to stay near a power outlet with the 928, its got one of the best battery life out of all the Windows Phones. But it is in fact much larger, wireless charging built in, beautiful screen, #1 smartphone camera IN THE WORLD, runs Windows Phone (DUH YAY), and its pretty sexy.

Out of those three, 928. Q10 is too much money for what it is (and no resale value lol) and the 928 just offers more than the 822.

If you're a heavy user you do.

My coworker us the biggest windows phone fan and he has to charge twice a day.

His only complaint is Nokia botching the removable battery. He had the lumia 822 first and liked it, even had a spare battery and charger to make it easier to just pop another battery in and instantly be at 100% again but he didn't think the battery would be a big deal with the 928 but alas he was wrong.

Notice I said HEAVY USE, not light use.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I like having removable media as SkyDrive has not been an option for me so far but it seems I will get by just fine. Since the battery life on a 928 holds itself under decent usage perhaps I will consider the device more now. I had not given text selection much thought (perhaps as I am used to a trackpad) but I will accept your advice on the virtual keyboard in this regard. Multitasking is something I am not too worried about as long as it functions in a reasonable fashion.

I would like to hear your opinion on how the integrated search/voice command function between the two platforms for internet and device search. I use voice commands (read Google search button) in the off occasion I don't want to open and type something in an inter-connected app. Also, when you say the BB10 browser is better, is it solely marginal or is there some distinctive reason for this? Any thing you like about the IE browser?

I take the remaining functions as is because most phones take decent pictures or have good maps. I will need to find a replacement for BB Traffic/Travel however. It is not an easy choice indeed but having a Windows 8 PC makes me consider WP8 first. I am still wondering how PCs fit into this having BBDM.

I don't use voice command features on any platform, so I can't say if one is better than the other.

As for the browser, on the performance side they are about equal. I seem to have fewer rendering issues with BB10, though.
I have only come across one issue that frustrated me with IE. I was selling a phone on Swappa and someone bought it. I wasn't home and only had my Lumia on me. I went to log in to respond to the buyer, but I was unable to.

Now, it may be my fault for using Facebook as my log in (opposed to Google or another method), but it is what I initially chose and I'm stuck with it.
I tried switching between desktop and mobile, but nothing worked. I would tap the log in with Facebook link and it pops up a blank page.
Luckily it wasn't a time sensitive issue... but it could have been, which is what bugs me. Also, it is the only website I have come across that this has happened. But I can't say for sure that it won't on another site in the future.
Later I tried logging in from my Z10 and it worked without a problem.

I don't find anything exceptional about IE compared to BB10. Most of the time it gets the job done.

I'm using Windows 8 as well, but I'm still using it like a Windows 7 PC... and that may be why I don't see Windows 8 being a reason to choose WP8 over other platforms at this point.
If there are clear advantages to Windows 8+Windows Phone 8 that I am missing out on I would appreciate someone letting me know. -=)

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As for the browser, on the performance side they are about equal. I seem to have fewer rendering issues with BB10, though.
I have only come across one issue that frustrated me with IE. I was selling a phone on Swappa and someone bought it. I wasn't home and only had my Lumia on me. I went to log in to respond to the buyer, but I was unable to.

[...]

I don't find anything exceptional about IE compared to BB10. Most of the time it gets the job done.

I'm using Windows 8 as well, but I'm still using it like a Windows 7 PC... and that may be why I don't see Windows 8 being a reason to choose WP8 over other platforms at this point.
If there are clear advantages to Windows 8+Windows Phone 8 that I am missing out on I would appreciate someone letting me know. -=)
I have noticed that some websites feel like rejecting Firefox and other Internet Explorer so perhaps the same is occurring on mobile. In that case, I guess IE on WP will suit my needs just as well. The only thing that comes to mind is notifications on WP will be a sore subject as far as I recall.

There is Windows Phone tile on Windows 8 so I am wondering how closely that resembles BBDM. Backing/Syncing up my data, in some form, will yield me that piece of mind. I wonder if that is to do with the People tile or Outlook 2013's address book.

It seems in the phone comparisons, the 822 has the edge for having a replaceable battery. I trust Nokia so hardware variations beyond a certain point are more superficial than I would want. I haven't found a reason to want the 928.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the 928 has a larger, nicer screen than the 822.

I just bought a 928 and started using it two days ago. Based on that limited usage, I'd say it has very solid battery life for a 4G LTE device. (I also have an Apple iPhone 5, and the battery life appears similar, perhaps a bit of an edge to the Lumia 928, despite the fact I have some live tiles on my home screen. The iPhone 5 itself has relatively good battery life for a 4G LTE device, at least compared to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but it pales in comparison to the iPhone 4.)

One important thing I'll note is that if you are accustomed to pre-Blackberry 10 devices, Windows Phones (and also iPhones and to a lesser degree newer Android devices) don't require reboots very often at all and really don't need battery pulls for rebooting. (I don't have a BB10 device yet so I can't comment on how those devices perform compared to WP8 devices; my understanding is BB10 devices are also much better in this regard than pre-BB10 devices.) The reboots I've needed with my WP7 and now WP8 devices have been related to live tiles not updating automatically (though the apps still work fine if you open them), not the phone itself locking up or functioning poorly.

One final thing I'll note is that the People Hub is a great, great feature for integrating all of your e-mail and social networking accounts. IMO WP7/8 is the best mobile OS available in terms of personal contacts integration, and it is aesthetically pleasing to boot. If you like the People Hub on your Windows 8 computer, you'll like just as much, probably more actually, on your WP8 smartphone.

P.S. IMO the screen on the Q10 is too small. If I were to buy a BB10 device - and I intend to later this year - I'd buy one with a larger screen (i.e. the Z10 currently or perhaps the A10 later this year). Having a modern mobile OS on a screen smaller than 3.5" doesn't make much sense, even if it includes a physical keyboard, but that's just my opinion.

ooklah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that some websites feel like rejecting Firefox and other Internet Explorer so perhaps the same is occurring on mobile. In that case, I guess IE on WP will suit my needs just as well. The only thing that comes to mind is notifications on WP will be a sore subject as far as I recall.

There is Windows Phone tile on Windows 8 so I am wondering how closely that resembles BBDM. Backing/Syncing up my data, in some form, will yield me that piece of mind. I wonder if that is to do with the People tile or Outlook 2013's address book.

It seems in the phone comparisons, the 822 has the edge for having a replaceable battery. I trust Nokia so hardware variations beyond a certain point are more superficial than I would want. I haven't found a reason to want the 928.

Ah, the Windows Phone tile does not resemble BBDM at all. When your phone is plugged in it allows you to sync music and photos to your phone, then from your phone to your PC (if you go in and select each individual photo/music album). Unless I have missed it there is no all-in-one back up that moves your whole device into an archive onto your PC. It also has a link to the Windows Phone market.

That being said, BlackBerry Desktop Manager is no longer being used. BlackBerry Link is what you have to use with the BB10 phones. It does have back up and restore capabilities, but it doesn't give you granular control over the things you want to back up like BBDM did. It is almost an all or nothing deal. You can choose between Application Data, Media, and Settings or a combination of the three. Which isn't too bad, but I do wish I could drill into Application Data and choose what I want to save.

I'd say if all else is equal except the removable battery and microsd slot between the 928 and 822, then the 822 is probably the way to go.

CHIP72, BlackBerry 10 has taken care of the need for reboots and battery pulls. My Z10 had rebooting issues initially, but that has been fixed in an update (that Verizon has NOT gotten around to releasing - thank goodness for OS leaks).
My Q10 has been rock solid. I have done all kinds of unspeakable things to it since I got it and I have yet had the need to reboot it. The screen is small, yes, but it isn't that bad and it gets the job done. Of course this is coming from a guy who preferred his Bold 9930 to his Galaxy Nexus and the screen size difference wasn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa