What would you do? Lumia 928 or Galaxy S4

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
At the moment I have a an S4 and 928 in my hands. Both are killer phones so I'm not sure which one I'm going to send back as the 928 is supposed to be an exchange for the S4.

Pros:
S4 is a little quicker in browsing and renders pages better
S4 is lighter and thinner. Feels better in pocket
928 camera is better. Pics come out less noisy especially in low light.
WP8 is simple and less clunky
S4 has notification light
928 battery life may be better
928 audio cleaner. Calls I have so far seem like a land line.
Build quality is good on both phones.

Cons:
928 heavier
928 lack of good cases
S4 almost to big for one handed use - sounds stupid but I typically check my phone and navigate with one hand.
S4 is almost layered with tech gimmicks. I honestly don't need to browse with my hand hovering over the screen.
The S4 got a huge update over the weekend. When is the next update for the 928?
928 missing notification light.

I really want to give the 928 a long term go, but not sure as the S4 is just as nice. It has it issues but the hardware on both devices are rock solid. What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: What would you do?

You're asking a Windows Phone forum if you should choose a Windows Phone, right? Hang on a sec.....

Ok - done laughing... :wink:

Seriously, though, some of us have been using Windows Phones for more than two years, even nearly three. Myself, I'm on my fifth Windows Phone. Why would I be on my fifth instead of getting an iPhone (sorry, but I'm very anti-Android)? Because I love the OS. And the latest hardware is just awesome. You can't go wrong by keeping the 928.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Only you can answer which phone suits you. :)

Clearly the bias here will be a Lumia, but you need to be happy with what you choose.

Have fun!

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Well I would say your opinion is probably on the far end of the windows phone spectrum then. However I do appreciate it as its good to hear from someone who is a long term user.

From looking at other posts are you the one who has had like 7 928 replacements. I thought that was typically android based hardware that had that many issues.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

You're probably better off with the S4. I will bear the burden of taking the 928 off your hands 😉

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Well I would say your opinion is probably on the far end of the windows phone spectrum then. However I do appreciate it as its good to hear from someone who is a long term user.

From looking at other posts are you the one who has had like 7 928 replacements. I thought that was typically android based hardware that had that many issues.

I've been an early adopter for a long time, and I've worked in manufacturing, so I understand that in the beginning of a new product is when you'll have problems, and I accept this as the price of being an early adopter. I've had four 928s. But the vast majority of people have not had problems.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

In all seriousness I really posted in this in the WP forums so I could get the WP users input. From an app perspective I'm really only missing the nest app to control my thermostat. I was able to pin the web page control to the home screen to get around it though.

I do also see the potential for a user that has a surface, win 8 PC and phone to have their data synchronized.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

In all seriousness I really posted in this in the WP forums so I could get the WP users input. From an app perspective I'm really only missing the nest app to control my thermostat. I was able to pin the web page control to the home screen to get around it though.

I do also see the potential for a user that has a surface, win 8 PC and phone to have their data synchronized.

As an Xbox / W8 / Surface / 928 owner, I can tell you that having everything unified is pretty awesome, and that's even accounting for the fact that it doesn't work anywhere near as well as it should (I'm looking at you Smartglass / Xbox) and will in the near future. The ecosystem is just now coming together, and after installing the 8.1 preview on my Surface RT, I could not be happier with where it is going. I'm missing one important app for me (Bloomberg Anywhere), but after years of having access to it, I realized I don't really need it as much as I thought (and it's supposedly on its way).

Also, it's probably worth considering privacy on some level. While I have nothing to hide on my accounts, it doesnt mean I want companies to have access to it (nor the NSA, but at this point it doesnt seem like thats realistic). If you look at some of the data that Google gets through android (Motorola at least, but I suspect most of them are the same: see Jay Z galaxy launch of two weeks ago), you are pretty much giving them your usernames and passwords for everything except for your domain password (and they transmit it to their servers unecrypted over http).

The 928 is an awesome phone, it takes incredible pictures and feels great in the hand. The app situation is getting much better much faster than I anticipated (you should have seen it in November when WP8 launched), and it is an important part of Microsoft's emerging ecosystem.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

My wife and I are Android users (phones/tablets) for several years. We were looking at the S4 as our next definite upgrade. We researched it thoroughly and saw the same conclusions as you (OP) posted. Then we checked out Win8 and then WP8. I upgraded my laptop to Win8 and haven't looked back. After we tested the 928 and other WP8 devices, it was a no brainer. The OS is so well laid, smooth and easy to use. Almost all of the apps we use are already on WPS...minus my bank, but pinning the mobile site can do for now. Now I'm settled on two ATIV S NEO's and two Win8 hybrid tablets...still haven't settled on which ones. My Prime and EVO3D are going to my son. I say go with the 928 and know that Nokia stands behind their products.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

As was mentioned earlier, what do you expect the responses to be here? :winktongue: If you would post the same question in androidcentral the advice would be 180? from these. All these forums are very biased so don't expect a straight answer anywhere.

That said, I'll throw in my 2?. If you look at my signature, you'll see that I actively use Android, iPhone, and WP8. In fact, before the iPhone 5 and the 521 I had a Lumia 920. I traded it for the iPhone 5 due to higher cash value, then I bought a 521 when they became available. I'll list my opinion on the pluses for each platform. I can't comment on your devices specifically since I've never used either. Some points that are pros for me may not apply to you.

WP pros:
  1. Fast, smooth, fluid.
  2. A whole different UI from Android, iPhone
  3. Live tiles
  4. One of the best cameras currently available in a smartphone
  5. Integration with Microsoft's services
  6. People Hub

My opinion on WP8 comes mostly from the 920 I used for awhile. There were lots of reports of connection issues with the 1308 update, but I never experienced it. Also light bleed, dust under the lens, etc. Mine was flawless. The wireless charging is great!

Android pros:
  1. Google Now (this is almost enough of a reason by itself to choose Android)
  2. NFC (more functional than WP)
  3. Apps out the wazoo, and also apps not available on WP such as banking, Mint, MLB, Flipboard, Instagram, although WP has made lots of progress lately
  4. Higher quality apps than WP (definitely debatable, but true for the apps I use that are on both platforms)
  5. Ability to do anything that can be done with a smartphone
  6. Integration with Google's services

Again, this is my opinion, and I'm sure readers will take issue with some of the points. And as a disclaimer, I use a Nexus 4 as my primary device, so that's what I'm basing my Android views on. I've heard reports of the S4 having serious lag, then other users say it doesn't, and still others say it did until an update. My Nexus 4 is just as fast & smooth as the 920 or the iPhone 5.

You have both devices, so you're familiar with both. Maybe you know deep down which one you want to keep? :wink:

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Thanks TGP. That was actually the info I was looking for from someone who has used multiple platforms. I was a long time blackberry user. Then went to Android for a few years while it was good to see that progression and cutting edge tech I think it has just gotten to cluttered. The S4 has so much crap and I only used about 25% of it.

I decided to keep the 928 and picked up a wireless charger last night. I will say that it was pretty cool to just drop that phone on the pad at the end of day. I'm looking to simplify and not consistently have problems with my device. Hopefully this is it. Thanks for the help.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

More reasons to choose Windows Phone over Android: :wink:

Android Master Key Security Breach Affects 99% of Andoid Phones - dBTechno
Android accounts for most mobile malware, says F-Secure | ZDNet
IPhone and Android Apps Breach Privacy - WSJ.com
Android Trojan Records Phone Calls - Slashdot
http://on.msnbc.com/ujR4Zk
Android Trojan Taps Your Phone Calls
Close to 10% of Android Apps festering pits of spyware, worms and premium SMS senders, getting worse | WMPoweruser
Google Pulls Malware-Infected Apps from Android Market | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
More Android Malware Uncovered - Tech Europe - WSJ

This is why I actively campaign against Android. Yes, I'm an admitted Windows Phone phanbois, but I'm not opposed to competition, as that improves what we have. In fact I talked my boss into an iPhone from an Android. But what I'm against is the invasion of privacy that is Google.

eao1991

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Mobile platforms all have their positives and negatives. Most of the articles you linked to are old and have been dealt with. Androids popularity, similar to Windows PC, makes it a favorable target for exploits. I've been with Android for a while and have never had an issue. That security breach discovered by Bluebox security has already been patched by Google. Issues arise when people sideload apks from unknown sources and it leaves them susceptible to damage. People are warned against this when they check 'unknown sources' yet they still do it. Android is perfectly safe to use and I actively convince people to use it if I believe it will suit their needs best. Since I've had experience with multiple mobile platforms I know I can provide an unbiased opinion to people.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Android is only as safe as you believe it is. If you're not worried about your personal information, it's perfectly safe. The articles I posted should not be taken as "old and dealt with" (which isn't an entirely true statement), but should be looked at as a trend. As for sideloading being the source of problems, as you state, how many people who were tracked by Angry Birds sideloaded it? The fact of the matter is that the problems are several, but a few of them are no testing of apps prior to publishing them, no way to remove apps from phones when they are discovered to be malicious, and a completely open operating system.

Yes, Android presents as a greater target and thus will have more attacks, just like Windows has more attacks than Mac, but that is not an excuse. I've bashed Microsoft for years for problems with the Windows OS, and called IE "Internet Exploder" and Outlook "Look Out!" for years, but they've done a pretty good job of not repeating their mistakes when creating Windows Phone. Their apps are all tested prior to publish, can be removed remotely by revoking a security certificate, and have isolated things such that one app cannot access another app's data.

No, anyone who says that Android is "perfectly safe" to use is fooling not only himself but all of the poor souls that he convinces to believe the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle