Lumia 1020, Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5... what is your choice and why?

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for brining up the one thing that people seem to ignore or completely forget about.... SECURITY! Not only does the windows phone platform offer seamless integration in to the PC OS with the largest installed base in the world, it does so with unparalleled security. Personally I am very worried about the future of digital privacy and having piece of mind when it comes to my mobile devices is very important to me. In my opinion this should be one of the first things people look at when choosing a device and the ecosystem it operates within, not camera megapixels or customization!

Well, you see, that factor is one which wasn't, isn't, won't and can't be specified in the spec-sheets, because this sector of mobile industry (if I may express myself in that way) is very volatile and unpredictable. Every system has its own vulnerabilities, some have more of them, some have just a handful or not even that much. I can line those systems up from top to bottom in seems of security, and I can say that I wouldn't say anything wrong, if you know what I mean.

Most people (and by that I mean the not so tech-savvy like some of us) simply aren't aware of the privacy concerns that are currently in progress, or the ones that will be in the future. The only way for them to get to know the vulnerabilities and all that stuff is either to search for news about them online, or asking someone that they know, who has better knowledge about such things.

If I admit, I am also worried about the future of privacy, if not even a bit paranoid, because I flipped out a bit about the "ability of UK border police to confiscate your phone and its' contents" news on iMore. But as far as someone has the knowledge and a healthy state of mind to protect his/hers privacy, nothing bad will happen to them.

That's just my opinion, we know everyone has its own :).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for brining up the one thing that people seem to ignore or completely forget about.... SECURITY! Not only does the windows phone platform offer seamless integration in to the PC OS with the largest installed base in the world, it does so with unparalleled security. Personally I am very worried about the future of digital privacy and having piece of mind when it comes to my mobile devices is very important to me. In my opinion this should be one of the first things people look at when choosing a device and the ecosystem it operates within, not camera megapixels or customization!

Your idea of seamless integration must be different to mine. In any case security on an iPhone is just as good as WP, it's only those people jailbreak it that would have any issues. Also lets not forget how much MS was involved with NSA, they actually helped them get around their encryption.

So I don't hold much 'belief' in my privacy with any company that has my data.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Your idea of seamless integration must be different to mine. In any case security on an iPhone is just as good as WP, it's only those people jailbreak it that would have any issues. Also lets not forget how much MS was involved with NSA, they actually helped them get around their encryption.

So I don't hold much 'belief' in my privacy with any company that has my data.

I think that exactly this ability to jailbreak the iPhone exposes the largest amount of vulnerabilities to it, as well as rooting on Android. And IMO, you can't be totally sure of the security of your data if it's at any companys' servers or if I may say so, "posession".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As for which phone. I've never used an iPhone but I know many people who are very satisfied with theirs and they're not complete fanboys but actually people who use them at a high level. Same goes for people I know who have Android phones.

I personally think the 1020 won't have much impact against the iPhone or Android phones. It's a niche product and most people won't see the need for one.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
apparently she's dead now :-(.

There's another thread going about this where I've commented about it in detail. I think it's highly unlikely anything to do with Apple being responsible. My guess is an after market charger. There's been big issues with them here in the UK where a child got hurt by one.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If I had to choose between those, my primary would be the iPhone 5 and the 1020 secondary. In reality, it'd be the next iphone with a larger battery and the 822

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I won't (or can't) get the 1020 is the fact it is an AT&T exclusive. I would get it in a heartbeat if it was on Verizon.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I would choose a Lumia 1020 (I own a 920) over the S4 and iP5 because to me I like the UI of WP and the market is way to saturated with Galaxy devices (S4, Zoom, Active, Mini, Mega, Note) and there has even been reports of the S4 lagging. The iPhone is just a "Im cool" device and all the devs develop for it because its a cash cow for them. For me I don't use apps really outside the core apps that come with the phone and I really like the integration between my PC and phone. To me its just a seamless and overall great experience. I never pay attention to people who complain about "lack of apps".....how many can you use really.

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 1020.

It's hardware from Nokia; say no more.

Okay . . . I'll say more since that wasn't too specific.
--Nokia, in my opinion, is second to none in the hardware department. The devices are always solid and sexy (nowadays anyway, lol)
--WP8 runs silky smooth. No hiccups, no freezing. My motto for electronics: Function before features -- and WP is really picking up the latter.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I like WP as much as the next person but if you're concerned about your "digital privacy" or want a "secure" phone probably best to stick with a regular ol' feature phone and take yourself off of Twitter, Facebook, Linked-in, candygram or whatever it's called lol Not trying to be snarky but a no-name brand phone with no features that only makes calls (and maybe texts) is probably the safest way to go (other than smoke signals and Morse code). But of the three brands you mention, the previous poster is dead-on correct for the reasons he gave.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I would hold off on that iphone for now, a Chinese woman got zapped with her i5.

The iPhone 5 sold over 5 million units within 3 days of its launch. If my chances of getting zapped are 1 in 5 million I think those are pretty good odds.

But the i5 has actually sold many times that amount since it was launched, so the odds are even more favorable than 1 in 5 million.

There is a greater probability that I will be struck by lightning this year (between 1 in 750,000 and 1 in 500,000 according to Wikipedia).

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Listen people, any one that thinks their personal data is strictly... Well personal in our current age of digital conversion and interconnectivity needs to catch a wake up, all of our SMS, IM and phone calls are being tracked monitored and stored if need be, I dont want to go in to conspiracy theories here but this is the reality of a post 9/11 world.... But dont take my word for it, just ask Edward Snowden. The fact is, you can expect your personal information to be on a dozen different servers around the world that large corporations and governments can easily access. But this is a given and although disturbing and uncomfortable to think about it is not these large powers that pose a threat, they use this massive database of information for everything from national security monitoring to targeted marketing through personalized advertising. What I am worried about is the individual... That hacker that manages to get in to these databases and get our address, phone numbers and banking details...... But I have gotten waaay off topic here, fact is Windows phone gives me a sense of security and trust that I just dont feel when working within other ecosystems U_U

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Well said In Limbo! And exactly how I feel! Windows Phone is a straight to the point, no nonsense OS and it does it all in style and speed. Nokia's Lumia devices has won multiple design and innovation awards and no one can deny they are rock solid to boot! I can respect that Windows Phone is not for everyone and I always say "different stokes for different folks ^_^" but personally I love the WP interface and will be the first to admit its not perfect.... Yet, but that combined with Nokias awesome hardware has made me fall in love and they will have my allegiance for some time to come!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb