820 or 8X

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 520 a few weeks ago and fell in love with the WP platform. Currently selling it and some other things on ebay which should fetch ?200.

I will then be looking to but either a 820 or 8X. What would people recommend and why? The 8X seems the better phones but I'd lose the Nokia advantage (updates and apps) with it.

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I personally own a 8x and love it. I moved from iphone to the 8x and will never look back. Ya the 8x may not have that Nokia advantage but the hardware is brilliant and its so far a reliable phone. I have found no faults with it and really love the beats audio.

ali saraf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I own an 8x and in my opinion you htc doesn't care about their devices. get a lumia and experience the best of wp.

Last edited by a moderator:

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah, sure go for lumia ... Its like Nexus in Android platform ... Great updates, future perspective, exclusive apps.....

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
When choosing a Windows Phone. Getting the Nokia Lumia is a must. Nokia's huge suite of exclusive apps add so much to the Windows Phone experience.
If you can avail a Lumia 822, I suggest you get it.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Went for the 8x in the end. Was able to get it new for ?150 including a philips Bluetooth speaker. Seemed too good to pass up as a 820 new would set me back at least ?50 more.

Not sure if i did the right thing...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Went for the 8x in the end. Was able to get it new for ?150 including a philips Bluetooth speaker. Seemed too good to pass up as a 820 new would set me back at least ?50 more.

Not sure if i did the right thing...

The good news for you is that all the HERE applications are available to all WP now so you won't miss out. :)
Nokia to update and release HERE apps for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones | Windows Phone Central

Considering GDR2 is just around the corner the main thing you'll miss out now is the Amber update which, though nothing fantastic, is a nice add-on.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so got a bit of a problem.

Bought a new HTC 8X at ?159 Buy-It-Now on ebay but have also won a Red (as new) Lumia 820 for ?190 which means I have to pay ?349 despite setting myself a budget of ?200 (the amount I hoped to raise from selling my Lumia 520 and some other things lying about the house).
My auctions are about to close which should net me roughly

?87 for Nokia Lumia 520 (current high bid, 50 minutes to go)
?25 for Nexus 7 with cracked screen (already received)
?51 for Nokia Lumia 800 with faulty speaker and microphone (current high bid, 50 minutes to go)
?41 for HTC Radar (current high bid, 50 minutes to go)
?100 for my PC – no longer ever since I bought an ultrabook with my student loan)

Total ?304

So basically I need to find about ?50/60 or decide which one to keep and sell the other.

Anyone got a good idea on how to raise ?50/60 or the best way to resell one of the phones (and which one you think I will get close to my purchase price for). I also got a free Philips Bluetooth speaker with the 8X.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
For those who are interested the final auction amounts are:

?87 for Nokia Lumia 520 (current high bid, 50 minutes to go)
?25 for Nexus 7 with cracked screen (received)
?57 for Nokia Lumia 800 with faulty speaker and microphone (awaiting payment, seriously who would pay this for a faulty WP7 phone?!)
?50for HTC Radar (recieved)

Assuming my PC only fetches ?100 that means I will have raised just ?330 (give or take) so only need to find ?30 to keep both phones but then comes the question why have two phones.

May have a play with both to see which I prefer (although opening the HTC 8X will affect resale value) and perhaps even write a review. Advice on which one will sell for the most and where best to sell would be appreciated.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The other option is to get rid of both and get a 920, the fact that a 920 costs as much as both a 8X and 820 combined makes me wince. Advice appreciated.

Also anyone know how to stop a ebay addiction :angel:

Sydney Cooper

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I would sell both and get the 920. It's the better phone overall, it's going to get all of the cool updates microsoft has in store and it probably will last you longer (quality vs quantity). I would definitely not keep the HTC. As others have said, HTC doesn't do much for their windows phones. Nokia really does a good job of keeping things updated and making sure you get the most out of your phone.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I would go for the 8X over the 820, it has the better resolution and better aspect ratio, HTC also provides regular updates for the 8X so no worries there. Only thing it lacks is the Nokia exclusive apps.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sell both and get the 920. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The 8x looks great, but go back through the archives on this site and count up the number of articles about HTC updates, releases, news, etc.

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
So the 8X arrived this morning along with the Philips Bluetooth speakers (btw EE giving these away with all PAY&GO purchases over ?49.99 - well worth it) and I made the mistake of opening it and turning it on. Fell in love with the HTC, amazing phone.

Nokia 820 may be better for the apps and updates but for now the HTC is going to be my primary phone, can't put it down. Seller of the 820 allowed me to cancel the transaction so upgraded my phone, got rid of some stuff and made a little profit. Not bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb