• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
07-22-2013 07:29 PM
46 12
tools
    If not Microsoft, Nokia with their ability to do a little more with Windows than other OEM's should add swipe gestures of the n9. I had an n9 as well and loved the swipe gestures. A few of those gestures added to Windows phone to get rid of the extra bezel could really perfect the hardware.
    I think they are starting to port them.. Like for example with the always on clock.. Hope that Nokia brings more gestures to the platform..
    07-16-2013 08:15 PM
    Yep and also swipe to unlock I believe I saw in a video somewhere. I always loved that feature as well. The z10 was really good with gestures as well.
    07-16-2013 08:19 PM
    3G bug was more hardware problem with one batch of devices, and random rebooting before updates is also known issue but if you have, if you have a hardware OK updated 808 there are no problems :) and WP also has some quirks...
    Overall Windows Phone hasn't been problematic for me...but then again the 808 with quirks and all has been totally manageable (aside from that slow loading library...grrr).
    07-16-2013 08:22 PM
    Nah.. it was too late for Symbian.. Nokia messed up big time with that project, and now they are paying the price. The really unfortunate thing is that the whole OS is going to go in the can for no good reason. They did try, but at the same time too many mistakes were made.

I mean.. they had a touch screen UX concept way back in 2005, and personally I believe that this is when they made their one biggest mistake.. they didn't think the public was ready for a fully touchscreen device, but we all know what happened 2-3 years later.

Nokia 7700-7710 Symbian OS, Series 90 UI, v.2.0

Nokia 7700 - Full phone specifications

The kernel is very elegant, and it has tons of potential, but.. it needs a lot of work, and we seem to live in a world driven by commercial success and money, so.. there is no room for such projects. I firmly believe that in the right hands, Symbian can still be on top of all of them.. it was made for mobile communicators from the get go (Psion, etc.)

Getting a bit nostalgic :(

Here are some memorable milestones in the Symbian history.. just looking at all these reminds me that everything we have today, is pretty much based on all of these pioneering devices.. one way or another.

A bit of history for all of you new Nokia fans out there :)

1991-1995 Psion Series 3 ... pretty much the first mobile computer running on something that will later be renamed to Symbian.

This is the Psion 5mx (1996-1997) next to a Nokia E7. This is based on EPOC32, which will later become the base for Symbian 6.0

This is basically the first smartphone with a touch screen..

Ericsson R380 (2000)

2001 .. the first communicator by Nokia. And what do we have here.. omg.. a file manager ?

Then this classic.. the Siemens SX1 (2003), which was the first with the new S60 UI .. I believe

Same year, another classic .. Nokia 6600

2002.. the SE P800

2003 .. the P900

2007 ... Nokia E90

2007.. the highest point in Nokia's mobile history.

N95

In the same year Motorola tried with the Z8

In 2008 we had this beauty.

E71

Sammy with the GT i8510 (2008)

Towards the end of 2008 they went into panic mode.. tried to port/adopt the S60 UX for touchscreen use, and that was a disaster

5800.. still sold a bunch tho

And of course the infamous N97... all in all.. the nail in the coffin

Even Anssi admitted it..

Samsung had Symbian running on a Cortex A8 with the Omnia HD i8910 towards the end of 2009

SE with the Satio.. their last proper camera phone.. waiting for the Homani now

After 3 years of agony, Nokia finally updated the UX for touch screens. It wasn't perfect.. but way better than that hack job called S60v5

This is what they launched with

N8, E7, C7,C6-01

Then Symbian 10.0 came along and.. this is what we have today. Much better in terms of UX ..

700, 603, 701

And then Symbian 10.1 ... which came along with the 808 in 2012

Nokia 808 PureView - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by vlad0; 07-16-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Bkr11, Jnbs, tissotti and 4 others like this.
    07-16-2013 08:32 PM
    Awesome little stroll down memory lane. I agree it was too late but with the latest updates Accenture has shipped Symbian does not suck. Full blown push in parallel with Windows or Meego could have been pretty cool as a way for consumers to have more choice. Oh well it's over...Windows Phone or bust!
    07-16-2013 08:36 PM
    Awesome little stroll down memory lane. I agree it was too late but with the latest updates Accenture has shipped Symbian does not suck. Full blown push in parallel with Windows or Meego could have been pretty cool as a way for consumers to have more choice. Oh well it's over...Windows Phone or bust!
    its okay but the main issues are still there.. no support for newer SoC/faster RAM, which leads to a slow internet browser (unacceptable for today' standards), poor social networking .. despite the direct upload to fb/youtube/twitter from the gallery.

And.. lots of other small things.

What I am saying is that if it had proper attention, it could've been a competitor. Symbian has what it takes on a system level..
    07-16-2013 08:41 PM
    its okay but the main issues are still there.. no support for newer SoC/faster RAM, which leads to a slow internet browser (unacceptable for today' standards), poor social networking .. despite the direct upload to fb/youtube/twitter from the gallery.

And.. lots of other small things.

What I am saying is that if it had proper attention, it could've been a competitor. Symbian has what it takes on a system level..
    Can't say I disagree. I was pretty excited when Nokia announced Belle - Donna. It seemed like they were finally moving forward. And Meego at the high end was awesome. Shoot I had a n900 that I adored for a long time. I remember at first getting the n8 and being disappointed with everything except the camera after having used the n900 for months.
    07-16-2013 08:51 PM
    Gotta say though I am super impressed with Nokia's transition as far as speed to release after announcement. The n900 and n8 were absolutely ridiculous. The 920 was a touch painful. But from July 11 to July 16th pre order and finally shipping the 23rd? A+ for that! Now if they could have gotten this bad boy to 199 on contract and 549 that would have just been epic.
    07-16-2013 08:54 PM
    it's a bad engine not newer SoC/RAM that leads to slow browsing IMO...it was a lazy Nokia management that destroyed Symbian not the hardware/software
    07-16-2013 10:06 PM
    Gotta say though I am super impressed with Nokia's transition as far as speed to release after announcement. The n900 and n8 were absolutely ridiculous. The 920 was a touch painful. But from July 11 to July 16th pre order and finally shipping the 23rd? A+ for that! Now if they could have gotten this bad boy to 199 on contract and 549 that would have just been epic.
    Very impressive.. for Nokia anyway. I don't think they've ever launched as fast after announcement ever before..

it's a bad engine not newer SoC/RAM that leads to slow browsing IMO...it was a lazy Nokia management that destroyed Symbian not the hardware/software
    Its probably both..
    07-16-2013 11:10 PM
    no, i wont be upgrading to 1020. Im way too happy with my 808, and especially with its battery life. i dont think 1020 is substantial upgrade of 808, well then most of us has seen only the specs. I would reserve my comment on IQ till we get a full blown production device. what ever may be result, i wont buy 1020, i would rather buy 925, or something else with slim profile.
    07-17-2013 12:37 AM
    Can't say I disagree. I was pretty excited when Nokia announced Belle - Donna. It seemed like they were finally moving forward. And Meego at the high end was awesome. Shoot I had a n900 that I adored for a long time. I remember at first getting the n8 and being disappointed with everything except the camera after having used the n900 for months.

Same here, I was gutted when my N8 arrived - Symbian just felt like such a step back after using Maemo for so long. I missed the keyboard too.
    07-17-2013 03:37 AM
    i wont buy 1020, i would rather buy 925, or something else with slim profile.
    yupp, with 808&925 you have the best of both worlds
    07-17-2013 09:56 AM
    All 3 of them.. probably 3 of the best smartphones currently on sale.

Jnbs likes this.
    07-17-2013 09:58 AM
    808 is trully a great device, although, we can't deny that 1020 is an evolution from what nokia has been learning from these years (about camera and OS)

symbian may be a good OS, but wp is getting more and more updated and for me, it's already better than symbian, let me remind you that symbian sometimes freezes and takes toooooo much time to ''come back''.. But sure, if you're happy with your 808, I don't see reason to upgrade to 1020, altough, for me, it's cleary an evolution in many more ways..

The camera will be getting better along with the updates (sure nokia will make some mores), and wp8 is getting more matured.. so my opinion? I would take a 1020 over a 808 at anytime..
    07-17-2013 07:39 PM
    Yes, it just depends on your needs and usage. I have no major issues with Symbian.. after the latest updates its very stable, good battery life..

Also, it will be kind of hard to give up unlimited data here in the US.. for some reason AT&T doesn't care about Symbian smartphones and we can use the media net data plans .. $10/unlimited .. I've gone over 4gb several times and they didn't say anything. Comes very hand when I use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Anyway, here are some xenon samples.. I tried to find one that has similar iso value as the one from 1020

808:

https://7nwsww.dm1.livefilestore.com...09-04-2422.jpg

1020:

https://6dwsww.dm1.livefilestore.com...03431687_o.jpg

the 1020 is a resize from a full resolution photo just to make it fair since the 808 shot is taken in pureview mode.. I think they are both pretty good
    07-17-2013 10:47 PM
    Yes, it just depends on your needs and usage. I have no major issues with Symbian.. after the latest updates its very stable, good battery life..

Also, it will be kind of hard to give up unlimited data here in the US.. for some reason AT&T doesn't care about Symbian smartphones and we can use the media net data plans .. $10/unlimited .. I've gone over 4gb several times and they didn't say anything. Comes very hand when I use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Anyway, here are some xenon samples.. I tried to find one that has similar iso value as the one from 1020

808:

https://7nwsww.dm1.livefilestore.com...09-04-2422.jpg

1020:

https://6dwsww.dm1.livefilestore.com...03431687_o.jpg

the 1020 is a resize from a full resolution photo just to make it fair since the 808 shot is taken in pureview mode.. I think they are both pretty good
    So you have a 1020?
    07-18-2013 12:32 PM
    I wish.. I have an 808 and an iPhone 5 for some reason hah

Here another aspect that caught my attention.. the screen on the 1020 is better in every way except one, and that is contrast.. Its seems to be on Nokia N8 levels in terms of outdoor legibility according to GSMarena's test , and.. that is not a good thing, especially when you are using the screen as a viewfinder when you are shooting..

07-18-2013 07:19 PM
    I'm switching from 808 PureView to Lumia 1020, granted I have plenty of other smartphones around as well. Never used 808 PureView as a daily phone.

I admit right away that I'm a huge gadget nerd that likes shiny things. Nokia and Symbian combination to me was all those shiny things till around 2007, like it was for hundreds millions of other Symbian users when I switched to iOS and made a short stint to Android before I came back for N900 and N9. N9 that I especially loved.

I haven't been fan of Symbian for past 5 years and coming back for 808 PureView for me didn't do anything else than just steer me further away from Symbian than ever before. Nokia/Ovi Store was an horrible mess and that Symbian browser is some kind of a world wonder on how bad and slow it still is.Yes I know, Opera, but while its a lot better than default, it still doesn't do nearly good enough. It's like something from 2006 on a touch screen. Small wonder when Nokia had one of the best browsers around on Fremantle and Harmattan.
    Nokia got rid off AVKON on Symbian, but there to me has always been something lesser about the reliability of the UI smoothness on Symbian compared to smoothness of Maemo phones.

That said there has always been something special about the marriage of Nokia hardware and Symbian, or more like the very custom hardware that you could only find from Nokia Symbian phones. It's things like the music quality via 3.5mm on 808 PureView or N8 just being amazing or naturally the cameras. Nokia got very skimpy towards the end of Symbian when those devices really needed more RAM and power, but I guess that was expected right after the WP decision was made.

I'm still not selling my 808 PureView, it's a special piece of hardware, like N9.
    07-19-2013 03:35 PM
    They've always been "skimpy".. that was one of the main problems when it comes to management. They wanted the software team to perform miracles, so they can save money on hardware.. I am sure it worked, but it came back to bite them in the end.

They must have bought a ton of ARM11 CPUs because they never switched to Cortex based architecture, where Samsung did with far less experience in Symbian coding overall.

Anyway, I think that the 1020 is the first "real" Nokia with Windows .. not as pure as the 808 or the N9, but close enough I guess.
    07-21-2013 12:33 PM
    I'm switching from 808 PureView to Lumia 1020, granted I have plenty of other smartphones around as well. Never used 808 PureView as a daily phone.

I admit right away that I'm a huge gadget nerd that likes shiny things. Nokia and Symbian combination to me was all those shiny things till around 2007, like it was for hundreds millions of other Symbian users when I switched to iOS and made a short stint to Android before I came back for N900 and N9. N9 that I especially loved.

I haven't been fan of Symbian for past 5 years and coming back for 808 PureView for me didn't do anything else than just steer me further away from Symbian than ever before. Nokia/Ovi Store was an horrible mess and that Symbian browser is some kind of a world wonder on how bad and slow it still is.Yes I know, Opera, but while its a lot better than default, it still doesn't do nearly good enough. It's like something from 2006 on a touch screen. Small wonder when Nokia had one of the best browsers around on Fremantle and Harmattan.
    Nokia got rid off AVKON on Symbian, but there to me has always been something lesser about the reliability of the UI smoothness on Symbian compared to smoothness of Maemo phones.

That said there has always been something special about the marriage of Nokia hardware and Symbian, or more like the very custom hardware that you could only find from Nokia Symbian phones. It's things like the music quality via 3.5mm on 808 PureView or N8 just being amazing or naturally the cameras. Nokia got very skimpy towards the end of Symbian when those devices really needed more RAM and power, but I guess that was expected right after the WP decision was made.

I'm still not selling my 808 PureView, it's a special piece of hardware, like N9.
    808 is a special device and definitely not for everyone. I still can't see what you get from 1020 which you wouldn't if you would buy some cheapo tablet and continue to use 808 as a phone/camera/WiFi spot...
    07-22-2013 07:29 PM
46 12